COMPUTERS, THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: COMPUTERS, THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY

Post by Tizer »

Plaques, to quote Gloria, "You're my hero for the day!" I hadn't noticed that was possible and I usually do as Kev says and delete stuff from a quote. I've often cursed because in some other forums I've been able to highlight a specific sentence in the post that I want to quote, then click the quote icon and bingo up comes the new post with just that sentence quoted. But this doesn't work in the main OG posts and I never thought to try it in the posts when they are listed below the reply box. That the easiest way to do it Tripps, just as Plaques describes it.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I learn something new every day, I did try that method once and it didn't work. Never tried it since :grin:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have always simply highlighted what I want to quote and copied it and then pasted in the reply. It's easier now with the new version of OG because all you have to do is hit italics then control V and then the end key. Posting pics is the same, no insert box, just the img terminals with the cursor in the middle. If you have done copy image location in the gallery you just hit control V and end and Bob's your rich relation.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote: 12 Mar 2017, 04:07 I have always simply highlighted what I want to quote and copied it and then pasted in the reply.
That method only gives you a standard copy & paste and you need to key in quote symbols if you want to be sure the reader knows it's a quote. Plaques's method is easier and it gives the full quotes format as shown above. All I did was click Post Reply, press my Page Down key, highlight your first sentence, then click the quotes symbol in your post and bingo, there it is in full format.

Ian, ignore this until you finish your important jobs, but I don't suppose the forum software has an option to make the quotes symbol in the original post do the same thing? I know I've been able to do it in some other forums in the past. EDIT: I've just looked at that model railway forum that uses the same software as OG and it's exactly the same there as on OG, so there isn't likely to be any way to do it from the original post. Having said that, it's hardly any more effort to do it the Plaques way! :smile:
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Tizer wrote: 12 Mar 2017, 11:04 All I did was click Post Reply, press my Page Down key, highlight your first sentence, then click the quotes symbol in your post and bingo, there it is in full format.
Ooh, thank you! Just testing...
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I was told once during a course - 'never be scared of asking a question because you think you are the only one who doesn't know'

I think we've proved that was good advice. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I have never noticed this variation of posting before. I always quote the lot then delete what I don't want. I suppose its good if you only want an odd sentence from a large post though. :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

BBC R4 Listen Live still 'loading' and AWOL. Annoying! Just tried a different station, Radio Aire and it's as clear as a bell. Doubly annoying!!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Slow learner has just noticed that OG has gone SECURE. Well done everybody. Although the posting a reply screen suggests its not fully secure??
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 13 Mar 2017, 04:01 BBC R4 Listen Live still 'loading' and AWOL. Annoying! Just tried a different station, Radio Aire and it's as clear as a bell. Doubly annoying!!
Strange, it works here OK http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_radio_fourfm
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Stanley wrote: 13 Mar 2017, 04:01 BBC R4 Listen Live still 'loading' and AWOL. Annoying! Just tried a different station, Radio Aire and it's as clear as a bell. Doubly annoying!!
It's not AWOL Stanley, must be a problem at your end. :smile:
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

plaques wrote: 13 Mar 2017, 08:04 Although the posting a reply screen suggests it's not fully secure??
It does show the https now and is secure - Panbiker has been waving his magic wand over the site!
PanBiker wrote: 12 Mar 2017, 14:03 I suppose its good if you only want an odd sentence from a large post though.
Which I often want to do. There's another advantage too - when you want to quote from two different posts as I'm doing here. Once you put in the first quote, scroll to the next post you want to quote and repeat the `highlight & click' procedure. :cool4:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

BBC listen live still AWOL by all routes but listen again works fine...... I deleted board cookies. How do I delete cache that Kev mentioned.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley, If you use Firefox, go to the history tab then click Clear Recent History. You can select what to clear and how far back you want zap.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Ian, what do the last two items in that Firefox list refer to, i.e. `Offline web site data' and `Site preferences?
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

In a word, no idea! Do Mozilla say anything about it on a Google search?
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Sorry Ian, I asked because I thought you must have been looking at it yourself. I've done a search and found this info...

Offline Website Data: If you've allowed it, a website can store files on your computer so that you can continue to use it when you are not connected to the Internet.
Site Preferences: Site-specific preferences, including the saved zoom level for sites, character encoding, and the permissions for sites (like pop-up blocker exceptions) described in the Page Info window.

I regularly clear my Recent History in Firefox but haven't had these two items ticked. I guess I didn't know what they were when I started on Firefox! I haven't, to my knowledge, allowed Offline Website Data so that doesn't matter to me and I might as well tick if for clearing. However the Site Preferences could mean I lose something if I ticked it. Your comment to Stanley drew it to my attention, thanks. It's better to know what these things are.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

My history clears every time I log off. I have found cache and cleared it. Sound works fine in all other applications. All other BBC functions I have tried work but BBC R4 listen live is still just loading thank you.......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Have you tried a different browser Stanley?
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Wendyf wrote: 15 Mar 2017, 07:06 Have you tried a different browser Stanley?
It's Firefox that seems to be the issue, works OK in Chrome
Firefox on the left, Chrome on the right.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Wendyf wrote: 15 Mar 2017, 07:06 Have you tried a different browser Stanley?
Stanley, it's easy to use the Chromium browser on Ubuntu. I use Firefox most of the time but open Chromium for those odd times when a video won't run in Firefox. To install it click your icon for Ubuntu Software Centre. In the search box at top right put in Chromium. When it comes up just click the install button. After installation it should give you an icon on the left of your screen - if not, click the `dashboard' icon (top of your vertical icon column) and type in Chromium then click the icon that appears. This will open the browser and put an icon for it on the left of your screen. Right click this icon and then click `Lock to launcher' so that it stays there when you close the application. Any time you want to uninstall Chromium just go to the software centre and click it's Uninstall button.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks. I shall leave everything as it is while I wait for Firefox to realise the problem. I am quite happy with FM for the moment and every other sound application works on Firefox, it's only BBC R4 that is AWOL.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I had a bit of a dig in the BBC R4 site and came up with this....

I deleted all the cookies associated with this page but no change. Any thoughts?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I could be clutching at straws here but, if I open the R4 Listen Live in Firefox it just sits there "Loading". I then tried the 'Start' button and away it went
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Big Kev wrote: 11 Mar 2017, 07:54 I'd be lost without a connection, I did look at fibre again yesterday but they still want too much money. My ADSL connection still meets my needs so I can't justify paying the extra.
Kev, I don't know which provider you're with but have a look at these cheap fibre deals which have just been flagged up to me in an email from MoneySavingsExpert.com. Deals
Also, there are these Plusnet deals. I'm on the £32.50 one and get close to the 38Mbps speed Plusnet

Stanley, I hope Kev's suggestion gets your radio link working! :smile:

Return to “Technology & Communication”