GOOD TV

Tripps
VIP Member

Re: GOOD TV

Post by Tripps »

Paul Whitehouse is a comedy genius in my (purely personal) opinion - Bob Mortimer is a solicitor who is quite likeable, but would have been well advised to stick to that profession.

Vic Reeves -his previous partner is memorable (for me) when in "Who do you think you are" he visited the home of a long lost aunty on the Wirral who as she welcomed him into her home said -"am I supposed to know you"? :smile:

I've just watched "The Remains of the Day" (again). all the way through this time- that's a first I think. There's a lesson in that for other 'drama' writers. I understood all the plot including the time shift devices. That doesn't happen very often. Restores my faith in myself. :smile:

Ismael Merchant - James Ivory - Ruth Prawer Jahbvala - a class team. :smile:

PS I just had a look at 'The Woman in the Wall'.

AS PG Wodehouse said - it could never be mistaken for a ray of sunshine. . . . :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I almost joined you with Remains of the Day David but it's not very long since I watched it. A good film as you say.....
I consiodered having another go at Woman in the Wall but common sense won out very quickly and I went for an evening on Youtube.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I thinks it's a really good portrayal of the mental states that a lot of the women inherited after their inhumane treatment by the nuns. A surprise round every corner as it is panning out. Ruth Wilson is perfect in her role as Lorna. It's disturbing of course but rightly so.
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Well I did my bit to try and improve the viewing figures for Hollyoaks but I seem to have failed. :smile:

Unconnected (perhaps) - but got me thinking - a contestant on Bradley Walsh's show "The Chase" last night had never heard at all, of any of these three people - Ken Dodd, Benny Hill, or Tommy Cooper. He was about twenty - and why should he have? He was eliminated - and the other three who were all much older,went on to win £120,000 between tham. Bad luck. The "generation gap" writ large,

It's the only game show I can tolerate. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Youtube seems to have decided that I am into nubile young ladies putting tents up in the rain.
It's worth watching a few of them to get a handle on what is seen as 'good' food these days. It's very rare for one of them to use anything that isn't highly processed and sealed in plastic.
We have a home grown channel. Kent Survival. Not nubile, bald and slightly overweight but he knows how to cook food out in the woods!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

During a hot sleepless night last night I heard on the radio someone talking about a gadget which sounded a lot like this one.

Wall projector

He said the screen size can be up to 120" and my first thought was - who needs a TV anymore? Just need a fibre connected internet and a clear plain (magnolia of course) wall. :smile:

I thought it was a lot more expensive than this one though, and he compared the cost to a giant TV.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

My walls are covered with pictures or book shelves.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I'm watching "Carry on Cleo". It's quite amusing. :smile:

Alf Garnett is the slave dealer - from Marcus et Spencius.

I've finally seen the quote "Infamy, infamy - they've all got it in for me".

Even has a joke in Latin - Nihil expectore in omnibus" "no spitting on public transport"

I've surprised myself. . . . :smile:

PS
The film premiered at London's Warner cinema on 10 December 1964 and went on to become one of the 12 most popular movies at the British box office in 1965. Colin McCabe, Professor of English at the University of Exeter, labelled this film (together with Carry On Up the Khyber) as one of the best films of all time.

In 2007, the pun "Infamy, infamy, they've all got it in for me", spoken by Kenneth Williams, was voted the funniest one-line joke in film history. The line was not written by Rothwell but borrowed with permission from a Take It from Here script written by Frank Muir and Denis Norden.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

David, I was surprised last night to see a digital projector exactly like the one described by you used by a techy young lady camping out in the woods, I think in South Korea......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Binged watched the first four episodes of The Woman in the Wall last night. Nearly gave up in first episode, but stuck with it, well worth a watch. The nuns have a lot to answer for.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Avid watcher Gloria. I reckon Ruth Wilson should get an award for her character portrayal.
Ian
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

PanBiker wrote: 11 Sep 2023, 11:03 Avid watcher Gloria. I reckon Ruth Wilson should get an award for her character portrayal.
She is superb isnt she?
Gloria
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

An altogether different treatment of the subject was the film Philomena

I've watched it, (though I'm far from Steve Coogan's biggest fan) but could not do the same for the TV series.

Stanley wrote: 11 Sep 2023, 02:15 digital projector exactly like the one described by you used by a techy young lady camping out in the woods,
I thought you went camping out to get away from modern media.
Besides where would you find a magnolia wall when you needed one. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

We watched Philomena on a cruise ship, and it’s a good job there were no nuns around. The Woman in the Wall is having the same effect. It is well worth persevering with.
Gloria
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

David, It seemed to work quite well on the wall of the tent! And yes, I thought the aim of camping was back to nature but not so in Korea or Java which is where these camping in the rain movies seem to be made. They carry their gear in a truck and seem to have every mod con, including folding waste paper bins.

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

It's camping Jim - but not as we know it. :laugh5:

As I mentioned-who needs a television?

Shame the proramme content has not kept pace with the hardware development.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I agree David. It fascinates me as does this trend towards ASMR and the soothing affect of the sound of falling rain...... A long way from our ex army 'two man bivvy' experience when we camped with the choir.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've been enjoying the snooker on ITV4 (Apart from the know it all commentators, Alan McManus particularly, who talk over the action with trivia about player's careers which I for one am not interested in. I'm here for the match!)
Last night Mark Williams beat Hosein Vafaei 6-3 and today is in the final versus Mark Selby. I shall be there!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

There is a new Time Team Special called 'Digging up the Band of Brothers' which premiered on YouTube last night. Time Team joined up with the group of armed forces veterans, who use archaeology as therapy, to help them excavate the site at Aldbourne in Wiltshire where Easy Company of US Paras were based for training. Very interesting and worth a watch but be prepared for the return of Tony Robinson who is presenting the Specials.

snapshot_m.facebook.com_1696059035178.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I saw the trailer for that and must admit Wendy that the mere mention of Tony Robinson put me off completely.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Stanley wrote: 01 Oct 2023, 06:59 I saw the trailer for that and must admit Wendy that the mere mention of Tony Robinson put me off completely.
The team were very keen to get him involved again. I'm a Patreon member and there have been videos with some of the original people involved explaining how they appreciated Tony's part in the programme and his ability to pull a story together from all the info (or lack of info) that was being gathered over the 3 day digs. Channel 4 pushed him out because he wasn't young and attractive!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I went to bed but I see that Mark Williams beat Selby in the final at Cheltenham. Good, he was my choice.... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Stanley wrote: 02 Oct 2023, 02:53 I see that Mark Williams beat Selby in the final at Cheltenham
I missed the end, didn't realise that was the final, and spent much of Monday and Tuesday channel hopping to find the snooker. :laugh5:
Still don't know why they call Selby 'the jester from Leicester' - quite the opposite from what I saw.

I watched Public Eyeon Talking Pictures TV last night.

Unusually the Indian chap. and his wife were the villains of the piece - which could never be remotely considered in today's more enlightened times. More chance of them being the Prime Minister and his wife these days, than criminals in a drama. :smile:

Interesting that a half of bitter cost seven and a half pence, so 15p for a pint. There was a comment about decimal currency so it must have been after February 1971. If only my income had been linked to the price of best bitter. Perhaps we need a 'quadruple lock'? :laugh5:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Watched the Tubular Bells 50th Anniversary Concert on Amazon Prime. A very good rendition of the album with some amazing acrobats/dancers. Well worth a watch in my opinion :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

More chance of them being the Prime Minister and his wife these days, than criminals in a drama. :smile:
David, I think that depends on what your definition of a criminal is.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “TV”