Marilyn wrote: 05 Nov 2020, 20:22 .I will happily go to Canada and Alaska,
Take care - Alaska is a state of the USA, :smile:
Ah yes Alaska, went two years ago. Beautiful place
If you keep searching you will find it
Tripps
VIP Member

Re: POLITICS CORNER

Post by Tripps »

It's late - and I've just watched live, the President of the United States. He's lost his mojo as well as the election. Spoke in a meandering monotone, and slunk off the stage. A beaten man I'd say. No doubt his words will be analysed in detail by others who know more than me, tomorrow, but I'd say it's the end for him - and soon.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Yes, he walked like an old man when he left the room...

By the way, I wasn’t sat watching it - I had the TV on while I was making a pot of Soup and wiping out the fridge ready for new stocks tomorrow.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm a bit more cheerful now. We're not out of the woods yet but it's looking better!
Have you noticed how Trump has gone quiet? Yes, he knows the game is up but do you think someone might have whispered in his ear letting him know how much more enjoyable retirement would be if he went quietly?
I've been keeping abreast with my mate Bee in Minneapolis.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Its got very nasty, those that voted for him must surely now know what an awful person he is , and dreadful politician
If you keep searching you will find it
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Trouble is, I don’t think Biden is fit for the job!!!!!
( it is between the devil and the deep blue sea)
( meanwhile, I suspect Melania is happily packing her “frillies”)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Unfortunately Sue many of his followers seem to have swallowed the Trump Line, hook, line and sinker.
His latest stunt reaches levels of the surreal even he has not reached before. When major networks cut the feed from his press conference and explain that it has been done because he is making false statements it makes you wonder what else he could do.
The bottom line is that everyone now accepts that Biden is almost certainly the winner but he is being sensible and is waiting for the counts to be completed. Pity Trump didn't do the same.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Marilyn wrote: 06 Nov 2020, 07:32 Trouble is, I don’t think Biden is fit for the job!!!!!
Is that age related? I know nothing about him, I'm only aware of Trump and that he is an orange knob...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Not because he is geriatric, but because my GUT doesn’t like him. ( I always trust my gut). Yes he consistently stumbles over words, but it goes deeper than that...I am suspicious that the man is just a head piece and isn’t aware of it.
Trump always sprouted his thoughts without a filter.
I think Biden will have more machinery behind him, telling him what to say.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

I walk like an old man, perhaps that's because I'm an old man. Have difficulty in getting my words out in fact I'm totally incoherent according to Mrs P.
Like Hillary Clinton, Joe Biden may be seen as another suit that trots out the same platitudes but nothing changes. Trump promised to change things which he did in heaps but those at the bottom of the pile found themselves relatively worse off while those at the top enjoyed the big tax breaks. The majority of Americans are very pragmatic and see things as what is best for me, me, me, Things outside their immediate compass of vision are not their problem.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

( I am sure Mrs. P loves you dearly for who you are. There is no call for you to run a nation Plaques.)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Marilyn wrote: 06 Nov 2020, 08:04 Not because he is geriatric, but because my GUT doesn’t like him. ( I always trust my gut). Yes he consistently stumbles over words, but it goes deeper than that...I am suspicious that the man is just a head piece and isn’t aware of it.
Trump always sprouted his thoughts without a filter.
I think Biden will have more machinery behind him, telling him what to say.
Wow Maz! For someone who doesn't like or care about politics you seem to know quite a bit about Joe Biden, or think you do. I know one thing he seems to be able to put a coherent sentence together without repeating himself four or five times in the same breath which seems to be all Trump can do. I reckon I can recognise a Snake Oil salesman or a Carpetbagger when I see one and unfortunately the USA has been saddled with one for the last four years.

Biden cannot be worse than the current incumbent whether he is 78 years old or not. It's hard to detect if you were an American citizen if you would be chanting "count the votes" or "stop the counting". I know where I stand, I would just like the democratic process to run it's course without impediment. :smile:
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Joe Biden is the opposite of Donald Trump; whereas Trump had no experience in politics when he ran for President Biden already has 50 years of experience in politics, including being Obama's Vice-President from 2009 to 2017. He's quietly religious (Trump pretends noisily to be religious) and a caring family man. His parents went through difficult times in the 1950s when the local economy collapsed. He had a stutter but managed to control it. In 1972 his wife and their one-year-old daughter Amy were killed in an car accident and his sons suffered too, one with a broken leg and the other a minor skull fracture. He has been a senator since 1973, the sixth-youngest senator in US history - but consistently ranked as one of the least wealthy members of the Senate.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

`Trump's lawsuits are diversionary tactic with little legal basis, experts say: No evidence that legal challenges will affect result, but they could undermine public’s view of how election was conducted ' LINK
Note that some senior Republicans have now turned against Trump due to his many unfounded claims of fraud and threats to sue. They're worried about the effect on the image of the Party.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

`Furious Donald Trump called Rupert Murdoch to scream at him after Fox called Arizona for Joe Biden - but the media mogul refused to back down' Daily Mail
`Donald Trump rang Rupert Murdoch in a fury on Tuesday night after Fox News became the first to call Arizona for his rival Joe Biden, according to reports. Trump, who on the morning of the election called into Fox and Friends and complained bitterly at how unfair they had been to him during his presidency, was enraged by Tuesday night's call. A source told Vanity Fair that Trump phoned Murdoch, who owns Fox 'to scream about the call and demand a retraction.' The 89-year-old media mogul refused to order his staff to retract the Arizona call.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It doesn't matter what any of us thinks. Joe Biden is right, the voters will decide in the end. He has been chasing this job for thirty years and is advocating patience, he expects the count to be in his favour. I am content to wait for that.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

An example of how perverse Trumps accusations are, he is taking the Georgia representatives to task (and to court), accusing them of electoral fraud. I wonder if he actually realises that the State is controlled by Republican officials!
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

The BBC New York correspondent, Nick Bryant reports:
`13:57. Breaking News. Biden pulls ahead in Pennsylvania.
We've just heard an update from election officials in Pennsylvania. Biden has taken the lead over Trump by 5,587 votes, with 95% of the state's precincts reporting. The state could hand him the 270 electoral college votes needed to win.'

If he wins Pennsylvania, he wins the presidency. Until now Trump was ahead in Pennsylvania, so expect him to cry foul play, fake news and threaten to `take them to the Supreme Court'. :smile:
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

I suspect Biden would have felt happier with greater Democrat representation in the Senate and Congress, like the UK the voting percentages dont always reflect the percentages of party member sitting though its fairly close. Likewise wining Texas or Florida makes it easier for the rebellious and noisy America (with added Farage) to go quiet, but if a couple of other states get added to Pennsylvania for a more comprehensive win that will do. I wont be easy for the USA to find its new sustainable opportunities and managing a pandemic without economic shattering is facing all nations. I think there will be a little more internationalisation with a managing of expectations of individuals coupled with encouraging freedom under the law. Expect to see the Big 4 tech companies + Uber and other app ones grow.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I think Mrs. Trump will be happy to get the suitcases down from on top of the wardrobe and start packing her “frillies”. Mr Trump will just lay on the bed sulking. :biggrin2:
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I think Trump needs to know his bike is parked under his bedroom window...waiting for him.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

He might lose Melania as well as the Presidency. She had recently been refusing requests from Trump's campaign managers to join in the campaigning like Joe Biden's wife Jill did. She also walked off stage towards the end of one of Trump's election campaign events - something that other Presidents' leaders have never done, they always stay there to accept all the cheering etc.

A wider no-fly zone has been set up around Biden's house. It gets wider as the probabllity of him winning rises. I hope he has a lot of well-armed good security men around him. The FBI detained a group of armed QAnon people driving to Pennsylvania with the stated intention of entering the main voting centre. They've broken the law because they don't have licences to hold guns in that state.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Biden has just taken Pennsylvania and reached 273 Electoral College Votes which gives him the Presidency. :smile:
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

GREAT!!!

A Latino cartoon - Trump's saying `Stop the count'!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Hopefully this link will work, the video is spot on, needs the sound on to appreciate it...

Twitter post
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Hallelujah we're saved. President Biden.

I know almost nothing about him despite his lifetime at the top of USA politics. I caught a bit about him on the radio whilst passing in the last couple of hours -

"I'm from the BBC - I'm Irish"

I wondered why the reporter felt the need to say that he was Irish - now it seems it was President Biden who said it - and not a word more. Looks like our 'special relationship' may come under some pressure next year, and the border problem with N.Ireland just got a bit more tricky. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Will Trump make a “defeat speech”?
That will be worth watching.

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”