Where Have You Just Been?

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Where Have You Just Been?

Post by Stanley »

I went to Bancroft for a couple of hours..... Really enjoyed it. Thanks Tony for picking me up!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Had a wander out for some fresh air after work. It was quite pleasant. Lots of berries on the holly bushes.
20221026_173737.jpg
20221026_173905.jpg
20221026_173940.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I shame to say I never went out of the house yesterday. Every time I looked at the window and gave it some thought it was dark and threatening so in the end I gave up. I find that easier and easier to do...... A bit worrying.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Today we took a trip to the Old Hall Inn at Chinley in the High Peak, Derbyshire. We met up with a school friend of Col's and his daughters who had been interring Dave's wife's ashes in the churchyard at Mottram. Jill died very quickly from pancreatic cancer but had brain tumours as well, she was a lovely, lively, sociable friend and we will miss her hugely.
Difficult day, especially for Col who could only nibble at a small starter while the rest of us tucked into roast beef with all the trimmings, but glad we made the journey. Saw some impressive railway viaducts along the way!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sorry you had such a sad reason for going Wendy but glad you enjoyed the trip. By coincidence, I was invited out to a roast dinner at the Punchbowl by nthe kids but it was too short notice and I had eaten.
But I had a nice visit....

Kahara in the shed that one day will be his....

And Lily who is a poseur, she starts to smile as soon as the camera is pointed at her.

So I didn't actually go anywhere but had a lovely day.... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Stanley wrote: 31 Oct 2022, 03:44 Sorry you had such a sad reason for going Wendy but glad you enjoyed the trip.
Apart from a few interesting views in Derbyshire I didn't enjoy the journey at all! It was mostly motorway on a big circuit round Manchestsr and surprisingly busy for a Sunday. We were both relieved to get home. :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yes, in the days when I was going regularly from Barlick to Masson Mill at Matlock Bath I always said it took 3 hours to get there whatever time of day you went.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Wendyf wrote: 30 Oct 2022, 18:56 Today we took a trip to the Old Hall Inn at Chinley in the High Peak, Derbyshire. We met up with a school friend of Col's and his daughters who had been interring Dave's wife's ashes in the churchyard at Mottram. Jill died very quickly from pancreatic cancer but had brain tumours as well, she was a lovely, lively, sociable friend and we will miss her hugely.
Difficult day, especially for Col who could only nibble at a small starter while the rest of us tucked into roast beef with all the trimmings, but glad we made the journey. Saw some impressive railway viaducts along the way!
So sorry to hear that Wendy. It hits hard when it is your own generation.our friend Barry had another heart attack yesterday and is back in hospital. This is bad news indeed. We are waiting to hear from Nic, the daughter
If you keep searching you will find it
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Sue wrote: 31 Oct 2022, 14:37
Wendyf wrote: 30 Oct 2022, 18:56 Today we took a trip to the Old Hall Inn at Chinley in the High Peak, Derbyshire. We met up with a school friend of Col's and his daughters who had been interring Dave's wife's ashes in the churchyard at Mottram. Jill died very quickly from pancreatic cancer but had brain tumours as well, she was a lovely, lively, sociable friend and we will miss her hugely.
So sorry to hear that Wendy. It hits hard when it is your own generation.our friend Barry had another heart attack yesterday and is back in hospital. This is bad news indeed. We are waiting to hear from Nic, the daughter
That doesn't sound good Sue.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Just heard Drs think it was angina and not a heart attack. He is going back to the recuperation home as I write.
If you keep searching you will find it
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Been and still here, Nidd Hall in Killinghall. Nice place to stay for the weekend.
20221104_125921.jpg
20221104_130432.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

The weather is a bit different today, it's overcast and threatening rain until 3pm. It's clearing up after that so fireworks out on the terrace should go ahead :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

A walk out to Colne, went via Alkincoats pavilion for a spot of lunch, across to The Crown Hotel (we resisted stopping) and up Albert Road. Picked up a couple of bits from Sainsbury's on the way back and now sitting in The Hare and Hounds for a cheeky pint of beer, deserved after 4 miles I reckon :biggrin2:

It's overcast and damp but no rain.
20221122_155736.jpg
Good to see a bit of water running down the sluice from the upper res.
20221122_155814.jpg
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

A few days away at Thoresby Hall, Nottinghamshire. The sun put in an appearance for our wander around Thoresby Park.
20230126_103817.jpg
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Can't beat the sound of running water (as long as it's not through your roof).
20230126_103711.jpg
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

We went round to friends last night along with lots of others for "a bit of a do". This circle of friends that we have not really seen apart from odd passings in the street for the best part of 4 years. It was a drinks and supper event and Kath had put on a fantastic spread of meat, vegetarian and vegan dishes to cater for everyone at the "do". It was an excellent night catching up with old friends. :smile:
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Sad story - :sad:

I saw this Meet the author in the local listings magazine. I never go out now - but this appealed as I have had Laura's books for a long time - including her first "The Dogs" which shows the best understanding of Greyhound racing I've ever read. I also have "Lamtarra - Quest For Greatness" on horse racing, and her version of the Lord Lucan saga. Both very good. She's a smart cookie and no mistake. Mr Poet next door wasn't available so I went alone. I didn't ring as I still wasn't sure about it all and didn't want to commit.

You know what's coming next. The Hub was closed and in darkness - not even a note on the door. Shades of "The Beiderbecke Affair"

Should have rung. :smile:

Here are her works - at cheap money Laura Thompson Tripps Imprimatur. :smile:

As a consolation prize I went for a Chinese takeaway. First for a very long time. Culture shock. Same takeaway and same menu - but cost more than double what it was. Nowhere near as much meat in the Special Chow Mein too.
I wonder why they only take cash? (I don't really :smile: ) Perhaps that's why they were empty?
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That is a sad story David. I have a habit of doing that, building my expectations on past experience and often being disappointed because it ain't necessarily so.... Perhaps that's the reason why I too never go out in the evening. I tell myself it's because of my years and in a way it is but if I was more honest with myself it's because I am frightened of all the things that could go wrong. (Including being disappointed!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Argos in Sainsbury's at Colne to collect a new beard trimmer. I have treated myself to a new one as my existing Philips has not been holding it's charge for quite a while. I have had to use it plugged in and getting it to start up has been hit and miss, it needs a partial charge to set it off even when plugged into the mains. Cant grumble I have had it for about 10 years so it's done well. I got another Philips that was on offer and comes with a barrage of extra bits which makes it a male grooming kit. It's on it's obligatory initial charge as I post. It will take a bit longer than the sourdough proving I have on the go. :smile:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I bought an electric shaver last year and was impressed how good it was, it's a Chinese made three head machine and rechargeable from a USB socket. I only really use it now to shave my ears (I'm allowed sharp things again now the anticoagulant dose is lower), much safer than using a flame :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Big Kev wrote: 18 Feb 2023, 08:23 I only really use it now to shave my ears (I'm allowed sharp things again now the anticoagulant dose is lower), much safer than using a flame :biggrin2:
Why do I automatically think of Desperate Dan reading that :laugh5: :extrawink:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 18 Feb 2023, 10:25
Big Kev wrote: 18 Feb 2023, 08:23 I only really use it now to shave my ears (I'm allowed sharp things again now the anticoagulant dose is lower), much safer than using a flame :biggrin2:
Why do I automatically think of Desperate Dan reading that :laugh5: :extrawink:
I have no idea :biggrin2:
Screenshot_20230218-115252_Google.jpg
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

3F4C900C-8161-422B-ADD7-6D91CD23065F.png
I’m receiving lots of stunning photos from my daughter and her friend at the moment, they are on holiday in NZ.
After driving 25k + of serious winding roads, they arrived at Hawkes Lookout, Takaka Hill. South Island.

I thought this pic was extra special. 😊
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

That's quite a view Cathy. Lovely.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A bit better than the view from Weets Cathy! Definitely one for framing and having on the wall.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”