WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Stanley »

Belle, they are very good to me.....
I didn't notice the broken tree when I had early walk so it could have been broken in broad daylight. D Whipp was there and I pointed out that it was in full view of the camera on Post Office Corner. What is CCTV for?
Feel sorry for the parents of the kids on the bus that crashed in the tunnel. No certainty who had been killed and problems with identification. The driver had only been on the road for 25 minutes and it was a new coach. I think I saw an advisory sign for 50kph, from the damage I'd say the coach was doing about twice that speed. The front third was destroyed. I wonder what the tachograph will tell them....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

Tree was definitely done Monday night, as it was still standing when I took Maggie out at 11

Then was down before 8 am when we were out again

Vandals would have done them all, this just looks like high spirits got out of hand, and the way it was staked didn't help and possibly promoted the activity. On top of which you can see from the stump that the tree wasn't planted very well as it has 'moved'
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Today's paper say the children who survived the bus crash have told their parents the driver was changing a DVD immediately before the crash.
Say only a little but say it well.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Gus gets two mentions in the BET today. One for getting the Pride of Barlick award and a nice pic of him on the front page collecting a cheque for Bosom Friends from Pauline Hunt.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Notice that Current Archbishop of Canterbury , Rowan Williams is relinquishing his post , to take up an academic role. I think I would like current Archbishop of York to take up the role , but it is a difficult one of both representing and leading the internals of the established church and somehow making the church popular and interesting without compromise on fundamentals of faith.
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

Got an appointment through for my balance problems today. They are sending me for one of these : http://www.stopdizziness.com/services_vng.asp

The wording of the appointment paper was a little worrying, I will need to be attended home from the tests because I may be disorientated, all good fun.......
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

Some very angry letters in this week's B&E
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was a good letter page in BET this week, some very pertinent comments. Remember Donald? He must be taking his pills regularly, good letter from him. Also a good one about Andrew Stephenson's weekly column, a tour de force of party political writing straight from Central Office.
Staggered across to the library with a box full of archives for LRO. When I got there they told me I would have to put it on a shelf near the back door, they aren't allowed to lift anything that heavy.... Never mid, not my responsibility now.... Bonus is I have room for more books on the shelf!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tardis

Post by Tardis »

Accosted in the co-op car park by Cllr Whipp, and exchanged greetings.

He asked me if I had come for the "clean up", I said no, and he replied "I didn't think so".

Such a rude man :disapprove: , I wasn't aware that there was a clean up on. I certainly haven't received anything from the Barnoldswick in Bloom team, and I thought that they were planting trees again today to make up for the broken Lime Tree. A task I have told them I won't do because I don't want to walk around like a zombie the day after.

I wouldn't feel so bad if I hadn't been chasing NFU people for the last couple of days for the Low Carbon project to get some farmers on board. That's like a secret organisation too.

I feel the urge for a very long walk
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

He didn't ask me! Of course, I am old and knackered....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote:Staggered across to the library with a box full of archives for LRO. When I got there they told me I would have to put it on a shelf near the back door, they aren't allowed to lift anything that heavy....
I know I shouldn't laugh but that was almost like a Two Ronnies' sketch Stanley!

Tardis, don't mention the NFU to me, I'll have a bad attack of the grumps! What a useless organisation, they've failed the farmers on almost all counts. Take BSE for instance - the NFU should have been aware of the research warning about BSE and given the farmers advise on how to prepare, but no, they're always reactive rather than proactive and whingeing on about `poor' farmers. The farmers would be a lot better off without the NFU!
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I paid for it Tiz! Knee gave me a hard time yesterday! As for NFU, from your mouth to God's ear. And they spent a fortune on a new HQ!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tardis

Post by Tardis »

Well, I have to give the NFU the benefit of the doubt at the moment, although I will agree about BSE, probably add in the Foot and mouth, and now the badgers.
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

New trees, on the Green and in Valley Gardens. I also note the extra staking, though I probably wouldn't have put the oak where it is.
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

Earby Town Council are looking for quotes to build them a new website.

Did wonder if OGFB could step in and offer a bit of the forum and a front page for their site.

That way all the stuff could be loaded and commneted upon and show Barnoldswick Town Council how it could have been done.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I alerted Doc on Friday. We have enough room on the server.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

It was good hear Evan Davies on the Today programme in Birmingham interviewing the boss of a factory whose business is `bending tubes'. Their tubes are probably in your car and kitchen appliances, but also in railway trains, aeroplanes and they are even in the Large Hadron Collider in Switzerland. This is the real world, a change from hearing about how important the `City' bankers are to the UK. Then they spoke to a former Ford director about how we always see pictures of car assembly pants and are told `this is how a car is made'. But it isn't. The Ford director pointed out that 70% of the car is made in other factories, smaller businesses supporting the final manufacturer. Let's here more of this!
Sunray10
Regular User

Post by Sunray10 »

George Osborne giving his budget speech. What a load of old nonsense once again. Everything going up, nobody will be any better of. Tories waving white papers, Lib Dems grinning all the time. Absolutely horrid. :sad:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Ray, I didn't listen to it, far better to read a good book. I've seen more budgets than you can poke a stick at and the sad truth is that they are almost always a staged occasion meant to convince us that the Chancellor is controlling the economy. The truth is that the piddling changes he is making affect a tiny proportion of the tax and spend. You will not see any difference in your daily life. He hasn't got the money or the room to manoeuvre to make any real difference, shifting deck chairs. The biggest political mistake was to reduce the top rate of tax. Regardless of any economic arguments 99% of the electorate will see it as the rich benefiting from the poor.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

On our way back from the shops we noticed a fairly tall man bending down to get into one of the old cottages, we have remarked many times that the doors are much smaller. Our ancestors must have been much shorter than us when the cottages were built. Probably down to a poor diet.
Say only a little but say it well.
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

Stanley wrote:I alerted Doc on Friday. We have enough room on the server.
Wonder if Kelbrook & Sough, and Salterforth Parish Councils might like a space too

They can only say no as a worst case, and they might provide revenue.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I've just read that "domestic and wild cats, who subsist only on meat, are unable to taste sweet compounds because of defects in a gene that controls the structure of the sweet taste receptor." Now, I didn't know that. Also that there are taste receptors in other parts of our bodies such as intestine and lungs.
http://www.monell.org/news/news_release ... in_mammals
Sunray10
Regular User

Post by Sunray10 »

Yes I think you are probably correct in what you say Stanley. We won't see any difference in our day to day living, just bits around the fringes perhaps. Its all just a complete sham.
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

I must spend too long at the co-op recycling bit, the upright fence by in front of the paperbanks was out of place with a re-inforced fence post down to ground level with a few bits of steel re-inforcement protruding. The site actually looked better without the fence in place. After shopping for bargains a couple of chaps with private tipper truck were out knocking out the broken bit of fence post , with new posts at the ready to put in place with instructions to re-instate the fence. Presumably a recycling collecting lorry had knocked the fence down.

Also noted recently planted ? silver birch on the half round bit of grass near the war memorial , junction Fern Lea Ave and Wellhouse Road , my least favourite tree , will quickly grow and dominate the scene and drop stuff all year.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Moh, you're right. With better nutrition average heights have increased over the centuries. Not thought to be evolution, just better food.
News this morning of the inquest result on Whitney Houston. She drowned in the bath and probably connected with her bad heart and liver condition after many years of addiction. Sad end.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”