'Owt else or Any Other Business

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: 'Owt else or Any Other Business

Post by Tizer »

If you haven't already seen this then you must watch it. Grant does an excellent job of presenting it and interacting with all the craftsmen. Stanley should enjoy the visit to the Hainsworth heritage woollen mill in Stanningley. It's great to see such experienced and dedicated people in a family business doing exceptional work and often using older technology, sometimes because the modern tech isn't up to the job. Best TV I've seen for a while! :smile:

`Coronation Tailors: Fit for a King' LINK
The Great British Sewing Bee’s Patrick Grant goes behind the scenes at the family firm making ceremonial uniforms for King Charles’s coronation. Tasked with creating thousands of bespoke uniforms for the big day, the Kashket family have been making spectacular ceremonial wear for four generations. As well as discovering the skill and craftmanship required to create these unique garments, Patrick also meets some of the men and women of the armed forces who will wear them.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Lamb of God who taketh away the sins of the world.

That phrase is worth giving a few moments of critical thinking to.

I noticed the music was credited to Tarik O'Regan. All bases covered there. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Wow - I was wondering how that good looking lady in a very plain green frock and carrying a huge sword had gatecrashed the Coronation' got past security, and installed herself at the head of affairs.

I now find that it was in fact Penny Mordaunt MP.

Respect. . . :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Tizer wrote: 06 May 2023, 11:04 If you haven't already seen this then you must watch it. Grant does an excellent job of presenting it and interacting with all the craftsmen. Stanley should enjoy the visit to the Hainsworth heritage woollen mill in Stanningley. It's great to see such experienced and dedicated people in a family business doing exceptional work and often using older technology, sometimes because the modern tech isn't up to the job. Best TV I've seen for a while! :smile:

`Coronation Tailors: Fit for a King' LINK
The Great British Sewing Bee’s Patrick Grant goes behind the scenes at the family firm making ceremonial uniforms for King Charles’s coronation. Tasked with creating thousands of bespoke uniforms for the big day, the Kashket family have been making spectacular ceremonial wear for four generations. As well as discovering the skill and craftmanship required to create these unique garments, Patrick also meets some of the men and women of the armed forces who will wear them.
I agree, excellent program and good to see a lot of the older end of the family still contributing their knowledge to the firm.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Yes, and there's something life-affirming about seeing people so committed to doing absolutely the best in their work and especially where one slip, one distraction could result in having to start all over again or incurring a cost in thousands of pounds. So different to my experience of trying to get a repeat prescription marked urgent from the local GP surgery to the pharmacy across the road. It took 3 days. I could have carried it across but `Sorry, it's all electronic now so we can't give you a paper prescription'. The surgery receptionist was sympathetic, she too doesn't understand why it takes so long and just said `everything takes longer now we're on computers!'
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I only see it on one level David. Street theatre to bolster the concept of monarchy.
I saw part of the BBC programme telling us the official version of the Charles story and marvelled at how they skated over the whole sordid Diane affair and once more presented the investiture at Caernarvon Castle of Charles as Prince of Wales as 'tradition' when it was of course pure invention largely designed by Margaret's squeeze, Anthony Armstrong Jones. Worth reading Snowdon's Wiki biography for a flavour of what monarchy really is. (LINK)
All right, I'm an old spoil sport. I have read and understood too much history!
One thing I couldn't get out of my mind was the small matter of bladder control. I speak as a man who has to devote time and attention to this matter on a daily basis. I note that many of the troops were on parade at seven in the morning and people were taking up their seats in the abbey by eight o'clock. What state were they in by the time the pomp and circumstance was over? What provisions were made for the troops and the crowds.
Sorry but that's the way my mind works.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

I agree with Tripps their are still skills out their but the bulk of them are moving away from the 'advanced' economies to where labour and time is cheap. Gradually 'AI' is taking over what we call the 'arts', music, paintings, and computer generated acting (cartoons and games). Much of this 'AL' is profit motivated and would collapse if people just ignored it and did their own thing.

On Bladder control sales of incontinent pads and deodorant probably soaked up much of the worry.

PS avoid milk and cheese which can cause bladder irritation.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

It's our founder,Doc's birthday today. . . I guess it'll be Rum where he is now. Happy birthday Doc. :smile:

Yates Birthday Port -
"It was the custom of the founder of the firm Yates Wine Lodge,the late Mr Peter Yates to set aside a quantity of fine PORT WINE, with which his friends and customers could drink his health on the occasion of his birthday April 22nd. The wine was bottled and sold under the trade name of 'Birthday Port' and always at a considerably reduced price.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I have wished Doc Happy Birthday on his Facebook page from all on the site. :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:biggrin2: :good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Have a look at THIS BBC report on the possibility of Octopus Farming.
A plan to build the world's first octopus farm has raised deep concerns among scientists over the welfare of the famously intelligent creatures. The farm in Spain's Canary Islands would raise about a million octopuses annually for food, according to confidential documents seen by the BBC. They have never been intensively farmed and some scientists call the proposed icy water slaughtering method "cruel."
This is part of a wider debate on the exploitation of sentient species as a food resource. This even extends to insects, researchers say they have found evidence that some insects are sentient.
We are going to see more of this sort of thing as pressure grows to find food for humanity as climate change affects growers. This may seem far away in the future to comfortable Western countries but this is a mistake. These matters are closer than anyone thinks. It's time we woke up.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Take the trouble to watch some of the Youtube videos on mechanised fresh food production. eg; filleting salmon. and ask what happens to all the waste product? Never mentioned in the videos but a guess will say fed back to other animals including humans. Pumping animals full of antibiotics and growth hormones to keep them 'healthy' for consumption can only lead to more human medication to counteract the problems caused by medical pollution at the start of the food chain.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

The octopus farming report was published back in March and there seems to be no further news since then. The company, Nueva Pescanova, has spent the last 10 years in bankruptcy negotiations and now may be taken over by one of three companies, including Canadian company Cooke and American company Red Chamber. There seem to be plenty of businesses wanting make money out of our 8-legged friends. :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It seems to have been the proposal for ice water stunning that brought the subject of Octopus Farming back into focus.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have some of my engines staying with me as lodgers for a while. These are just outside my bedroom door and lift my spirits every morning when I switch the light on.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

The ongoing Prince Harry court case got me to thinking about phone security. He says his phone was "hacked" by journalists when actually I think they just accessed his voice messages remotely using the default PIN, which he had unwisely failed to reset.

That got me to wondering what the PIN was to my phone, and I realised I had no idea. I assumed the default was say 0000 or 9999 or some such. A little research showed that they now have a five digit pin, and I was able without too much hassle set up such a number on my phone, using just the phone software.

Further - I have found that barring a number does not stop them from getting through to you. All calls from a barred number just go staright to answerphone and invite a message. There is no indication to the caller that their number has been barred. I suppose it is assumed that after several failed attempts - they will guess what has happened.

I apologise if everyone already knew this but people I have spoken to have been quite unaware of it all. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

There are so many things to worry about...... It's probably a product of my age but that's the first thing that comes to my mind when I read a perfectly sensible report like that. I have the same reaction in Covid19 Corner. I know I should be sensible and 'do something about' these things but there are so many other pressing matters like managing my body to spend my available time on. I was just thinking yesterday that the amount of time I spend on simply functioning and surviving increases slowly all the time. Do you remember that song.... 'Water in the well's getting lower and lower.....' Walter Brennan.

The sun comes up and the sun goes down
The hands on the clock keep a-goin' 'round
I just get up and it's time to lay down
Life gets tee-jus, don't it, hmm.

My shoes untied but I don't care
I ain't a-figurin' on goin' nowhere
For I'd have to wash and comb my hair
And that's just wasted effort.

The water in the well just gettin' lower and lower
Can't take a bath at six months more
But I've heared it said and it's true, I'm sure
That to much bathin' will, will weaken you.

I opened the door an' the fly's swarm in
Closed the door and I'm sweatin' again
And in the pros... (a huchh) crack my shin
Just one darn thing after another.

Old brown mule he must be sick
I jambed him in the rump with a pin on a stick
He humped his back but he wouldn't kick
Now there's something c***-eyed somewhere.

A mouse a-chewin' on the pantry door
He's been at it fer a month or more
When he gets through he'd sure be sore
'Cause there ain't a darned thing in there.

Hound dog howlin' so forlorn
Laziest dog that was ever born
He's a-howlin' 'cause he's a-settin' on a thorn
An' just to tired to move over.

The tin roof leaks and chimney leans
An' there's a hole in the seat of my old blue jeans
And I ett the last of the pork and beans
Just can't depend on nothin'.

Cow's gone dry and the hens won't lay
Fish quit bittin' and it's Saturday
Troubles are pilin' up day by day
And now I'm gettin' dandruff.

Grief and misery, pains and woes
Debts and taxes, yea, so it goes
I think I'm gettin' a cold in my nose
Life get tee-just don't it?...

I've not quite got that bad yet but I can feel it coming on! :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

In the serendipitous way that the Interweb thingy has - I was musing about the top secret documents that Donald Trump was found to have at home in his bathroom. Boxes and boxes of them - whatever for? - and it reminded me of Billy Liar and the calendars which he had hidden in his wardrobe having stolen the postage money.

Google took me to this clip Billy Liar and rather than calendars my interest was drawn to the milk dispensing machine in the station. I remember those - I think it was 6d for a carton. Perhaps they should make a come back - better for you than Red Bull I'd say. :laugh5:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Billy's loss there, Terrence's gain! Everyone knows (including the Kinks) that Terry meets Julie at Waterloo Station every Friday night. :extrawink:
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

PanBiker wrote: 10 Jun 2023, 11:54Everyone knows

Except me I'm afraid. . . . Not a clue. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I have picked the video with convenient lyrics for you David

Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Thanks for the info. I'd heard of the song but the words beyond the title were a bit of a mystery. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

They refer of course to Terrence Stamp and Julie Christie.
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Terence Stamp was evacuated to Kelbrook for a time during the war. He continued to send an xmas gift to Nanny Watson up Dotcliffe for the remainder of her life.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I didn't know that either David. It has not hampered my life....
Wendy, thanks for that LKF. Pub quiz material I reckon.... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”