Today I shall be Mainly...

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Stanley »

It sounds as though you have got Barlick holiday weather like us Sue! Cool and wet here.....
Not sure what I'll be doing today, cleaning up and checking my measuring tackle I think. Then I must sit down and write for the paper, there is only one article left on the stock pile!I think the discipline of having to have one ready each week is good for me. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it!)
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

It ended up a beautiful warm sunny day, about 28 degrees. Last day here for the family today. I think lunch out and a bit of shopping for home is on the cards. Tomorrow we shall all visit St Malo before they catch the ferry on Thursday. Next Tuesday, Bobs cousin arrives for a week. It's so nice to be able to see so many people when we are here.
If you keep searching you will find it
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

We had a good walk yesterday with no blisters! Looking at the forecast we might miss out on a walk today and take the opportunity to visit the new David Hockney exhibition in Bradford.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good! I know of very few things more miserable that having to walk (or march!) with blisters. I was always convinced that the army ensured we had experience of blisters shortly after entering training to reinforce their message about looking after your feet. Remember, we had just been issued with new boots that were only an approximate fit! They were good boots once you had 'broken them in' but that took time. Especially for the lads who had been reared in shoes.....
Later at 9AM. I've come out of the shed early to listen to the last of Hilary Mantel's Reith lectures.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Writing articles.......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Off to St Malo for the day, via Fougere to visit a ruined Chateau
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

We are going to walk down the Pennine Bridleway to Wycoller, have lunch in the cafe then head along the beck back to Laneshawbridge where Col will (hopefully) pick us up.
The Hockney exhibition at the Cartwright Hall in Bradford was excellent, well worth the trip.
cloghopper
Regular User

Post by cloghopper »

Hello everybody, today I shall be mainly busy as usual with Mrs.C; but also starting to think about packing for my trip to UK next week. Since we've been experiencing 30+ temperatures for the last several weeks, and the countryside all around us is being rapidly destroyed by bush fires, looking forward to a bit of cool. Always been used to travelling light (one small carry on bag) so I think one pullover should do it, and a light waterproof.
Will be staying mainly in Morecambe and Gwernymynydd North Wales, but hopefully a day trip round Burnley Nelson Colne Earby on the cards.
Take care everyone,
cloggy.
cloghopper
Regular User

Post by cloghopper »

P.S. also meet ups with cousins discovered thanks to this site.:-)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Going on a bit of a walk for our Dan then we are having tea out, Barlick Raj tonight, our Jack will attend, Carla has other commitments this year.
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Is this your annual walk, Panbiker?
( gosh...don't it come round quick?)
Have a lovely day!
I just realised in the last few days that we are approaching the 10 year anniversary of one of my son's mates, and the 3 year anniversary of another of his mates ( to suicide). Very hard to take...I still see these kid's faces. Met them both on son's first day of kindergarten. We have had Birthday parties, sleepovers, movie nights - you name it, they were welcome. I remember when they got their first jobs. Lovely boys. Gone but not forgotten, and I still think the world of the tykes.

Enjoy your holiday Cloggy.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

We walk all the time Maz but always get out on Dan's birthday. We had intended to do one of the three peaks this year but yesterdays efforts at the Clarion has put paid to that plan, neither of us are up to taking on a mountain! Contemplated a Weet's loop but we have decided to do a short circular round the fields taking in a visit to Gill Church where some of Dan's ashes are interred, we will have a tidy up and a talk. The day is not quite like it was when he was born, it was very warm that day, proper summer. I have related before that he was born to the sound of "The Floral Dance", played by Keighley brass band on the verge outside the delivery room. I always think of that, it makes me smile. :smile:
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Some memories are so acute, aren't they?
I will never forget the first time I saw my son's face when he was born either...( at that point I hadn't had time to wonder if I'd had a boy or a girl..but I fell in love instantly with that little face)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I saw Sally yesterday on the town and we had a nice chat. She looks fit enough to sand the Clarion floor, take on the Three Peaks and cook dinner as well! Donald of Croft saw us and said he was going to inform on us.....
Writing went well, four articles knocked off and sent out.
I shall be surveying the piste in the shed this morning.
Maz, those memories never leave you.......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not sure yet...... It will be in the shed but may just be thinking and planning......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Washing done, cleaning done, beds remade, ready for the next visitor next week. Miss Claire and family already. Erin is such a little love who certainly kept grandma on her toes! :laugh5:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

They do don't they! Grandchildren are physically and emotionally exhausting.....
Getting a straight edge in the shed as I am going to have to stop and do a big transcription. The documents arrived yesterday. Wendy is coming to see them, she is as excited by them as I am!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 15 Jul 2017, 03:26 They do don't they! Grandchildren are physically and emotionally exhausting.....
We have our Silsden two for the weekend, they will be arriving shortly.
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Stanley wrote: 15 Jul 2017, 03:26 They do don't they! Grandchildren are physically and emotionally exhausting.....
Getting a straight edge in the shed as I am going to have to stop and do a big transcription. The documents arrived yesterday. Wendy is coming to see them, she is as excited by them as I am!
Is it ok if I pop in to see you and the docs tomorrow morning (Sunday) Stanley? Around 10am?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Or a shade earlier? That's fine I am starting the transcription this morning......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I'll try for 9.30. ☺
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

We were invited to our French neighbours for a house warming aperitif last night, we had an early meal and popped round at 8 to find we were invited to a meal. A long table was set in an outside tent. We started eating at 9 and finished at 1. We left then as they started dancing! Although we only live three houses away it is a rural hamlet and was pitch black walking home, we could only find our house gate by identifying the trees outside!. This was a major break through with this family who lived in the adjacent house for two years and hardly spoke to us as they had fallen out with our direct neighbours( now gone)

You may remeber the saga of the moved boundaries and taken out hedges. It was this neighbour who did it, apparently because our immediate neighbour asked him too. All seems forgotten and we had a good night out.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

There's nowt so queer as folk! It sounds a bit like our Somerset village, Sue. There are antagonisms that you can never fathom, and sometimes they seem to be built on misunderstandings or mistakes. The antagonism can get get elevated to a dangerous level too. In this village a farmer got annoyed by a newly arrived couple over some minor dispute about riding a horse on a particular path. One night he and a mate spent the evening drinking in a local pub then when it closed they went down the dark lane to the couple's cottage and terrorised them by throwing bricks and putting a firework through the letterbox. Of course, they were quickly caught by the police because they'd been daft enough to talk in the pub about what they might do!
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A lot of trouble is caused by incomers trying to impose urban standards on the locals. Cow muck on roads and cockerels crowing at dawn is anathema to them! Funny when you consider they happily lived with constant traffic noise 24X7 in the city.
I part boiled the beetroot and put them in the beef stew Wendy.... I've transcribed half of the first of the three pages of the indenture..... Another stint today!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I will make a start this morning Stanley though there is so much to get done outside on a dry, sunny day!

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”