Autumn 2012

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Autumn 2012

Post by Stanley »

It started raining gently at about 11:00. Scattered showers in afternoon but no heavy rain. Steady rain at 04:00 but it's stopped now. Glass is down to 29" and shipping forecast gives gales all round the coast. Looks like a spell of unsettled weather.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

Managed to dry the washing yesterday and to sit out for an hour or so but we had light rain on and off, in fact it has rained (mostly heavy) since last Friday.. Today however we have blue skies and sunshine, wonderful. Eileen
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Our glass is 29.2
Say only a little but say it well.
WhyNot

Post by WhyNot »

We (ca. 20 people) are thinking about coming to Barlick this Autumn (doing a little tour across the UK)...and I would be glad if you could tell me some upcoming events or little spots you can visit during the cold seasons? I was e.g. thinking about visiting the Colne Farmers' Market (if I was lucky with the date)...I would be really grateful if you could help me out - i am one of the planner of this tour and really do need some help with that :wink: have a nice weekend!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

You could try having a look at this link: Visit Barnoldswick

The site is designed to show off what the town and surrounding area has to offer.
Ian
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Rather depends on what direction you are coming from ( as interesting places like Settle , Skipton (Ilkley) are also nearby) .

There may be the tent up in the Town Square ( or not ) , the Monthly market in the Rainhall Centre might be on , or the Bancroft engine open for viewing. Otherwise there are plenty of little shops to browse and buy from , coffee and tea bars abound ( and if you look hard enough there is the odd shop that is also a coffee bar.

Otherwise munching chips from Chubbies while sitting on the walls around the town square is quite a pleasant thing to do.

Mondays to Saturdays the B1/B2 bus route can give you a tour of the town ( has anyone confused the driver by asking at the Town Hall stop for a single to the Town Hall ? )
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was sunshine and light showers. Today looks similar at the moment, cool and dry with a slight breeze. Glass has risen to 29.2" so I'm in line with Moh.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

Yesterday was lovely with the exception of a 5 minute shower so managed to sit out in the afternoon. Early this morning we had thunder storms. At 9am French time it was still dark but it appears to be coming lighter and the rain has stopped. Eileen
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

A lovely Autumn day as forecast earlier in the week - yesterday they forecast rain!!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We had a couple of light showers but nothing serious. The day started with almost a grass frost. Much colder this morning, clear sky and a light frost. Glass is steady on 29.2" with no wind. Looks as though it could be a good day. Either the Met Office is getting worried about being sued or we are being very lucky. No extraordinary rain here in Barlick, just normal showers.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

Yesterday we managed to sit out for 3 hours. Today has started cold but looks like it will be a nice day. Eileen
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sharpest frost so far. Heating vents puffing steam all over the town. Nice sharp morning!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

We have had mostly rain this week, some parts of the last couple of days were sunny.18C, is the highest temperature otherwise about 16C
If you keep searching you will find it
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Coldest night so far this autumn by a long way, and a sudden change - the most morning condensation we've seen on our windows in this house in the 16 years we've lived here.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Sunray10
Regular User

Post by Sunray10 »

A few days of fine, dry sunny weather for us at the moment, but don't get to complacent by next Wednesday its the return of wetter and windy conditions. Sorry to be all doom and gloom. Enjoy the next few days everyone.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Expected a frost but when I went outside it had just started spotting with rain. Only a light shower but surprising. Glass steady at just below 29.2". All I can suggest is a re-run of yesterday, sunshine and the occasional sprinkle.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

WhyNot

Post by WhyNot »

Whyperion wrote:Rather depends on what direction you are coming from ( as interesting places like Settle , Skipton (Ilkley) are also nearby) .

There may be the tent up in the Town Square ( or not ) , the Monthly market in the Rainhall Centre might be on , or the Bancroft engine open for viewing. Otherwise there are plenty of little shops to browse and buy from , coffee and tea bars abound ( and if you look hard enough there is the odd shop that is also a coffee bar.

Otherwise munching chips from Chubbies while sitting on the walls around the town square is quite a pleasant thing to do.

Mondays to Saturdays the B1/B2 bus route can give you a tour of the town ( has anyone confused the driver by asking at the Town Hall stop for a single to the Town Hall ? )
Thank you for helping me out...i am currently sitting in front of my pc to create the flyers for this event...and munching chips from chubbies just made it to my list :grin: eating could never be wrong!! and the bus tour is also a great idea...
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

In wrong topic I believe. Rained hard this morning but the sky is blue now.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Seem to have lost a post. When I first went out in the yard at 04:30 this morning it was dry, still and cool. Glass at 28.7" and falling. Four hours later it's changed completely, s strong breeze blowing scattered showers over. In short a nasty morning.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

The current weather may be a bit nasty but look on the bright side, Winter does not start until the 21st of December. Lots of balmy Autumn to go yet :confused:
Ian
Nolic

Post by Nolic »

I'm sure I saw some flurries of snow at about 8.15 this morning. Nolic
"I'm a self made man who worships his creator." Image
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Hubby said it was sleeting up Harle Syke about 9am. Cold, wet and windy now, thoroughly miserable.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Have a look out the window Ian, not balmy autumn! Cold hard rain this morning, Glass steady on 28.9" Not walking far in this!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Just back from our early morning walk. It's a cold wet lousy morning and Jack was soaked but thank God he doesn't mind as long as he gets a good hard rub down when we come in. One thing I noticed this morning (yes I am awake now!) is that the skeins of geese flying over the town are going in the reverse direction this morning. Normally they spend the night in the sheltered bottoms east of Greenberfield and fly up to the reservoirs on White Moor at dawn. I think they had gone up there and decided they'd rather be back in the comparative shelter of the bottoms. Smart Kiddies! Warm and dry in here......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Wandering around West London yesterday , with the predicted breezy southerly winds blowing, all the council work personnel out sweeping up the first leaf fall of Autumn in the affluent areas , most trees still have 7/8ths of tinted leaves remaining. The generally elegant terraces and semi-detached houses , of no more than 4 storeys (plus basement) allow the wind to pass around and still allow walking. To the south of the long grove of houses there is an area cleared many years ago for the building of a railway in later Victorian years , closing around WW1 the land became available for development and from the 1960s much taller office blocks built up to 10 storeys , squeezing in the wind and causing vortexs of spinning refuse. What google street view reminds me was a vacant parking lot ( cannot remember what was there if anything before the area was flattened ) has yet more stepped rising office block of mostly reflecting glass. The terraced houses had gardens with palm trees and vines growing in them , in part because being fronts to east and west , the rising sun both warmed the garden and house , which radiated some warmth back to the gardens opposite , obviously full on south sun hit both sides gardens and the setting sun again got both gardens as in the morning.

Finally the open square with the cafe culture outside the contemporary theatre showed the British take on cafe culture , overcoats on , scarves up to ears and wooly and sheepskin hats all on sipping large coffees while the chill in the air circulated around the bland concrete flagstones.

Return to “Seasons”