MEDICAL MATTERS

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: MEDICAL MATTERS

Post by Stanley »

You might want to look at this LINK if you suffer from migraine. It must be kosher because the NHS are going to offer it.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

I always feel it is so reassuring when a GP says "I understand that can be incredibly painful" :cool4:

Painkillers replenished for the next occasion and more investigative blood tests requested.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I once had a procedure done using a very powerful local anaesthetic, it might have been a spinal block. The surgeon asked me what it felt like so I told him to get on the table and have one himself!
Is the fact that my urine is too pure to test a result of clean living? (Kidney function tests are fine....)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tardis

Post by Tardis »

I got this, but I can't get the actual document to download. Maybe if anyone is interested they can contact the individual directly and request a copy:
Please attached GP Out of Hours Service Patient Questionnaire. The purpose of this engagement exercise is to consult with patients and the general public to support the development of the GP Out of Hours service specification which is currently being reviewed. The GP Out of Hours service is being delivered by East Lancs Medical Services (ELMS) across Pennine Lancashire (Blackburn with Darwen and East Lancashire).

We would like to actively listen to patients and members of the public to enable you the opportunity to share your personal experiences, provide suggestion, and to voice your opinion on what you feel works well or needs improving about the service.

Completed questionnaire’s should be returned to the following email address by Thursday 14th November to Samantha.jones@blackburnwithdarwenccg.nhs.uk
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good result from my visit to the doc yesterday. Blood analysis is still in 16 year old lad country. He tried again to get me on statins on the grounds that they were good for me. Once again I refused. My view is that the jury is still out on statins and the parameters the blood test analysis is based on is constructed on averages and I reckon over 99% of the population are still on trans fats and a bad Omega3 to Omega 6 balance. You pays your money and takes your choice. I'll stick with my diet and healthy fat balance. Time will show whether I was right or not. (I gave Ian (the doc) his copy of Rod Bilton's book and he has promised to read it.....)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tardis

Post by Tardis »

I was sent this:
Lancashire Care Foundation Trust have asked the Insight Network to consult with service users / carers around the impact of out of area mental health services. In support of this we have planned to hold four sessions for service users and carers, one each in Blackpool and Accrington and two in Chorley. The details for these sessions are on the attached flyer and I would like to ask you to distribute this flyer to your service user / carer groups. Thank you.

Thanks very much,
Katharine
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

Two funerals this week. Both deceased taken before their time and both from Cancer, In each case early diagnosis would have seen them live longer. Each of the deceased reported their problems early and the system and its practioners missed the cause till it was to late. Neither family will enter into litigation, but are very disappointed with the system.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Just had a little smile at hubby's expense.
He came home from the docs with his twice yearly blood test form, but didn't have his glasses on and was trying to decipher the wording.
"What does..Sl overnight mean? " he asked.
" no idea. Give it here" I replied
( Doctor had written "Sl overweight".)
Febby is NOT amused. His doctor is even more " slightly overweight" than he is!

I can see problems looming when I serve up tomorrow nights dinner. Doesn't matter what it is...I will be accused of over feeding him. Like I am responsible for everything he puts in his mouth.
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

This morning I attended the doctors for a Flu jab. Very puzzling experience, when I arrived the surgery was closed. lady in the newsagents says they have moved to new premises on the main rd. When I finaly arrive and present myself to the receptionist I explain that I am a patient of Dr Rhaman, and have received a Text enquiring if I would like a Flu jab. Very pleasant lady explains that Dr Rhaman retired nine years ago, and I was transferred to anothers list. To shorten the tale she said if I had 45 mins to spare one of the practice nurses would give me the jab. At least I can keep in touch on an annual basis now .
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Maz, I know the problem. My excess weight is due solely to the cook, however, I have a problem there.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Well we have Salad tonight, with a hard boiled egg and some cheese. ( salad consists of lettuce, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, red capsicum, grated purple carrot and fresh sliced mushrooms)

It's everything else what finds it's way into his mouth that is the problem.
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

Anyone interested in completing a Genetic Condition's medical study?:

https://survey.sanger.ac.uk/genomethics/
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

Today I was introduced to the low Phosphorus diet. A way to try to reduce it in my diet without having to take the major amounts of tablets to 'buffer' my body chemistry.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

So...apart from giving up chewing the heads off matches...what does the low phosphorous diet entail?
Do you have to give up any of your favourite things?
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

Reduce dairy (milk, cheese, ice cream etc), red meat, pulses (peas and beans), sardines/pilchards, chocolate, and limited to about 2 eggs a week.

The latter is the hardest, as that means I have to make one victoria sponge last more than a week :wink:

If you want the precise data I can stick up the chart given by the NHS.

I also have a huge file with Phosphorus in everything if you're interested, that was sent to me by a UK charity.

The level of intervention is beginning to be ramped up now, I get to see more nurses, more regularly. More wagging fingers :grin:
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Moh wrote:Got rid of vac therapy and now down to a stick - bopping up the Majestic next!!! - in my dreams.........
That was rather premature, ended up back in Blackburn on the Friday with agonising pain in the hip - it was infected again. Put on drips of morphine & anti-biotics, then ended up in ICU ready to be put on the kidney dialysis machine. Fortunately the anti-biotics kicked in. Came home again a week ago (after 3 weeks) - still quite painful but trying to move about more.
Say only a little but say it well.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I can see how that could become restrictive, Tardis.
I did look up some information yesterday just out of interest. We rarely think of these trace elements...but I found it interesting.

Moh...You poor love!
2013 has not been your year, has it?
( sounds familiar...being in ICU with a raging infection, with kidneys/liver problems...my hubby was in a similar situation a few months ago...but he is well again now).
Do take it easy. Hopefully the worst is behind you. Are you still managing with one stick, or back to a frame?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Moh! So sorry to hear that, what a bummer! I nearly mailed you the other day, I had a thought that there might be something. Glad you're home and I hope this time it behaves itself. What strikes me is what I would have been thinking if I was laid there listening to them discussing dialysis. It must have been awful for you.
Keep warm and I hope you go forward now and get out of the wood. Love, S. XXX
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

What a tough time you are having Moh. Hopefully you are on the mend now.
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Poor Moh. Wishing you all the best, and quickly.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

Doesn't sound so good Moh! Glad that you managed to get through it. I may be on dialysis after Christmas. I have started to meet the renal team.

Diet's are always restrictive Marilyn, I find.

A new symptom too, red eyes, or itchy skin, may be indicative of high blood phosphorus. My body chemistry is just completely out of whack now and really they are just helping me to stave off the time when the major intervention begins. No real fun, but as long as I have taste I can enjoy what I can eat, in moderation. :grin:
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

So with your renal problem Tardis...do you feel well or unwell most days. Is your body's abnormal chemistry noticeable to you?
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

Feeling well is all relative. Most days I'm fine, usually tired through the so far untreated anaemia, but there is just the odd blip when things cross the line too far
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Thanks guys, I am managing with a stick most of the time, but I use crutches in the morning when it is stiff (my knee feels worse!!) I am trying to move around more but still feel a little weak.
Say only a little but say it well.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

One day at a time and one foot in front of the other, Moh.
Keep at it.
How is Fred coping?

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”