SPRING 2012

Sunray10
Regular User

Re: SPRING 2012

Post by Sunray10 »

A slow thaw of lying snow during the day. Misty patches tonight and a little rain/sleet later. Not as cold.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Snowy pic much appreciated.
Julie in Norfolk
Regular User

Post by Julie in Norfolk »

Certainly 5" of snow in the flatlands. Only visible by me on the way into work at 04.00 as any other road user felt my 18 mph too slow and that meant they had to overtake me. Failed to park where I normally do so abandoned car close to exit. Needed help to get out of factory and I have to repeat the whole episode again in 25 mins. Brrrr!
Measure with a micrometer, mark with a pencil, cut with an axe.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Hard luck Jules. I was thinking last night as I listened to road reports on the news that forty years ago I would have been setting off at 2am this morning for Lanark Market with 60 feet of wagon and trailer. Glad those days have gone! Three short walks yesterday to keep Jack empty, very bad underfoot but someone had salted a path on the back street and down the pavements to Wellhouse Road so that eased things a bit. Whoever did it has my thanks! Thawing slowly here as well but not enough to improve walking. Glass rising, 30.3" this morning. Haven't the faintest idea what this means!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

We had about 4-5 inches where we live in Rochdale. The roads are clear today but the snow is still piled high
If you keep searching you will find it
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

All our snow has gone, but there are some strange sights - the top of Hambledon is visible but the town is covered in fog. Where I am sitting I can see to Worsthorne but all below it is also covered in fog. Our neighbour's garage roof was steaming in the full sun. The clouds are now moving from the east.
Say only a little but say it well.
Sunray10
Regular User

Post by Sunray10 »

About 2 inches of snow last night here in Nelson, most of this has gone due to some overnight rain. A clear and frosty evening and night with a few misty patches. Turning colder, again, from the east from Wednesday.
Bradders Bluesinger
Regular User

Post by Bradders Bluesinger »

Sometimes I find myself in a place near here where I can see the Atlantic....and sometimes I wish I could see Worsthorne ...
ah well !
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

From where I am sitting, I don't have a hope of seeing either the Atlantic or Warsthorne...though I am nearer the sea than Barlick...
Lovely day here. Slightly overcast, but warm enough at 23 degrees. A good day for getting lots of little jobs done, both inside and out.
Popped in to see Cazza this morning. We watched 'Corrie' together. (we often do this).
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice to see such varied traffic on this topic. I still think it will be useful in the future to anyone researching historical weather but there's a better feel to it with more response.
Slow thaw continued yesterday and we managed a mincing walk through Valley Gardens in the morning but very bad underfoot. Glass is 30.5" this morning and a cracking frost, it will be terrible underfoot this morning so no adventures! Thank your lucky stars Maz and Cath.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Just back from a very careful walk round Valley Gardens. Terrible underfoot and on unsalted side roads. Be careful out there. Glass rising, almost 30.6". Forecast for tonight is an even harder frost.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Spring must not be far away - two starlings are trying to build a nest in our eaves with branches broken off the cherry tree, and two doves were getting lovey dovey on a neighbours roof. Beautiful day but very cold.
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Spring Very Confusing , Longer Hours of Sunlight yet colder temperatures.

Marilyn - do you mean that your location is closer to the sea than Barnoldswick's distance to marine waters , or that your distance to travel to the sea is less than your proximity to Barnoldswick?
Sunray10
Regular User

Post by Sunray10 »

A severe frost tonight. Tomorrow some cloud then sunshine but very cold.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Just walked down to the Usmanya to get a curry for tea. Very crunchy underfoot. Still a fair bit of frozen snow on the ground. It was good to see a gritter on minor roads today, Park St and Mosley St.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Quad Bike with gritting dispenser was doing the pavements this morning around 10am. He was struggling with the bollards in places on Rainhall Road. I noticed he did not switch to shovel mode :surprised:
Ian
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Feb 7th, Bob's birthday. Over the years it has snowed more often than it has not on his birthday.
Sunray10
Regular User

Post by Sunray10 »

Hello Sue, :smile: has there been much snow around Norden and Carr Woods. Nice area. I remember it well. :smile:

Happy birthday, Bob. :laugh5:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Managed two walks round Valley Gardens yesterday but only safe place to walk was on the crunchy snow. Hard frost again. Glass is still creeping up, 30.7" this morning. Sign of settled weather and not what we want to see this morning. We are as late as anywhere in the country but the crocuses are up under the snow on the old sidings, spring is coming, it's never failed us yet! Look on the bright side. We are well on the way to March!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Our glass i almost 30.5. We have crocuses out in the garden and in the back garden under the apple tree a red rose is blooming! Very bright with a few clouds coming from the south, still exceptionally cold.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Norden is not as bad as Shawclough, but I should think Carr Woods would be well covered
Sunray10
Regular User

Post by Sunray10 »

Yes, I'm sure Carr Woods would have had a fair covering of snow and the same for Knowl Hill. I think I mentioned to you on the old OGFB site that I went to boarding school in Bamford 1969-1972. Bamford has changed a lot since then. I want to visit Rochdale at some point in the Spring and take some photos in and around the town. I like the town hall with its big Ben style clock tower and the museum just along the road there - its name escapes me at the moment - memory not so good now. And a very nice park just opposite the museum with a great big boulder from the Ice-Age. Best wishes, Ray. :grin:
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Sparrow Hill Museum and Broadfield Park. The museum is now in the old Library and Art gallery and is called Touchstones
Sunray10
Regular User

Post by Sunray10 »

That's it, thanks Sue. Touchstones and Broadfield Park. I'd forget my head. Lovely park and a nice museum.
Sunray10
Regular User

Post by Sunray10 »

++Warning++ Freezing rain tomorrow morning will make paths and side roads treacherous. This could continue into the afternoon on higher ground. Better to stay at home.

Return to “Seasons”