TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Post by Stanley »

We're still a shade warmer than you Cathy.....
Yesterday we had a heavily clouded afternoon but it stayed dry. Still heavy overcast at 20:00. First thing this morning we had a thunder shower, I saw a distant lightning flash and looking on the web I see there is a cell active out to the East. We had very heavy rain for a while but it has stopped now. The glass is up on 1009mb. The forecast is for a dry day but overcast. The southerly wind is moderate and gives a high of 22C and a low of 15C with a -2C chill. The outlook gives us a thundery wet day tomorrow and then a brighter and dryer week, just a bit cooler than we are now.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday ended with heavy overcast and during the night I saw a couple of distant lightning flashes. This morning the sky is clear and the glass is down a shade on 1008mb. The forecast is for a dry start with sunny intervals but with thunderstorms coming in after noon and lasting into the night. The constant SE wind is light and gives us a high of 20C, a low of 14C tonight and a -2C chill for most of the day. Tomorrow could get thundery in the afternoon as well, the rest of the 6 day outlook is for similar weather to the last few days.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday we had a gloomy afternoon with showers and at 20:00 it was so heavily overcast it was going dark early. First thing this morning we had a light breeze and it was cool and dry under a clear sky. I've just looked outside an stars are still visible. The glass is down with a bump on 1002mb. The forecast is for heavy rain to come in by 06:00 and last until midday by which time it will have moderated to cloud with sunny intervals and perhaps light showers. The constant SE wind is light to moderate giving a high of 19C and a low of 12C tonight with a -2C chill. The six day outlook is for similar weather but perhaps a bit less rain......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday it was dark early again after a heavily overcast end to the day. First thing this morning it was dry and cool with an overcast sky. It hasn't changed since. The glass is down slightly on just over 1000mb. The forecast is for a cloudy day, mainly dry and light rain showers early this evening. The constant NE wind is light and gives us a high of 17C, a low of 13C tonight and a -2C chill during the day. The six day outlook is nit exciting, cloudy weather, slightly warmer than today and not a lot of rain.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's rained gently for most of the morning but then it bated and I took a chance and had a short walk, a sit opposite the bookies and some light veggie and fish shopping....It's dry at the moment but I wouldn't like to take any bets on how long for!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was showery but I found a gap to have my midday walk and sit. At 20:00 it was heavily overcast and going dark early. First thing this morning it was calm, cool, dry and overcast. The only change since then is that the overcast must have thinned because there are a couple of stars visible. The glass is on 1000mb and falling. The forecast is for sunny spells until midday, then cloudy with occasional showers. The northerly wind will be light giving us a high of 17C and a low of 12C with negligible wind chill. The outlook is for similar cloudy weather, perhaps a degree or so warmer.
05:10.... we have light rain which wasn't on the hymn sheet.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've had my walk and a sit. Very pleasant out there. The bookies is closed down and all the posters gone out of the window. They are either taking respect for the Queen very seriously or they have closed down.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday after noon we had some seriously heavy rain. I'm glad I wasn't out in it! By 20:00 it was calm and dry but still overcast. This morning it is calm, dry and overcast and the glass is well up on 1010mb. The forecast is for an overcast day and apart from the chance of a shower now, a dry day. The constant light NE wind gives us a high of 17C, a low of 12C tonight and only a -1C wind chill. The outlook for the next week is for brighter and slightly warmer weather than today.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've had my walk and a sit opposite the bookies. I can report that the lights came on in Ladbrokes at 13:00 hours and customers arrived almost immediately. The gaming machines are powered up but there are still no flyers in the window. It looks as though yesterday's closure was their version of respect......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday saw a brighter end to the day and at 20:00 we had a brighter sky as night fell. This morning it was calm, mild dry and only light overcast. The glass is up again at 1015mb and the forecast is for a mainly sunny day. The southerly winds are light and give us a high of 20C and a low of 15 tonight with minimal wind chill. It looks like a very pleasant day. The six day forecast is for cooler overcast weather.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The forecast has firmed up and we have heavy rain starting this evening at about 19:00 and lasting until tomorrow evening.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday the rain came in as forecast and by 20:00 it was wet and windy. It was the same first thing this morning and the glass is down on 1006mb and falling. The forecast is slightly improved from what it said yesterday, we are promised a break in the rain from 08:00 to 13;00 so my midday walk might be on the cards. The mainly SW wind is moderate and gives a high of 217C and a low of 8C tonight with a -2C chill at times. Tomorrow we are promised a sunny day but after that the forecast is for colder weather.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Hopefully a repack the tent day tomorrow. :smile:
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Miserable day....
20220912_172244.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Looks nice and warm at yours :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Wendy is right, yesterday was a depressing day, the fine wetting rain never really stopped until around 20:00 when the sky had cleared. This morning it's calm, clear and we have a full moon.The glass is up on 1008mb and rising. The forecast is for full sun all day. The light wind is NW until noon and then NE after that giving us a high of 18C and a low of 8C with hardly any wind chill. The 6 day outlook is for overcast and cooler weather.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Is Wendy's log burning stove playing with fire? Regulations require flammable materials to be at least 6 inches away. Looks nice and cumfy though.
Is that one of those thermocouple generator fans on the top of the stove? Another something for nothing invention. :geek:
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Yes Ken, there are two fans on top of the stove and they are quite effective. Regulations? :smile: Do you mean the logs? Common sense is used and we wouldn't be able to do that if it was a cast iron stove but the sides have a double walled steel construction which don't get more than warm. Most of the heat goes into the back boiler.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

On Eigg it was a matter of getting the logs dry enough to burn well. This Jotul CI stove used to get red hot but never fired the logs.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Wendyf wrote: 13 Sep 2022, 08:02 there are two fans on top of the stove and they are quite effective.
A friend of mine bought one several years ago and it was very expensive, I saw them for sale last year, in Aldi, for less than £40. I wonder if the price will go up again if more people move to solid fuel stoves.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

We have had ours for a number of years, Col thinks he bought them on Ebay and that they were under £20 each. These are very similar....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heat-Power-S ... ect=mobile
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I reckon my friend got conned, he definitely mentioned a 3 figure sum. One of the reasons I never looked at getting one when I lived at Park Street.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I remember Heather and Elaine had one on their canal boat......
Yesterday was a brilliant sunny day. Late afternoon the sky got a bit milky and by 20:00 it was a bright end to the day and a clear night. This morning it is cool, clear and calm, we have a brilliant full moon again. The glass is down on 1005mb. The forecast is the same as yesterday, sunny and dry and clouding over in the late afternoon. The light NW wind is constant and gives a high of 17C and a low of 9C with a slight wind chill all day. The 6 day outlook is for bright, dry but cooler weather. We are looking at the beginning of the heating season I think..... Deep Joy!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've had a walk and a sit in the Town Square with a milky coffee after a bit of light veggie shopping. Very pleasant as long as you had a good coat on. Some people had been fooled by the sun and were looking distinctly cool.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday stayed dry and sunny. At 20:00 it was going dark and it was calm and clear. This morning it is still calm and clear with a good moon overhead. The glass is up slightly on 1007mb and the forecast is for it to cloud over before dawn and then broken cloud and sunny intervals from mid morning onwards. The NW wind is light to moderate and gives a high of 15C and a low of 6C tonight with perhaps a -2C chill in the afternoon. The outlook is for a colder day tomorrow then similar weather all week. Definitely a nip in the air now.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”