WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by PanBiker »

I have at last found where the user avatar hides in the Admin Console. Welcome back to Maz's eye and Cathy's kitty. :smile:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 12 Sep 2017, 03:48
What's 'OSB'?
Oriented strand board (OSB), also known as flakeboard, sterling board and aspenite in British English, is a type of engineered lumber similar to particle board, formed by adding adhesives and then compressing layers of wood strands (flakes) in specific orientations.

A cheaper alternative to plywood :-)
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

So my all seeing eye is back?!
Let's see..
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Eeeeeee....lovely! :biggrin2:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks Kev. My life is now more complete.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Bit of a fuss about the name of a confectionery item at Poundland Nutters. These sensitive souls better not come to Pendle - wasn't one of the 'witches' called Alice Nutter, and on my first visit to Barlick I had a good conversation with the proprietor of the newsagents on The Square which was called Nutters. He told me without prompting about the reputation of the town for 'living o'er't brush'. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's a perfectly respectable family name and derives from 'neatherd', the man who stopped the royal deer from straying beyond the bounds of the forest, (Neat = a deer)
Do you remember when objections were raised to Spotted Dick pudding?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Bruff
Avid User

Post by Bruff »

Tripps - My mother-in-law is Swiss and when she was young girl in Switzerland the first boy who was 'sweet' on her was called Freddie Nutter. I laughed my head off when that cropped up in conversation, given Barlick's own Fred Nutter.

Richard Broughton
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Tripps wrote: 13 Sep 2017, 23:11 He told me without prompting about the reputation of the town for 'living o'er't brush'. :smile:
I was always aware of that reputation for Barlick but even more so for Salterforth. There must have been some truth in these rumours?
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Common law practice to join hands and jump over the broom, prevalent not only in Barlick but countrywide. The accolade for us may have been helped by the fact that St James Church which used to be in the centre of town wasn't originally solemnised for marriage, though plenty got married there (or not) over the early years.

We should also note that in rural communities it was common practice for children to be born out of wedlock, (test the girl you intend to marry first), there was no point marrying a girl who could not produce children to look after you in your dotage or indeed work the farm. There wasn't the stigma attached in those communities either as it was seen as a practical solution to a potential problem. We have quite a few examples of this practice in our families who both come from the farming communities before migration into the towns. With few exceptions the men went on to marry their choices sometimes after 2 or 3 children up front.

One of my larger than life paternal female ancestors who was handed the bad deal was turfed out of a "gentleman farmer's" abode after giving birth to his son's child. The errant son refused to marry her so it was banishment from her work and lodgings. She walked across the moors to a remote farm in Garsdale with her new born and tipped up at the door of a gentleman who she had heard was recently widowed leaving him with newly born twins. She was taken in as wet nurse and she raised all three. She had more children to the gent after marriage to him. They remained married for life and during that life she became the midwife to the surrounding dales.
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I found this picture which I think is from 2015. I also found that my initial visit was actually in 2005. Doesn't time fly. :smile:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Stanley wrote: 14 Sep 2017, 02:48 derives from 'neatherd', the man who stopped the royal deer from straying beyond the bounds of the forest, (Neat = a deer)
Not saying it's wrong but - Are you sure of that? - Based on 'neats foot oil' I'd have thought more likely to do with cattle. I'm interested on this because one derivation of my own name is similar . Surname.

I had been hoping that since Kieran now plays for Spurs - I might not have to always repeat it, and spell it over the phone. No such luck. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"Are you married or do you live in Barlick?" In the days when the Lancashire textile unions used to blacklist members for infidelity you could get a job by moving to the growing town of Barlick and joining the Yorkshire union. A surprising number of entries in the census mention a living-in 'neice' and child....
Ian, some woman!
David, 'neatherd'. As sure as I can be in these matters. It's the derivation agreed by all the common authorities.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

We got our postal vote papers in the mail today.
Simple enough...one question...tick YES or NO.
"Should we allow same sex marriage?"
All done and back in the envelopes. We shall post them when we take the dog for a walk.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think I would vote 'yes' on the grounds that it will happen anyway whether legalised or not. After all, marriage itself is a purely artificial institution hedged with laws for social control.
The end of the Cassini mission in the death dive into Saturn. What an amazing achievement!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I voted YES.
I have no religious affiliation.
I respect others may strongly disagree, but TOUGH...it was MY vote!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That doesn't surprise me Maz. You are a practical and intelligent woman. Besides, I hate being told what is 'right' by bigots who can't rationally justify whatever prohibition it is they are promoting. Think of racists, Vegans, anti-abortion cranks and rabid evangelisers like the Jehovah's Witnesses..... I rest my case!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Text Message from son today who said that he and girlfriend had arrived at their next holiday accommodation mid afternoon.
( they are on a driving holiday).
They were given the key, and girlfriend went on ahead of him to open the door.
Unfortunately they were given the key to the wrong door. She walked in on a couple having sex!
Oh Dear!!!!

The establishment has given both couples "a nice bottle of wine" as apology.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'd like to think that both couples sat down together and drank the wine while they had a good laugh!
It only ever happened to me once, when I went in to my parent's bedroom one morning to let them know they had overslept.... I was only a little lad at the time and it took years for me to realise why they were so flustered!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Bodger

Post by Bodger »

" I was only a little lad at the time and it took years for me to realise why they were so flustered!"
That's what Sunday schools were created for
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

We were "invaded" a couple of times....once on a freezing Winter's morning when son was about 2 and suddenly turned up at the side of the bed stark naked yet wearing a sun hat. I was so astounded that he had somehow shed his pyjamas and nappy ( and found a sun hat in the middle of Winter), that it rather killed the moment!
Another time, he was about 7 years old and he ran in to our room at dawn...excited to tell us his favourite cartoon was on TV.
We had a rather large house at that stage, and his father had given him a torch to sleep with so he would get over his fear of the dark. Many times, I was woken by son prising open my eyelids in the wee small hours and shining a torch in my eyes! At the same time, a small hand would be tapping my cheek and a voice saying "are you awake Mummy?".
( well...I am now!)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Talking of kids, it's my daughter Carla's birthday today. 39 years ago I was already home having woken half of Glusburn up with the windows wound down and shouting at the top of my voice as I drove through the village. :extrawink: Carla was born in the early hours and instantly became my princess a position she still holds. I called at Sally's mum and dads and then mine, like today it was a Sunday morning. We will be popping over to Silsden later today.

I noticed on the index page that Conty shares her birthday.
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

We think a Lancaster flew low over us at about 2.30 this afternoon in a southerly direction. Doesn't quite fit with a Battle of Britain fly past scheduled for 2pm at Southport Air Show though...
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Wendyf wrote: 17 Sep 2017, 17:37 We think a Lancaster flew low over us at about 2.30 this afternoon in a southerly direction. Doesn't quite fit with a Battle of Britain fly past scheduled for 2pm at Southport Air Show though...
Perhaps it was late. I'll check with Aiden Wellock, he's in Southport taking pics.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

It could have been coming or going I suppose!

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”