WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Stanley »

Richard, I agree. That was what grabbed my attention about his interjection. Doesn't he have any minders? Not like the old days.... I remember when Hugh Dalton made an unguarded remark and had to resign! This is not the first time he has made comments in a personal capacity and yes, it does give one pause for thought.
I was disappointed this morning because once again, it's too cloudy to see the meteor shower.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

This report from a Malaysian news agency. LINK
It's coming to something when this is being reported in Malaysia but not a peep over here. All good information and bad news for the people who are so enthusiastic about the 'recovery'!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Kelloggs has teamed up with the Trussell Trust (source of the data in Stanley's link), pledging to donate 15 million breakfasts and snacks to people in need by the end of 2016. Interestingly, less than 5% of the people visiting food banks are unemployed yet the most common reason for needing to rely on them for food is delayed benefits payments. We have to be a bit cautious in how we interpret the reported big increase in people visiting food banks - the main reason that so many more people visit food banks now than in the past is that the food banks weren't there in the past.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

A porcelain pig with £19 in coppers in it is quite heavy.
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

According to the Lancashire Telegraph, some of the 180/280 bus services to Preston/Clitheroe/Skipton are also under threat in the Lancashire review of subsidies.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Tardis wrote:A porcelain pig with £19 in coppers in it is quite heavy.
It is indeed, evidence is now on Facebook. Not me, honest :innoc: but I was there.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Funny how a conversation can bring things to mind you had forgotten. It used to be quite common to hammer old pennies into the cracks in old oak beams. I think I put a few in at Hey Farm.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

I have a 1925 Farthing and a 1967 Threepennybit, whoopie, goodness knows why I hang on to them.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Julie in Norfolk
Regular User

Post by Julie in Norfolk »

I have a 1956 and a 1962 half crown in my purse. It's a sentimental thing, brother and sister.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with a pencil, cut with an axe.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

The other week when we walked up to Gordale Scar, we found this fallen tree trunk at the side of Gordale beck on the path up to Janet's Foss. There was another a little further on as well.

Quite a few different denominations when inspected, silver included. The log is about six foot long which you cant see in this close up.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Cathy wrote:I have a 1925 Farthing and a 1967 Threepennybit, whoopie, goodness knows why I hang on to them.
1967 was the last year in which the brass thruppeny bit was minted but I doubt you'll make a fortune on it Cathy! Now, if you had a 1937 Edward VIII one you'd be laughing all the way to the bank. Only 12 were minted, 6 are still to be found and the last one sold went for £30,000 this year. Those 6 could still be sitting in the bottom of old handbags or purses!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice pic Ian. Good to see the old customs carry on, I wonder where it originated?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Got an update on Bancroft this morning from Allan Smith who has taken the trouble to read my book on Bancroft.

"I was chatting (by email) with Harry Moore at Bancroft. Thought you might like a jist of the content.
My Dad says he installed lighting at Bancroft when he was an apprentice. This would have been around 1949, before his National Service. Harry sent a copy of a paragraph from your book regarding Nelson Engineering. I Showed it to my Dad and he said ‘That’s correct as far as it goes. Nelson’s were responsible for the heavy engineering and sub-contracted the electrical work to UNO (JUNO perhaps – sounded like he said “You know”) Engineering run by Charlie Tidsworth (I think that was the name) who Dad worked for. He was up a ladder fitting one of the light units and dropped one of the glass covers onto a loom below. The weaver whose ‘piece’ was ruined was, to say the least, not best pleased.'
Dad also said he did electrical work at Barnsey, Wellhouse, Long Ing and Pickles Sheds. Allan Smith 2013"

It goes straight into the index! Nice to have additional information cropping up. Many of you will know Charlie Tidsworth I think.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Could Tidsworth actually be Tidswell, as in Tidswell and Saunders Elelectricians.
Thomo. RN Retired, but not regretted!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I was about to offer the same Thomo.
Ian
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

They operated from a shop at the top of Skipton Rd, opposite to the hill leading to St James Square.
Thomo. RN Retired, but not regretted!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Almost certainly, I had a vague idea there was something wrong with that name.
Last day of eye drops!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tardis

Post by Tardis »

Foursquare

Anyone know how the analytics work, if at all?
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Watch out if you need to redirect post in the future. In the past you could pay Royal Mail a fee (currently £50 per year, I think) if you moved house or if you needed to redirect the post of your parent, for example. We did this recently for Mrs Tiz's parents' post to redirect it from their London home to our Somerset address when they went into the nursing home so we could deal with their affairs. But not all of the post is being redirected. When we were at the London house last time a pension statement letter was put through the letterbox so we rushed out to catch the postman and ask him why it wasn't being redirected. But it was a man in the uniform of TNT, on a TNT bicycle with a TNT satchel. We asked him to tell his company the redirection address - his reply "I can't, I don't have any way of contacting them". Work that one out!

It turns out that TNT is going into a partnership with Lloyds Bank to deliver post in competition with Royal Mail and they've been doing the trial in London. The service is cherry-picking and aimed specifically at financial and official post so it will mean many important letters will no longer be redirected simply by paying for a Royal Mail redirection service. Royal Mail is trying to get the Lloyds/TNT partnership stopped on the basis it is anti-competitive - Royal Mail will be left doing the expensive `end of the line' deliveries.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Not that I am detracting from your post, Tiz...but I couldn't help being impressed that you could get mail redirected for 12 months and for £50.
I think it is only three months here, with an option to add another three months at the end of that period...so you pay twice...and it is well over £50 each time! But you only get to redirect for a maximum of 6 months.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Panny...Stanley.
I read up on 'money trees' before coming to UK in September and bought some coins from those here who wanted me to bash them in and make a wish. There are several about...some near Ingleton. I found many of the locals didn't have a clue about them.
They are a relatively new thing. Some contain old coins, but they are more or less worthless. It is the making of the wish that is fun.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Maz, this seems to be a modern craze but in old houses you can find coins hammered into the cracks that are much older. Mainly old pennies.
What grabbed me was the last eye drops going in at 10AM yesterday! Right eye a lot less irritated this morning, it'll take a few days for the effects to really wear off. Feels like progress.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

LizG

Post by LizG »

Marilyn wrote:Not that I am detracting from your post, Tiz...but I couldn't help being impressed that you could get mail redirected for 12 months and for £50.
I think it is only three months here, with an option to add another three months at the end of that period...so you pay twice...and it is well over £50 each time! But you only get to redirect for a maximum of 6 months.
When we moved about 4 years ago I had the mail re-directed for 12 months and it was $75. I thought that was really good value since a lot of the effort is manual. You need to move states Marilyn!
Liz
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Liz, Maz, I checked the Royal Mail web page and their redirection within the UK is:
0-3 months £21, 3-6 months £33, 6-12 months £50.
When doing a redirection here you have to be careful because if a letter is sent to a mispelled surname, or to the address without a person's name, it doesn't get redirected, just shoved through the original letterbox.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

The 12 month redirection I put in place for our Dan's mail has just come to an end. The only stuff still coming through are the demands for an unpaid monthly premium on his motor insurance due after he died in the RTA. The same insurance company were informed of his death within 15 minutes of the fatal accident and have had a death certificate forwarded to them but they are still demanding money from the lad. I'm afraid they can whistle, I'm not renewing the redirection.
Ian

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”