MEDICAL MATTERS

Marilyn
VIP Member

Re: MEDICAL MATTERS

Post by Marilyn »

I am now awaiting an op. Have another appointment ( and may need another MRI...damn damn damn...) but just have to wait for a phone call to clarify times and dates. Hopefully that will all be sorted in the next fortnight or so.
Doctor went through the scans meticulously with us and answered all my questions, and was very understanding about the pain I am in. He said that if I get to the point where I can't cope with the pain, I am to go to our local hospital and they will transfer me by ambulance like they did the first time, and they will relieve my pain. ( I've had quite a few bed days! )
He showed us on the MRI the exact spot where the nerve was compressed by the ruptured disc. It was fascinating. Nerves look like thin white strings of cotton on the MRI.
I just want it sorted. He did say that the operation will not relieve back pain, but will cure the Sciatica/numbness etc in the leg. That's ok - I don't actually suffer much back pain anyway.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Backs are so difficult Maz. Best of luck and I hope you get the outcome you need.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Got an email from my sister this morning. "My childhood friend, Sharon passed away on 7th Feb. She was allergic to penicillin and they gave her amoxicillin causing her to have a heart attack-at Airedale hospital."

Be careful out there.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Oh no...that's terrible. I expect there will be a proper investigation...
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Not good, having experienced both LGI and Airedale hospitals recently. I know there is a huge difference in the record keeping between the two trusts. LGI or certainly the Neurosurgery department that I was in was heavily IT orientated, medical records accessed from a laptop, treatments and medication entered into same after checking for known allergies at every dispensing and cross checking with wrist bands. Written notes are made up after the event usually by the student nurses and basic obs info (maybe taken during the night shift) transferred from the written record to the IT system via tablet. Laptop trolleys are stationed all up the central corridor and can be accessed by all clinical and therapy staff. It was similar when I was in the new AAU department at Airedale also having experience of the A&E which is also relatively new (both new departments are next door to one another and were built at the same time) they operate the same regime. The older sections of the hospital which have not yet been refurbished and updated are still on the old notes at the bottom of the bed. Apart from my transfer notes from LGI to Airedale when I was handed over late at night which went to the nursing station, I only had two sets of obs on my sheet before I was discharged after my lunch. One system is obviously a whole lot better than the other and unfortunately it will depend on where you are actually being treated.

I had my orthotic review today for the Boxia Foot Up that I was issued with from the Burnley department. I told Cathy who rang that it was much better than the previous one that I had which had lost it's efficiency, partly due to the design. The Boxia is a different design and the elastic arrangement that is the lifting mechanism is a lot more robust and adjustable. If I have it on for longer periods though the ankle cuff does tend to push down and irritate the top of my foot and affect the circulation to a small degree. Not really a problem for me in the longer term as I was happy to report that I only use it now for longer sessions outside with my trainers. I don't use it at all indoors or if I just pop out on town for shopping. Walking in my Moccasins or my stocking feet indoors seems to have helped stimulate my toes and I can now move them quite a bit more than before. I was happy to leave any further contact in my court, I have the telephone number for the department and can ring any time if I have any concerns.
Ian
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Marilyn wrote: 11 Mar 2019, 03:20 Oh no...that's terrible. I expect there will be a proper investigation...
I haven't any more details apart from the brief e-mail from my sister. I don't know why Sharon went into Airedale and whether the heart attack was brought on by Amoxicillin or not, it's quite possible that there was an underlying cause. People often look for something to put the blame on.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"People often look for something to put the blame on." Quite.....
Diabetes clinic yesterday. Bloods and BP are dead on track. I was surprised to see I am actually slimmer and lighter than last time. I must be shrinking.
I expect the call to go for examination to Airedale any day now, if I haven't heard within the next week I have to mail Helen who will chase it up for me....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good news yesterday. I got appointments for my next procedure and the pre-op assessment which has to be done because the cystoscopy will be under general anaesthesia. So April 3 and April 15 are booked into my social calendar. I hope my optimism is confirmed by the assessment! Jack will be spending a night with Jackie Taylforth.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

I know Stanley and others have said many times how fortunately we are to have the NHS. I would say how civilized we are. Have a look at this BBC report on the cost of insulin in America. Insulin.. I know from reading the some of the OG posts that many of them are diabetic or near diabetic. In America this would be the road to bankruptcy. A big money spinner for the pharmaceuticals and insurance industries but of little benefit from those who need the drugs. No wonder our compassionate Tories are keen to privatize the NHS.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Quite P! My condition is minor compared to many but even so, in the US treatment would not be affordable. Insurance is not the answer either, my friend David Moore had a very comprehensive policy but 3 months into treatment for a severe stroke the company pulled the plug on him citing small print in the contract. I have seen people kill themselves under that regime rather than bankrupt the family......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I received my re-booked appointment for my Aorta scan this morning. Same place (Yarnspinners, Nelson) 3rd May. I had to cancel this last year as it clashed with a more important issue. :extrawink:
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Colin had his last week and got a positive result.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I had private medical insurance paid for by the big company I worked for over a few years but I discovered that they only paid for visits to a consultant if it led to surgery.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Tizer wrote: 18 Mar 2019, 16:58 I had private medical insurance paid for by the big company I worked for over a few years but I discovered that they only paid for visits to a consultant if it led to surgery.
That's a nasty bit of small print...

I have an excess of £100 in any February to February year, I've had £300 worth of physio on that so far but further investigation is now required. I left the last session barely able to put weight on my knee, it's a worry when the physiotherapist says 'oops'.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I agree Kev...... Good luck with it!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

For the golden oldies who may think they have missed out on the Aorta scan an explanation can be found here.Aorta Scan. basically when you become 65 the check is offered automatically. If you are already over 65 you will have to consult with your doctor about past histories etc.

Big Kev. My only knee trouble was due to rotating about my knee joint as I got out of the car. In effect the muscle had become lapped over the side of the knee bone and was stretched when I did this manoeuvre. Making sure the muscle was in its proper place and planting my foot squarely in position as I climbed out cured it.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

plaques wrote: 19 Mar 2019, 08:43

Big Kev. My only knee trouble was due to rotating about my knee joint as I got out of the car. In effect the muscle had become lapped over the side of the knee bone and was stretched when I did this manoeuvre. Making sure the muscle was in its proper place and planting my foot squarely in position as I climbed out cured it.
That is one of the issues I have, along with stability when standing in one leg, walking downhill and crossing my right leg over my left. Physio reckons it's a cartlidge tear, I did say there seemed to be something moving about as it only locked up sometimes but then, what do I know? :laugh5:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

There's news this morning that `A shortage of cancer doctors will hamper the ability of the NHS to provide cutting-edge care, experts are warning. A Royal College of Radiologists census of 62 major UK cancer centres found more than 7.5% of consultant posts were vacant, with services maintained only by large amounts of overtime.' (BBC) What it doesn't mention is a report on the weekend that that cervical cancer screening is in crisis because many of the centres are being closed down (The Times).
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Tizer wrote: 19 Mar 2019, 10:24 What it doesn't mention is a report on the weekend that that cervical cancer screening is in crisis because many of the centres are being closed down (The Times).
Yes, and it's one of the easiest to stop development of if caught early. That's the point of Cervical screening it can detect cells before they become cancerous.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I saw that report on the closure of screening centres as well Tiz. Just one more example of the way lack of forethought and under-funding is undermining the fabric of society.
The knee problem.... Picking farm milk up involved lifting a 168lbs kit and taking all the weight on one foot as you swivelled to throw it on the wagon, effectively doubling the load on the joint. Multiply this by about 300 a day..... I get the same thing in my right knee if I over-stress it or rotate on that foot without thought. I suspect it's a very common syndrome. I describe it as 'the knee giving way under you'. Always accompanied by a sharp pain.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

With my recent loss of all muscle memory down my right side. I still very occasionally get the momentary feeling that my right knee is going backwards, or tries to. It's the two muscles and tendons that run up either side of the kneecap and its what the knee bend squat and hold exercise is designed to strengthen.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

The glyphosate weedkiller story rumbles on. There's a big difference between carefully spraying a chemical onto ornamental garden plants by hand and industrial spraying hundreds of acres of food crops with big machines that contaminate the surrounding air with the chemical. But this distinction seems to be escaping the lawyers and news media...
`Weedkiller glyphosate a 'substantial' cancer factor' LINK
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've always though that Tiz. I think back to all the herbicides we used to spray on contract, they contained the equivalents of nerve gases. Must have had a charmed life!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Another all clear cystoscopy for Col yesterday. He was hoping to be signed off but they want him back in another year just to be sure.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's good news. Just the result I want on the 15th of April!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”