Today I shall be Mainly...

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Stanley »

Pottering worked...., I shall be back in the shed again today to do a bit of checking on lathe accuracy.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Bob was out most of the day yesterday doing the Santa Special at the model train track. I sewed, cookec soup for the week and generally pottered. Today We shall go swimming early. I have a two hour sewing lesson afterwards but then a quiet afternoon.
If you keep searching you will find it
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Waiting for Emma, should be 9.30, I think this session will be my last physio before Christmas.
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I made ice-cream today, from scratch, for the first time ever. I don't have a machine. I saw Mary Berry making ice-cream without a machine on TV the other day and followed her recipe. ( always wanting to walk before I could crawl, I added Baileys and finely chopped Cherry Ripe!) gosh it is creamy and gorgeous. Will be doing this often adding different flavours!
Very proud of my wee self I am....
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Marilyn wrote: 17 Dec 2018, 09:43 I made ice-cream today, from scratch, for the first time ever. I don't have a machine. I saw Mary Berry making ice-cream without a machine on TV the other day and followed her recipe. ( always wanting to walk before I could crawl, I added Baileys and finely chopped Cherry Ripe!) gosh it is creamy and gorgeous. Will be doing this often adding different flavours!
Very proud of my wee self I am....
Did it set ok, when I put alcohol in mine it never set!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Yes, it set beautifully. Beginner's luck?!
I put the Baileys into the cream before I whipped it to peaks, then folded the condensed milk and finely chopped Cherry Ripe in. Deliciously creamy Icecream. Thanks, Mary Berry!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Ian, hope it goes well and progress is maintained!

This doesn't look very exciting and it took 3 hours in the shed yesterday but if you have a look at yesterday's Shed Matters it's a bit of a goodie in many ways. Very pleased with my spell in the shed. I shall be in there again today!
I have remembered that I am due in Butts Clinic tomorrow for my retinal scan..... Deep joy, those eye drops are murder!!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Marilyn wrote: 17 Dec 2018, 20:35 Yes, it set beautifully. Beginner's luck?!
I put the Baileys into the cream before I whipped it to peaks, then folded the condensed milk and finely chopped Cherry Ripe in. Deliciously creamy Icecream. Thanks, Mary Berry!
I used creme de menthe. It was delicious but rather runny.

Yoga this morning, hospice shop this afternoon and pilates at tea time. Quite a normal day today.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I am impressed by anyone who has a supply of Creme de Menthe in the house!
Not sure today beyond a visit by Susan this morning. Pottering in the shed I think! Then my sleep and more Tomblands.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley wrote: 19 Dec 2018, 04:35 I am impressed by anyone who has a supply of Creme de Menthe in the house!
Not sure today beyond a visit by Susan this morning. Pottering in the shed I think! Then my sleep and more Tomblands.....
Not now Stanley but quite a few years ago. My great aunt loved it ( purely medicinal you realise :laugh5: ) and we kept some for her visits. She used to stay with us for a couple of weeks in the summer for a few years before she died.

We will probably go for a walk this morning, this afternoon is the hairdressers for me and this evening pilates.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

This morning suddenly turned into shopping and cooking..... No point pushing to get into the shed just for pottering!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I have a small bottle of Kendal Mint Cake liqueur, I presume that will be similar to Creme de Menthe. I've not yet felt the urge to open it :-)
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Go on Kev, be a devil!
Not sure yet what I will be doing. One must is to finish Tomblands today so I can give it to Susan for holiday reading!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Can't stand anything Minty. ( not in drink form or chocolate form). Don't like Mint Sauce either.
All tastes like toothpaste to me!
I particularly HATE Spearmint flavour, and would never buy that even in a toothpaste.
I don't like Orange/chocolate combinations either. ( in drink form/ dessert form/ or chocolate)
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Perhaps a list of what you do like would be shorter Maz :-)
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

True. ( and yet the list of things I really hate is very short...broad beans, garlic, minty things, pork, and anything swimming in fat! I also hate blue vein cheese and really yellow cheese. I don't like many alcoholic drinks either)
Nutmeg brings back horrible childhood memories too :eek:
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

There are a few things i am not keen on, such as bananas and most sweet puddings. Lancashire and other white crumbly cheeses make me go very hot and red...some sort of allergy I think. I would however eat them if I was hungry and there was nothing else or to be sociable but I would starve rather than eat porridge, which makes me gag and heave. Even the thought of it whilst writing this makes me feel like that. I can’t wash a dirty bowl or pan with the stuff. My family all love it but are completely responsible for its own production and disposal :laugh5:

I blame it on my Dad, who was not the best cook in the world. When I was 3-7 years old both my parents worked long hours. Dad used to prepare breakfast ie porridge in the evening and warm it up for breakfast at 7.00 am . It was disgusting lumpy stuff that used to stick in my throat. I was told that was breakfast eat it or go hungry. I tried to eat it and on more than one occasion I was sick. Eventually I decided to go hungry. I think I developed my unusual love of golden syrup in those days as I tried to smother the porridge in something I could swallow :laugh5:

Visiting friends this morning as their Christmas card revealed both have been very ill recently. I used to see their daughter at my yoga class and ask after them but I think extra Working hours over the last few weeks have prevented her attending. My friend who I used to work with at Rochdale College nearly 40 years ago has been diagnosed with cancer and has had some form of operation. Her husband had a fall after he blacked out, from an unknown cause. Both are in their late 70s and early 80s so it is a little concerning.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I actually find the subject of likes and dislikes, as regard to taste/texture/smells quite fascinating.
Why are we so different?
I have a son who can chow down on salami/Choritzo/garlic with gusto. And yet I cannot stand them.
Why is it so?he loves Steak drizzled with Garlic Sauce, served with Garlic Bread. After he has visited, I have to throw anything in the fridge with Garlic in, because I cannot stand the smell even of sauces in sealed bottles. I buy them again next time he visits, but in the meantime I can not tolerate them.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I have found that tastes change, simple things like sugar in tea. Up until I turned 20 I always had two teaspoons of sugar in a cup of tea, I can't even drink it if it has been any near a spoon that's had sugar on it :-)

The one thing I will draw the line at is tripe, anything else bring it on :-)
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I I am down to a half teaspoon of sugar...but only in 2 cups of coffee before noon. After noon, I drink only tap water. ( unless I have red wine with dinner). After dinner I drink water again.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I used to love black pudding as a child. I think my mum steamed it. But later, when I left home, any black pudding available seemed to be fried and not so nice. :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I draw the line at snails and fried insects.... No doubt there would be other bush tucker I would reject but in the normal run of things I can eat anything.
Today is shopping, meeting Susan at the bus stop, writing a thank you letter to Bosom Friends and deciding what to read next..... It's all go......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Cleaned the van and made up the beds. Restocked a few items in the drawers ( T-towels, Rubbish bags, dishwashing liquid etc). Dave flushed the water tank and I cleaned the filter. He also checked the tyres. It's good to go...just needs food, clothes and us!
Heading off on Boxing Day...
Mags

Post by Mags »

Look out Max, we have a 40 plus degree day today so you will be getting it in a few days.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

:laugh5: :good: that's why I did the cleaning and wrestled with the bedding today. I hate the heat.
We have great air-conditioning in the van, both when we are driving and when we are plugged in at the camp-site. The air is so cool that Dave puts a cardigan on! He likes to sit outside when it's hot and I like to curl up with a good book inside in the cool. So long as we have power, I am comfortable...

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”