POLITICS CORNER

plaques
Donor

Re: POLITICS CORNER

Post by plaques »

Stanley wrote: 05 Apr 2019, 02:35 when May goes back to Brussels next Wednesday asking for her short extension
As the law stands we will crash out of the EU on the 12th April. Mrs May is reported that she will be asking for an extension up to the end of May while the EU is suggesting a full year. Meanwhile the legislation, proposed by Labour MP Yvette Cooper to stop us crashing out on the 12th is making its way through the House of Lords. Why all this fuss when Mrs May has promised to ask for an extension? The answer is simple. The MPs do not believe she will keep her word and want the assurance of a written law to make sure that there are no excuses for changing her mind. What a state we have got into when nobody believes what the Prime Minister says.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

A senior police chief has warned that politicians and campaigners should take care not to inflame tensions in the UK caused by Brexit and has criticised social media. It's a pity he didn't also warn the main culprits who've been at it for far longer than just Brexit - i.e. the newspapers.

I have to admit that Brexit has now reached a stage were I don't know what is happening or what might happen in the future. It has become far too complex and subject to obscure legal matters which are interpreted differently by different people. I want Article 50 to be revoked. Failing that, I want a second referendum. If neither happen and we crash out with or without a deal I'm beginning to feel `So what, they've created the mess now let them get us out of it'. I wouldn't wish it on Labour and it would serve the Tories right if they were left with the nasty problem - they've wanted to keep it to themselves, so be it.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Keir Starmer was being very diplomatic I think when he said that May wasn't moving at all on modifications to the political statement. It looks as though she is still ignoring the rest of the world and sticking to her set course, keeping on presenting her deal to the House while the clock ticks down. She doesn't seem to have realised that you can't run a country on spin and blackmail.
Meanwhile, water pours into the chamber, It is a sign! We are all doomed.......
I share your feelings Tiz as you know. If, when all this has passed, some moves aren't made to change the way we do politics it will be a bigger failure than Cameron's Catastrophe.
Later.... see THIS BBC report on the closure of a GKN factory at Kings Norton in Birmingham. The new owners Melrose say it isn't their decision buy the GKN management. They would say that wouldn't they. Is it possible there could be some asset stripping going on here? Another small black cloud on the horizon of UK manufacturing.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

1554551682723.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

:biggrin2: :good:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The Marxist leader of the anti-Semitic Party and his Brexit secretary tell us how the talks are going. T May says bugger all as usual. Reading between the red lines she is not making any moves to modify her deal or the political statement. The bottom line as one American commentator said yesterday is that she is a lousy deal-maker! But we knew that didn't we.
Belgian FM says a five year extension sounds about right.......
I was thinking.... We all agree that one of the big mistakes that was made was not agreeing a position in the House before the Article 50 letter was sent in as once that was done the EU held all the cards under the Treaty of Rome and other internal legislation. How could this happen?
Could it possible be that our view of the EU as a hopelessly top heavy bureaucratic organisation that was obviously no match for an ancient and well proved system of government like ours was mistaken? The one thing that has been obvious over the last almost three years is how seamlessly the EU system has worked with unanimous decisions by the 27 being achieved time after time. Every decision they made has been transparent and published. Perhaps we could take some pointers from such a system and have a cold hard look at the values of tradition and ancient precedence we laughingly call 'our constitution'. It may just be that relying on things like an obscure judgement in July 1604 as a guide is flawed now the world has changed......
Later.... I hear that T May has been offering excuses for working with Labour. This highlights her (and her party's) big blind spot about the process of true democracy. Cooperation with opponents and compromise is essential for progress and apologies should not be necessary.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Stanley wrote: 07 Apr 2019, 02:30 The Marxist leader of the anti-Semitic Party...
You forgot about terrorist sympathsizer. Mrs May's letter to the EU talks about a consensus of opinions but her actions so far appear to contradict this statement. Philip Hammond has now upset his fellow Tories by insisting that a compromise with Labour is still on the cards and that some worthwhile deal can be worked out before this coming wednesday to allow a short extension. The real question is 'who is in charge of these negotiations'? Is Mrs May still offering up her dead parrot as the only answer or shall we see the Tory Party rebel and kick her out? Both options are quite possible.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Just heard on the 11am news that Theresa May is no longer looking for the support of Jeremy Corbyn to find a solution to the impasse. I reckon we can can probably read this as Jeremy has told her to bugger off or words to that effect. Jacob the Mogg has jumped straight in to lay the blame fairly on the good Theresa's shoulders and not Mr Corbyn. It's her deal and intransigence alone that has got us to this position, you can sense the hammer in one hand and the nails for the coffin in the other. :extrawink:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I just wish someone would make a decision so we can get on with our lives...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

PanBiker wrote: 07 Apr 2019, 10:19 Just heard on the 11am news that Theresa May is no longer looking for the support of Jeremy Corbyn to find a solution to the impasse.
I can't find any reference to this. Backtracking on the BBC TV news both for 11.00 and 12.00, both state that Mrs May are still working with Labour to find a compromise deal. Mrs Leadsom said working with Labour has been forced on them and would not have been her choice. Mr Rees-Mogg is doing what he does best, muddies the water in a well spoken way.
Big Kev wrote: 07 Apr 2019, 11:39 I just wish someone would make a decision so we can get on with our lives...
The problem is Kev its like the war years where they took down all the signposts before they made a map of where they were going. Which I think was PanBikers point a couple of posts ago.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's the trap Kev, get fed up and agree to even No Deal. Just what the ERG want as it gives them all the loopholes they need to modify our economic policy and make us the biggest off-shore money laundering facility in the world. They only have five days. If May refuses the offer of a long delay on Wednesday the outlook is black.
One thing seems certain, the news coming back from the constituency parties is that the Tory vote is in melt down. I think the Party is beginning to realise that the next election is going to be a blood bath.
Rumours that Jeremy is not well.... Start of a leadership change? That's all we need now!

Meanwhile, in another part of the forest Secretary Nielsen in charge of Homeland Security has been ousted because Trump has been critical of the fact she hasn't endorsed his ravings about the Border. Serving this President seems to be high risk. Only Yes Men need apply.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

plaques wrote: 07 Apr 2019, 12:08 PanBiker wrote: ↑
Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:19 am
Just heard on the 11am news that Theresa May is no longer looking for the support of Jeremy Corbyn to find a solution to the impasse.

I can't find any reference to this.
You're right, but I definitely heard it and the Mogg sound bite. Must have been a duff report, there's a lot of that about at the moment. :sad:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've just been listening to a bloke called Francois of the ERG who is writing to the 1922 committee asking for a vote of no confidence in T May. Under the Toriy's own rules this is impossible as she was guaranteed 12 months without challenge so why is he doing it? I think that's fairly obvious, he just wants to disrupt the process. He does this as his leader is flying round Europe trying to get an extension. Could there be any better example of the ERG tactics right the way through this process?
I can remember when T May stood up at conference and said the Tories were no longer the Nasty Party. It looks as though she got that wrong as well.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

This mainly for Stanley and other Barlick members. Don't forget that you will need Photo ID to be able to vote at the polling stations in the forthcoming Borough and Town Council elections. Unless you have a postal vote.

If you don't have any of the required forms of ID, Pendle Council are running road show events where you can get a suitable Voter ID card sorted. Next ones in Barlick are:

Civic Hall, #Barnoldswick on Tues 9 April 1pm - 3pm & at Aldi Car Park Barnoldswick.

Acceptable documents for Photo ID are as follows:

Passport (UK, EU or Commonwealth)
UK, EU or Crown Dependency Photocard Driving Licence (including provisional)
European Economic Area Identity Card
UK Biometric Immigration Document
PASS Identity Card (national proof of age scheme)
Ministry of Defence Identity Card
Northern Ireland Electoral Identity Card
Blue Badge Scheme Photocard Parking Permit
Concessionary travel pass funded by government such as a railcard or bus pass
Oyster 60+ pass

Don't lose your vote!
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bus pass and Taxi for T May......
Actually it was once more a plane for T May as she buzzes round Europe desperately trying to get Macron and Merkel to see things her way and also visits to the Netherlands and Belgium. Isn't she a busy little body and demonstrating her commitment to something.....
At the moment, if we believe what Labour are saying (and we have no other source as No. 10 is keeping stum) she refuses to compromise on her Red Lines and it looks as though yet again she is proving what a 'bloody difficult woman' she is with only four days to go before a disaster of one sort or another hits us. I say this because if it isn't No Deal at 23:00 on Friday it will be a long extension and EU elections as I am convinced this is what the EU will offer her. If this is the case, we saw yesterday in the François letter what the ERG are up to and the odds are that they will explode, shattering the Tory Party. I am not sorry to see this of course but it could have been better timing!
Despite May's obstinacy, sooner or later we will get a people's vote, if it isn't a referendum it will be a General Election. I wonder what odds the bookies are laying against a Tory win.....
Open question, could all this have been avoided or managed better?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Later, I see that the back bench bill banning No Deal passed into law last night. Ms Leadsom is not amused....(I consider her a most egregious woman)
Reports that the 1922 committee had T May in last night and told her to go as the party had lost confidence in her.
She is said to have sat in silence as she listened to them.....
Bill Cash fumes and froths.
See THIS report on the resignation of Daniel Kaczynski from the ERG group and what looks like a mini-split in the group.
All told, this is a House in ferment, anything can happen in the next couple of days. The terms of May's agreement (if any) between the UK and the EU after Wednesday could be a trigger.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Stanley wrote: 09 Apr 2019, 05:55 Later, I see that the back bench bill banning No Deal passed into law last night. Ms Leadsom is not amused....(I consider her a most egregious woman)
If Macron says "Non" then won't it automatically be no-deal? The new bill forbids TM from going for a no deal but doesn't actually prevent it.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That won't happen China because if he did and forced a No Deal it would be tantamount to expulsion, the last thing the EU wants. He's grandstanding because his ultimate aim is to be seen as the major voice in the EU as Merkel gradually fades from the scene.
Later. I must be a bit of an oddity because I actually read election literature. I see in the Barnoldswick Labour Voice that Sally Lambert gets an honourable mention with a clipping of her on a protest in 1990..... Nice!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Stanley wrote: 09 Apr 2019, 05:55 Reports that the 1922 committee had T May in last night and told her to go as the party had lost confidence in her.
It was only in December of last year that the Tories gave her a vote of confidence, now in just over three months they have changed their minds and want her out. Compare this with a second referendum where 2½ years ago a relatively slim majority voted for 'out' based on what we are now told were dodgy statistics and false promises but under no circumstances are we allowed the chance to change our minds. To quote the old adage, “When the facts change, I change my mind. 'John Maynard Keynes' . Time to get a bit of common sense into our thinking.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 09 Apr 2019, 06:07 I see in the Barnoldswick Labour Voice that Sally Lambert gets an honourable mention with a clipping of her on a protest in 1990..... Nice!
Sally is standing for the Town Council Stanley, more on our next leaflet. She served for 13 years as a councillor and was chairperson at one time previously.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Ah..... I will have to rethink my voting preferences! Up to now it had been a no-brainer for me.
Today's the day, tonight's the night...... I am still predicting a long extension and participation in the EU elections in May.....
P, nice Keynes quote.... My favourite is Blake, "The man who never changes his opinion is like stagnant water and reptiles breed in his mind."
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Here is our full slate for Town and Borough Councils from our Facebook page: Barnoldswick Labour

Barnoldswick Labour is pleased to announce its candidates for the 2019 local elections.

BARNOLDSWICK TOWN COUNCIL (All Barnoldswick residents)

Coates Ward:
Euan Clouston
David Hunter
Heather Sheldrick

Craven Ward:
Jean Aylott
Liz Grose
Andi Horsham
Sally Lambert

PENDLE BOROUGH COUNCIL

Coates Ward: Euan Clouston (Barnoldswick resident)
Craven Ward: Omar Ahmed (Nelson resident)
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS BBC report of the new Brexit timetable offered and accepted by May early this morning. Now she has to come back and face the wrath of her enemies. She will also have to set in motion the vote for EU elections in May. She says she hopes to get out before then but somehow I doubt it. The other question is will she be allowed to carry the can or be ejected before then,
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

What are to make of Mrs May's promises and deadline dates? 2½ years ago we were promised, come what may, we were leaving the EU on 29th March 2019. With days to go on this deadline she proposed her leaving deal, from hereon known as the 'Parrot' deal. The Parrot was killed off in no uncertain terms. Almost immediately the dead 'Parrot' was offered again, nobody wanted a dead Parrot. Next came half a dead Parrot deal, still no takers. A delay to the dropdead date was negotiated to the 12 April. Perhaps the Tories can do a deal with the Marxist leader? Good God what's she talking about? getting into bed with the devil incarnate? Much prevarication and another deadline bites the dust. What's needed is another short extension but it must not be longer than when the European Elections take place. Success, with skill and tenacity she has negotiated one until 31 October? way past the Election date but ever the optimist we can always leave earlier if we can get some life into the Parrot.
Oh, and by the way, She has promised to resign once everything is all done and dusted. What can be clearer and fairer than that????
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

"Leader of the Commons Andrea Leadsom grinned as she announced a 12-day break starting at the end of today until Tuesday, April 23." - Daily Mail.

It just gets more unbelievable.

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”