BARNOLDSWICK WAR MEMORIAL RE-DEDICATION

Thomo

Re: BARNOLDSWICK WAR MEMORIAL RE-DEDICATION

Post by Thomo »

From the Keighley news on Monday detailing the event, and the response from a reader:-

It is a shame that any event of this nature has to spoilt by such an inconsiderate lack of transparency and protocol.
It should be a time to remember those who laid down their lives for the rest of the community, not by alienating other sections.
The War Memorial Group has done some selfless sterling work here and it is that which should over ride all else
Thomo. RN Retired, but not regretted!
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Todays meeting With Major Heron and Sergeant Major Robinson was a bit intensive but went well, we now have the structure for the days event, the who does what, where and when, and how! It is said that the dreams you remember don't come true, I hope not as last night Fernlea avenue had shrunk to only 2 feet wide and by the time the parade arrived at the top of Newtown, there was almost 3 feet of snow on the ground, after that everyone was getting lost. But despite all of that the plan is taking shape nicely, and I can now return to "Snapping" at ankles in the hope of a response. Just 16 days to go now.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

This may have something to do with the lack of response from HRH The Duke of York, I have just read that he has re-kindled his love for his ex Wife and that they may re-marry. I have prepared a schematic image of who is going to be where at the War Memorial for the re-dedication, these are just the main bodies and I will add more as the plan unfolds. The parade as I understand it will be headed by the Mounted Police Officers, followed by the Standards, The Band, The Troops, Senior Civic Dignitaries, then the Cadets, Wreath Bearers and so on. The parade will be formed up on Albert Rd. with the head near Fernlea Ave. Here is the schematic image:-

Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Another meeting today, and probably the last before the "Big Day". At this one there was the Chairman and the Clerk of the Town Council, plus Major Heron, Sgt Major Lynden Robinson, The Musical Director of the Band, and the Bands Senior NCO, and myself. The meeting was again intense and included a "Walk"! around the parade route at the appropriate speed, this somehow I managed to survive! All of the important stuff is now in place:- The Plaques "WILL" be ready, the Memorial will have been cleaned, as will the "Dukes" stone, The Duke of Wellingtons Association will be attending, from Bradford, Keighley and Skipton, along with the Royal British Legion from these area's, including Halifax, Salute You, from Burnley with their disabled veterans and most of the people we had hoped for. The Lord Lieutenant of Lancashire will be represented by his Deputy, Peter Robinson OBE. And it was the Spitfire that came for a look earlier in the week. With nine days to go, almost two years of work, sometimes difficult and a bit of a worry, we are nearly there, but there are still people to chase up and small details to iron out, the what and when is sorted, it's the "Who" that is not yet over. From a personal point of view, my medal bars have arrived from the mint, and the wife bought me a new bottle of rum, what more could a sailor ask for?
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

A letter this morning postmarked "Buckingham Palace", from the Private Secretary to The Duke of York: reads as follows:-

Dear Mr Thompson.

Thank you for your letter and enclosures which arrived whilst I was away on vacation. I will ensure that The Duke of York has sight of your letter to him and come back to you as soon as I can.

Yours Sincerely.

Amanda Thirsk, LVO
Private Secretary to the Duke of York.

So, it isn't dead in the water yet! It must have been a fair old vacation though as it is five weeks since I sent the 1st letter, and two since I sent the 2nd.

Interesting here is that in two days I have received a letter and a package, and in both cases the address was "Barnoldswick Yorkshire"!!
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Slightly old (13th August 2013) , but searching for this topic heading ( as I had forgotten the date and my maths went wrong from the earlier postings ) , http://www.dwr.org.uk/news.php?id=2&nw=252 I note most of the content is presumably from the working group/town council ? press release. Anyway even I am impressed by the content and sensitivity of the wording , very good and I am trying to clear next weekend of any other non-committed committments.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Thanks for that Ian, and it is nice to have such a response to the efforts made. Now with less than seven days to go, there is still work to be done, multiple e/mails have gone out to interested parties asking; are you coming, and if so how many? and with parking maps etc. This only works of course if people check their inboxes on a regular basis, we have found that many do not! I was asked today "What will you do after the event?" simple, the book has not been touched for over two months and the clock is still ticking, and there are still 95 years of Barlicks contribution to conflict to research and document, edit, check and double check. But this about next Sunday, we will carry on trying to get it right, and we are nearly there, all matters concerning the parade are now in the capable hands of The Yorkshire Regiment and are no longer open to question, it will be as they determine, and having been a party to their proposals, we are happy. All out there who are interested, will be very welcome to come here and join us. Keep on looking here, as any further information will by posted daily.
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Checking a couple of websites , the detail , time and and date Was on the visitbarnoldswick website , it has now disappeared from there for the date of 8th September ( I found it on google cache ). Perhaps worth posting on the where can we go page of OGFB just as a reminder , etc.

It looks like http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/Mi ... kWM_0.html has been updated with the new plaques detail , perhaps someone could check and confirm and submit any changes as it has been created from info submitted by a user from photographs taken by them.

http://en.tracesofwar.com/article/16224 ... dswick.htm , ( which I think is a Dutch based website ) , has an out of date photo - with the unpruned trees , it might be worth arranging for a contemporary photo to be submitted if it is felt fit, that website also has links to memorials near by - but on the links it does not appear to have Salterforth or Earby ,though maybe they are on the site , I have not looked.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

The genuik link above does not yet have the additional names. Not surprising as the new plaques are not yet in place. Never seen the site in your second link, interesting though that the photograph of the memorial is attributed to a namesake. I have taken quite a few of the memorial myself but I'm not sure if this one is one of mine or not.

As related before, I intend to update our own UK register of memorials in due course, plenty of time for crossing I's and dotting T's after the dedication. Other sites will probably update from there.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I knew I had seen the picture on the second site posted by Whyperion. It's on the cover of the draft version of the Order of Service for the rededication on Sunday. I think it could be the one that was on the Visit Barlick site as well. Not sure why it has my name on it though.
Ian
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

The image which will be on the printed Order of Service is a recent picture of mine. For obvious reasons, we aren't able to have a picture with the plaques in place...
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Thanks for that David. Traces of War Site attributes the image to Lambert in a link but if you click that it goes to a contributors profile for someone named Andrew Abbott who is based in Beeston in Nottinghamshire, clearly an incorrect link.
Ian
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Here at last is the final timetable for the event:-

Briefing Notes for VIP’s Barnoldswick 8th September 2013.

VIP’s Mr Peter Robinson OBE DL, representing the Lord Lieutenant of Lancashire.
Lieutenant Colonel Iain Hallam, Commanding Officer 4th Battalion The Yorkshire Regiment.
His Worship the Mayor of Pendle Cllr. Smith Benson
Hon. Andrew Stephenson MP, Member of Parliament for Pendle
Hosted by Cllr. Ken Hartley Chairman of Barnoldswick Town Council

Event. Service of Rededication, Commitment and Remembrance and Award of the Honorary Freedom of the Town of Barnoldswick to The Yorkshire Regiment.
Date Sunday 8th September 2013.
Start Time 13.30 hrs for 14.00 hrs
Duration Approx 2 Hrs, 30 mins i.e Finish approx 16.30 hrs.
Location Barnoldswick Town Square (Sat Nav. BB18 5AA), Then Saluting Post, Then War Memorial, Then Rainhall Centre.
Parking All Vip’s will have Car Parking arranged in the Rainhall Centre Car Park (Sat Nav. BB18 5DR). Food, and refreshments will be provided on arrival and prior to departure, if required, on an informal basis. Drivers and/or attendants are of course included.

Timetable. Noon Specific Roads Closed to vehicular Traffic.
12.45 hrs. Arrival of 4 Yorks and Regimental Band of The Yorkshire Regiment
13.00 hrs. Parade Marshall final Briefing, Lunch, informal assembly
1400 hrs. Incidental Music Concert by the Regimental Band of The Yorkshire Regiment
and formal assembly in the Town Square.

14.30 hrs. Address, welcome and formal introduction of VIP’s by the Chairman of the Town Council Mr Ken Hartley

14.40 hrs. Formal Award of the Honorary Freedom of Barnoldswick to the Yorkshire Regiment and presentation of the Freedom Scroll by Cllr. Ken Hartley

14.45 hrs. Response on behalf of The Yorkshire Regiment by Lt. Col. Iain Hallam.

15.00 hrs. Service of Rededication, Commitment and Remembrance – Part One led by the Rev Derek Oldham. Chaplain to, the Barnoldswick and District Branch, of the Royal British Legion.

15.30 hrs. Parade Muster under the direction of the Parade Marshall (WO 2) Sgt. Major L Robinson, 4 YORKS.

N.B VIP’s forming the Saluting Party including the Chairman of the Council will proceed directly to the Saluting Post on the Steps of the Civic Hall, Station Road.

15.35 hrs. Freedom Parade around the Town to the War Memorial.

15.50 Hrs. Service of Rededication, Commitment and Remembrance – Part Two
Unveiling of the New Memorial Panels and presentation of the Union Flags to the researchers Mr P Thompson and Mr Ian Lambert.
Laying of Wreathes under the direction of the Town Clerk Mr Richard Nelson
The Last Post, Two Minute Silence, Reveille.
The Blessing
The National Anthem

16.10 hrs. Invitation to light Refreshments

Parade Dismiss

16.15 hrs. Light Refreshments at the Rainhall Centre hosted by Councillors from the Barnoldswick Town Council.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Another big sigh of relief this morning with the news from the Memorial Masons that they are coming to fix the plaques in place tomorrow, also tomorrow the original Memorial and the "Dukes" stone will be cleaned. On a more personal note, I had some good news as well yesterday, my Son is coming from Anglesey for the weekend to be here for the event, he was sixth generation RN.
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

Work beginning this morning
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Noticed on my way to work this morning, all coming together nicely.
Ian
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

I have just been for another look, and wish the weather forecast was as bright. There is one mark on the Memorial that I have often wondered about and after cleaning it is still there on the side facing the car park. Diesel oil would do that, being a penetrant, and could have got there when the Memorial was moved! Acid would make it less noticeable, but would also damage the paint in the lettering. Heavy rain is forecast for tomorrow/Saturday, Sunday may be better, but possibly still wet. No more rain dances please!! I got a look at the plaques early this morning and I am happy with what I saw.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

The work on the Memorial didn't go without its problems today, the cleaning has made a big difference, but fitting the plaques was difficult. The plaques were designed by an engineer/skilled signwriter, and both were of equal dimensions. If the workmen who created the two recesses had carried out their task with this in mind there would not have been a problem. Due to this ineptitude, the two plaques had to be produced to fit the recesses, and they got it the wrong way round, this has resulted in more fitting work than was intended, to get it all right. I am not sure where the "egg" should fall, but it isn't here!!! Anyway, this is how it looked at 1330 this afternoon:-

David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

The plaques look well.

Following the cleaning, some of the names need to be repainted on the memorial.

Here are the finished plaques.

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I have been in the car park a couple of times since the work was finished and noticed a lot of people on both occasions looking at the work. I agree that some re-lettering would not go amiss at some point, that would complete a major refurbishment and one for the better.

Weather forecast is dire for Saturday but maybe a break on Sunday. There is a large high pressure system waiting in the wings on the Atlantic approaches, It would be great if the rain could hold off for the duration of the event.
Ian
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

May I say what a fantastic job all those involved in this project have done.

I must go on to show my own ignorance about the WW1 (The great War) I have seen memorials dated 1914- 18 & 19. and I know that the final peace treatise was signed in 1923. Until the recent photo's I have never seen one dated 1914-21. It shows how easy it is to forget these gallant men.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You're not alone, it puzzled me for years. The Treaty of Versailles was signed in June 1919 and many take this as the official end of the war but there were minor skirmishes in the Middle East that continued into the 1920s.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

The reason for the date 1921 is that a further 12 men died after 1918 as a result of service. In 1918 7 men and 1 woman died after the 11th of November, 6 more in 1919, 3 in 1920 and 3 in 1921, the last of these being Sergeant George Abraham Golding in November 1921. Here was a man who had earned his place on the Memorial:-

BARNOLDSWICK - War Hero's Death

The circumstances of the death of ex-Sergeant George A. Golding, of 34 Town Head, which occurred on Saturday after prolonged illness, are particularly sad. The deceased, who was 41 years of age, and leaves a widow and two children, was a native of Burnley, but had resided at Barnoldswick for many years. He followed the occupation of twister and loomer in the employ of Mr. G. Dethick Brown. Crownest Shed. His first introduction to the town was as a player for the old Barnoldswick United Football Club, of which he was captain when the team first won the Craven Cup. Enlisting in 'Kitchener's Army' in the early days of the war, he served right through to the end, and emerged from the struggle practically unscathed, notwithstanding his participation in some of the heaviest fighting. While serving as private in the Duke of Wellington's he received the Military Medal and the Croix de Guerre, was mentioned in despatches for gallant conduct during the battle at Bourlon Wood, and was promoted to the rank sergeant for bravery on the field. On his discharge from the Army with a temporary pension, he resumed his former occupation, but before long his health broke down and about 10 months ago he underwent an operation at Beckett's Park Hospital, Leeds. This did not result in recovery, and his pension in the meantime had been discontinued on the ground that his illness was not attributable to war service. Some time subsequent to his discharge from hospital it appears that Golding appealed to the Army Medical Commissioners for a re-examination, and by the irony of fate a communication granting this request came to hand on the day he died. Steps are now being taken with the object of securing a pension for the widow. The interment took place at Gill Cemetery on Wednesday afternoon, members of the Ivory Hall Working Men's Club acting as bearers. Wreaths were placed on the coffin from the Ivory Hall and the Discharged Sailors' and Soldiers' Club.
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

Looks good, but power washing without replacing mortar is never a good idea when the paving stones stand on a bed of sand
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

The main memorial has entries for 1965 and 1967 also. These are on one side below the lower sloping face which record the fallen from the Second World War.
Ian

Return to “Local History Topics”