Coronavirus (Covid19) Corner

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Re: Coronavirus (Covid19) Corner

Post by Whyperion »

South Africa has a younger population , more youngsters, fewer oldies (relatively). BBC reports covid spreading in workplaces taking out a high number of staff with infections. The Queen cancels her Christmas. As UK switches off the inbound passenger Red Light quarrentine arrangements, France adds clear testing for travellers from the UK and restricts the reasons for travelling.

Evening Update
Aside from the near 90,000 cases reported, we have conflicting information, unless it is sloppy BBC reporting.
UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) chief medical adviser Dr Susan Hopkins told MPs that there were now 15 people in hospital with the Omicron variant, but Prof Whitty said the "real number" will be "much bigger than that.
Presumably Hopkins means Identified with Omicron, with Whitty thinking that not all hospitalisations have been sequenced.
While present deaths with covid remain about 150 ( and this does not seem to be an overall number of deaths exceeding previous five year average numbers ), the power of omicron will only reflect in death numbers from about 14 days time. Happy New Year.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Just an FYI, LFTs are available for delivery.
Screenshot_20211216-181335_Chrome.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm watching developments. At the moment I think I'll keep away from the family over Xmas..... (So like the home life of our dear queen....)
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I have been reading recent news stories that the reported Omicron related death, in London, was an unvaccinated conspiracy theorist. I will continue watching.
Probably too early to call it but I can't see a significant increase in hospitalisations or deaths, in relation to infection rates, yet. I will remain optimistic.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Big Kev wrote: 17 Dec 2021, 08:09 I have been reading recent news stories that the reported Omicron related death, in London, was an unvaccinated conspiracy theorist. I will continue watching.
Probably too early to call it but I can't see a significant increase in hospitalisations or deaths, in relation to infection rates, yet. I will remain optimistic.
And me. Rochdale's numbers hardly rose yesterday but Trafford increased considerably . But numbers mean nothing , its hospitalisation and deaths that mean things.
If you keep searching you will find it
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Eldest grandson (14) has tested positive for Covid-19 with a LFT. He 'aches a bit', other than that he says he feels OK. 2 of his sisters and his mum had it a few months ago. Despite all being in the same house, my son hasn't caught it yet.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Big Kev wrote: 17 Dec 2021, 08:29 Eldest grandson (14) has tested positive for Covid-19 with a LFT. He 'aches a bit', other than that he says he feels OK. 2 of his sisters and his mum had it a few months ago. Despite all being in the same house, my son hasn't caught it yet.
Interesting that the females got it all together, but no males at that time.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Gloria wrote: 17 Dec 2021, 08:59
Big Kev wrote: 17 Dec 2021, 08:29 Eldest grandson (14) has tested positive for Covid-19 with a LFT. He 'aches a bit', other than that he says he feels OK. 2 of his sisters and his mum had it a few months ago. Despite all being in the same house, my son hasn't caught it yet.
Interesting indeed. Eldest offspring is still negative, he'll keep testing on a daily basis (LFT availability allowing).
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Big Kev wrote: 17 Dec 2021, 10:48
Gloria wrote: 17 Dec 2021, 08:59
Interesting indeed. Eldest offspring is still negative, he'll keep testing on a daily basis (LFT availability allowing).
Our Isla (12) contracted it a couple of months ago and had very similar mild symptoms. Carla, Ant and Finlay dodged the bullet.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

The media speculation around the impact of the Omicron variant is very annoying
need-more-input.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Nick Ferrari phone in

I heard the call from the chap's step son live. I don't remember hearing any mention of Omicron Variant throughout. Perhaps it's me, but I listened again and still didn't. The call was totally convincing and quite detailed. What concerned me most was that he was described as 'a virtual recluse' who had only left his flat to put the bin out, and post a letter. Fits me really until the last few weeks. How did he become infected then? He didn't sound like a 'conspiracy theory mad man', just an ordinary person who was frightened, and read too much on the interweb. He was described as ordinary, healthy, clean living, and early 70's.

I'm suspicious of the figure of 'one death from Omicron variant'. For me it was plucked from the air and rapidly (by the end of the day literally) became widely accepted as the truth. Similarly I don't trust the figures for hospitalisations either. We will find out eventually.

I've no doubt this variant exists and a lot more infectious than previous versions. As to it's severity, reaction to existing vaccines and resultant hospitalisations- we'll see.

For now - I think Stanley's attitude is wise - though some family members will misunderstand your motives for isolation (tell me about it ) - and there is no way I would be going to any public restaurant - face coverings and table service or not - at the present time.

I remain hopeful that it is a milder version. Don't forget that when it all started the vaccine people said they could tailor it to a new variant in a matter of weeks. Assuming they are actually doing that for Omicron - we should have anew 'booster plus' by March / April 2021. That will coincide with the seasonal decline, and perhaps the next iteration. Seconds out - Round Four. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

My art friend had it a month ago, her husband didn’t get it. He tested every day
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

We have just done a lateral flow test before take Christmas presents to Claire this evening, negative as expected as we have hardly seen anyone all week, although Bob was at the Santa Special on Sunday at the park. We always test on a Friday and after mixing with a large group of people, which is why we choose Fridays
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Next test at Chez Kev is Monday, we're out in the evening to a Michael Buble tribute act at Pendle Heritage Centre.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

💉💉 COVID VACCINES PLEASE READ 💉💉

WALK IN CLINIC - COLNE HEALTH CENTRE

Sunday 19th December 8.30am - 1pm

Pfizer booster clinic

This Sunday, Colne health centres clinic will be a partial walk in clinic.

Available to patients who are eligible for the booster.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Thanks Kev, I'll pass that info on to my son.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

He says he will be there early so fingers 🤞
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Wendyf wrote: 17 Dec 2021, 18:06 He says he will be there early so fingers 🤞
:good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The only person I spend time with is Susan and so far that seems to have worked. Some of you might remember this pic....

4 generations at a blow in 1936. We did a replica 2 years ago when Kahara was born and I think we'll do one this year with Lily but just as a doorstep visit at Earby. I shall discuss it with Susan as she wants to do it. We are both realists, I might not be here next year.....
David, the thought that persists in my mind is that it would be a shame if I caught it off the kids or they off me. It is not a matter to be taken lightly so I shall isolate despite having dodged the bullet so far.
Later.... Listening to the news about Covid it becomes obvious that even more restrictions are going to have to be brought in to prevent people associating in crowded venues, chief amongst which are the already hard hit 'hospitality venues'. It remains to be seen how close to lockdown this becomes but from the look of it, very close. The SAGE group of advisors are already urging the government to implement these closures now and not wait until after Xmas.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I read yesterday the three jabs are thought to be 85% effective. France has decided to bring in home testing kits! Now their numbers will go up. The States are expecting omicron to arrive after Christmas.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 18 Dec 2021, 04:01 The only person I spend time with is Susan and so far that seems to have worked.
Just for interest Stanley, do you test yourself before or after going on your days out with Susan?

Fine that you only appear to mix with her but you must come into contact with others on your jaunts and lunches out.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I've always been cautious about the daily infection figures because they only record those people who have submitted test results. So I was glad to hear clarification this morning from Prof Ferguson although it's not good - the current estimate is that the real the infection figure is about 3x the reported rate. So we now have about 300,000 a day.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Just been round to the Coop and there were at least three youngish males (20-30 age group I reckon) wandering round without masks? Separate shoppers and they didn't look the type to have underlying health conditions, they looked fit enough to me. Probably will be until they fall over. :sad:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 18 Dec 2021, 11:45 Just been round to the Coop and there were at least three youngish males (20-30 age group I reckon) wandering round without masks? Separate shoppers and they didn't look the type to have underlying health conditions, they looked fit enough to me. Probably will be until they fall over. :sad:
With no one to 'police' the legislation and the 'do-gooders' who have made it impossible to question a person's exemption, it's easier just to keep your distance.
I doubt any of them have been anywhere near a LFT and probably wouldn't understand the meaning of asymptomatic.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Daft thing was all their "other halves" with them were masked up. Maybe they think it's not the macho thing to do but don't realise that they are the ones that look stupid and selfish.
Ian

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”