MYSTERY OBJECTS

plaques
Donor

Re: MYSTERY OBJECTS

Post by plaques »

Yesterday I was listening to one of these philosophy discussions about how the brain works. It all revolved round the idea that all conscious thought is carried out in your spoken language but subconsciously before you have this second level idea there is something going on in the brain that decides what you are going to think about before you think about it. All very deep stuff. What's this to do with the mystery object? This evening sat outside in the warm sunshine dozing after too big of a meal, I suddenly thought, second level, they are gadgets to help the twisters tie knots in the warp threads. That just goes to prove that Stanley's design committee does actually exist.
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Is it for somehow trapping the loose thread after it's been wound onto a spool?
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sorry no Gloria. You did all the hard work and then P slipped in with exactly the right answer. Life isn't fair!
Spot on P, the memory training element of Mystery Objects proves that it is all in there somewhere. The interesting thing about this pic is that it is possible by Billycock Bracewell himself at his Butts Mill. Could be as early as 1850/60. I say this because there is a pic of Bracewell Hall at about that time which is almost certainly by him. The pic is of men from the warp preparation department and the ones with the keys are the twisters.
Next one?
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

What is it?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Definitely a Kangarat.
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

A Quokka.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Since Cathy has got it. Incidentally I hadn't a clue, I did a Google image search. Link. I want one!
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

I'm sure we have had this one before, I'm thinking Rottness Island Western Australia. Friendly little critters :smile:
Am I right Stanley?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Exactly right Cathy. The Dutch named it Rottnest Island, Dutch for Rat's nest because they found them there. I think it's the only place in the world where there are any and they have no fear of humans.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Today I purchased something useful. Cost was about 3 pounds and you probably all have at least one in your home. The question is: what did I buy?

Here are the "product Function Features" - the bad English is theirs not mine.

1. High conductivity phosphor-copper chip
High conductivity phosphor sheet bronze with the nickel plating, superior working life, nice abrasion performance and conductivity, over 10000 times for inserting andpulling out.

2. Flame-retardant PC/ABS engineering plastics
High-performance anti-flaming PC/ABS engineering plastics (bullet proof rubber) adopted in the panel, abundant in oxygen-insulated factors, decompose rapidly in naked flame, isolate oxygen, high inflaming retarding, heat resistant and breaking-proof, inflaming retarding level can reach UL94 - VO.

3. Technology of meshing socket
Apply to new gb plug of access. Internal inserted with full set of phosphorus bronze production transmission and play Sex degree is admirable, and through the national professional organization safety test qualified.

4.Power and cell in superior quality
Adopting the line trap with the CCC(China Compulsory Certification), corresponding with the national standard, continuously using with the rated power, seldom intineration or distortion, bearing the ideal alternating current transmission.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Chinese equivalent of a BS1363A ring main plug?
Ian
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

nice abrasion performance, inserting and pulling out, Internal inserted, play Sex degree is admirable, and breaking-proof,
At £3 it can only be one thing. An electric toothbrush, What else could it be ??
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

A light bulb?
(just a stab in the dark - no pun intended)
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Ian is so close...
Remember I said every household probably has one. I'd be sure every household had lightbulbs and plug tops. But you are on the right lines. Give it one more day?
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

An extension lead?
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Exactly right Wendy. I don't know how you worked that one out from the Product Function Features but well done.
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Oo oo oo...
Is it an adaptor
WP_20170706_11_33_20_Pro.jpg
Not as old as this one :grin:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

But what has it got to do with sex?
You've reminded me of the instruction book that came with the very early Honda 50cc motor bikes. The fractured English was hilarious and I could never understand why they didn't get an English Editor in to clean it up.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Male and female parts Stanley. :smile: First generation circuit descriptions in JVC VCR service manuals referred constantly to "younger amps". Took a while to realise that they meant Preamp. :extrawink:
Ian
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Stanley wrote: 06 Jul 2017, 02:44 But what has it got to do with sex?
You've reminded me of the instruction book that came with the very early Honda 50cc motor bikes. The fractured English was hilarious and I could never understand why they didn't get an English Editor in to clean it up.

I once offered to proof read for the Guangxi government free of charge because their English public signage and literature was so bad and they were spending a lot of money on producing it. That went down like a lead balloon. The reply I got was "we have our own department with our own English translators." The fact that the translators couldn't do their job adequately didn't matter as much as it would be a big loss of face for them if they asked a foreigner to supervise it. So they host the China-Asean Expo every year with signage that says "Fall Carefully" and stupid things like that.

Yes, Cathy, that's the type of socket we use.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Ah! The old male/female connector! That's a sad story China about the proof reading. It reminds me of the cock-ups that crop up in brand names, like who thought naming a product 'smeg' was a good idea? Try this one....

Yes it's a seal but it has a particular use......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Bodger

Post by Bodger »

Around the Manchester area these were the common fittings
http://www.plugsocketmuseum.nl/Wylex1.html
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Looks like a stamp for impressing wax seals.

On the plug front, I met a plethora of plug and socket variants on field service. The full range of Wylex as in the link plus 2 pin (no earth), 3A clock, 5 and 15A round, oh and the daisy chained BC stuff plugged into lighting sockets. John Howell who taught us electronic servicing at Burnley College related that in the late 40's and early 50's it was not uncommon to find streets in Burnley that were supplied with DC down one side and AC down the other even odd houses alternate in a row. We had the good the bad and the very bad of DIY to contend with as well, you would not want to sleep in houses with some of the electrical installations I have come across. :confused:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

On plugs. I remember those plugs Bodge and the funny thing is that ours were all 15 amps. I always thought they were a better design in terms of contact than the modern plug. I remember when I first went to America I was amazed by the flimsy power plugs and yes, I remember the daisy chains from the pendant! A favourites was to run the electric iron off the light fitting, very handy because it kept the flex out of the way being overhead! Can you remember the special Wylex electric clock plugs in the wall on the mantelpiece?
Ian, you are on the right lines but not for wax seals, it had a very specific domestic use.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

It would imprint CL or LC. Lancashire Council ? For use with lead seals on weigh scales or even the scale weights themselves?

Return to “Puzzles & Quizzes”