Today I shall be Mainly...

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Stanley »

What a lady I used to know in Hebden Bridge would call 'A good Wuther!'
We've just had our second trip out to the Green. Still overcast and no sun but nevertheless a nice morning out. Now for dinner, R4 and a good sleep. This life seems to suit me!
Good luck with the fabric delivery Sue.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Wendyf wrote: 07 Jul 2019, 07:42 That looks like a great walk Sue.
It was Wendy, been meaning to do it for years. We have walked the bottom edge of it many times when we have done a Healey Dell loop from home. Its a bit deceptive from that side as it looks like one long ascent on a cobbled road. The reality is that after one ascent there is another and another etc and the path becomes a disintegrated stony track. . On Stacksteads side after the climb from the main road it starts as a stony track and is really steep then it opens out on to these grooved old paths, that go for a mile or so across the plateau. The walk was even better than we anticipated.
If you keep searching you will find it
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I'm sure I've walked on those grooved paths in the long distant past, is there another example of that somewhere?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Enjoying my new colander and sieves. A great improvement! I have used the small strainer already for my coffee.....
Getting my ducks in a row for tomorrow's BCG treatment at Airedale..... I hope it doesn't hit as hard as last Tuesday's!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Wendyf wrote: 07 Jul 2019, 09:16 I'm sure I've walked on those grooved paths in the long distant past, is there another example of that somewhere?
I think we did a walk from Hollingworth Lake up the Roman Road to Blackstone Edge, that track also has a groove. It must be over 40 years ago and I have no idea how or why we were walking in that area! I remember reading a theory that the grooves were for boat keels.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Nothing from Sue today which is unusual, I hope everything is OK.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Sue's pictures reminded me of some I'd seen years ago in the Oldham newspaper (I think).
Roman Road

Nice to see concern for a member who is absent for a day. I've been known to sulk for a week, and no one even noticed. :laugh5:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Tripps wrote: 08 Jul 2019, 17:46 Sue's pictures reminded me of some I'd seen years ago in the Oldham newspaper (I think).
Roman Road

Nice to see concern for a member who is absent for a day. I've been known to sulk for a week, and no one even noticed. :laugh5:
Me too! :laugh5:
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Me too :smile:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Well I have been told to shut up and go away on occasion...
One needs to be resilient to be a OG member... :smash: :training: :brickwall: :cry3:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I would miss any of you who were AWOL!
Busy morning as I bring everything forward for an hour so as to be ready for Mick before 08:30.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Just about to lasso hubby and drag him away from the computer and out for a walk in the sunshine. He has been sat at that computer for over 5 hours now. (He does most days - then he has the hide to say he has put on weight because of my cooking - I keep telling him he needs to move more.)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Does he ever get up and take a break? Even if it's just walking to the kitchen to brew up. Better still a stroll round the garden. It makes sense. I never sit for longer than about twenty minutes before I get up and stretch my legs...
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

He never moves Stanley. I take him morning coffee and a cup-of-soup at lunchtime. After I drag him out for a walk, he is straight back on the computer if he has work come in while we walk. If he has a lot of work, he turns the computer off when I call him for dinner. He works most weekends too. He loves his job! He even takes the computer in our van and works when he can. (He designs house floor plans, so the work is portable....and constant!)
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Wendyf wrote: 08 Jul 2019, 15:39 Nothing from Sue today which is unusual, I hope everything is OK.
I am fine, thanks for the concern. Its nice to know that absence is noted and yes you never know if there is an issue. I was up early and out for a pedicure in the morning. I came home for an early but relaxed lunch, but was pottering doing numerous little jobs ready for packing from France. The main one which I did before I went out, was a thorough clean of my sewing and art room. I moved furniture out, swept floors, dusted shelves, put things away and closed up the cabinet with my machine in. All now clean and tidy for the summer.

After lunch I popped out to THE RANGE to buy a folder to put some of my paintings in that I wanted to keep. Looking through them I have decided that my best art is pen and ink with wash. Some older ones, poor ones I tore up and put in a box so the grandchildren can paint on the other side. I looked at the bookshelf and decided to leave it till another day although I did dust the Toby jugs on top.

In the afternoon I visited a friend I used to work with in the 70s. She and her husband were both very ill over Christmas so I like to keep in touch. We went to her 80 th birthday meal in May and I hadn’t seen her since. Her daughter is in one of my yoga classes so we have a good chat and I can keep up to date. I thought a visit before we went to France would be a good idea. All is well and they both look better than I have seen them in ages. In the evening , there was no art class so I sat and knitted the sleeve of the jumper I have started (my holiday project.)

Today I will need to change the bedding before our trip away. I had hoped to do it nearer the weekend but it is becoming a very busy week. As it is raining I will have to use the drier, which I don’t like for duvet covers as they tie in a knot and crease badly. I am also hoping my fabric will arrive to complete my cutting out, then I can pack that. Tomorrow is a Jeremy Ford workshop all day, Thursday is the last art and creative writing and friday is hairdressers, packing in the afternoon and wine tasting at night.

Bob completed our busy day by shampooing all the main carpets as it was a warm evening and we could leave all the windows open. We have a powerful carpet shampooer which shampoos and sucks up in one go.

Oh yes, just a little issue, Bob has a problem with his car, the one we were taking as it is convertible. We may have to go in mine if he dan’t get it repaired by friday! :sad:

So now you know where I was yesterday :laugh5: , but thank you very much for asking. Hope all goes well for you today Stanley.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks Sue. I have been busy too but not on that scale! I am scrubbed up and ready for Mick and will shut down now. Jack is full of sausage and feeling no pain after having his usual walks and he is empty. I think I am ready!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Wendyf wrote: 08 Jul 2019, 17:52
Tripps wrote: 08 Jul 2019, 17:46 Sue's pictures reminded me of some I'd seen years ago in the Oldham newspaper (I think).
Roman Road

Me too! :laugh5:

Blackstone Edge, yes, not far away
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Some Rooley Moor history.

https://lancsarchaeology.wordpress.com/ ... moor-road/

After a busy day yesterday I now find myself with time on my hands. Three loads of washing done, dried, ironed and put away. Packing more or less finished, or at least sorted with a list made of last minute inclusions. Time for a sit down with a cuppa and a bit of local research
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I've cleaned the bottom floor of my home, including mopping the kitchen and wiping the cupboard fronts ( the cupboard fronts get regular wipe overs because Febby makes such a drippy mess when he washes up. It's never his fault of cause. I have been banned from serving food in several bowls because the water splashes out of them when he is filling the sink. Apparently it is not that he has the tap on full bore :biggrin2: he has denied that during "discussions". The bowls are entirely the wrong shape to be compatible with mess free washing up. Last night we didn't use the bowls, but the oven tray is also (apparently) incompatible with his washing up method.)
That's enough housework for today.
Must get our walk in early, as we are in for another Arctic Storm this afternoon. Temperatures will plummet and winds will howl.
Good afternoon for Ancestry.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I shall be doing as little as possible. Another heavy reaction and whilst I am improving, it's not nice! Helen tells me this is normal......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Ancestry was tough going today as I got sidetracked with 5 generations of Samuels. (Samuel begat Samuel begat Samuel etc). Frustrating, as there were second and third marriages involved and I had to work hard between births/marriages/deaths to see which wife had which children. ( and one Samuel had 23 children...biggest family I have found so far). That particular Samuel bred two wives to death ( marrying a woman 23 years his younger the second time. She of course, had to care for what remained of her predecessor's litter whilst producing her own.) They must have been as poor as church mice. Fancy being pregnant every bloody year!
Lots of deaths of course. Church records show they were burying 5 or 6 kiddies a day, every day of the week. It is heartbreaking.
Came away all depressed and decided to bake a cake. Smells nice...don't know who will eat it, but it is there if we get visitors during the storm. It is wet, windy and cold.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Are you in Australia or Britain with your line of Samuels Maz?
Re the cake baking, I now have a Wuthering Heights image stuck in my head. Cathy (you of course), hair streaming in the wind and holding a tray containing said cake and little china plates, gazing out across the windswept moor waiting for visitors .... Heathcliffe hunched moodily over his computer in the corner.
I'm off to Bradford to join the local history/antiquarian society for a walk/talk on the Low Moor Chemical Explosion. Lunch with their leader afterwards and hopefully some news about the railway map I discovered.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Marilyn wrote: 10 Jul 2019, 00:38 I've cleaned the bottom floor of my home, including mopping the kitchen and wiping the cupboard fronts ( the cupboard fronts get regular wipe overs because Febby makes such a drippy mess when he washes up. It's never his fault of cause. I have been banned from serving food in several bowls because the water splashes out of them when he is filling the sink. Apparently it is not that he has the tap on full bore :biggrin2: he has denied that during "discussions". The bowls are entirely the wrong shape to be compatible with mess free washing up. Last night we didn't use the bowls, but the oven tray is also (apparently) incompatible with his washing up method.)
That's enough housework for today.
Must get our walk in early, as we are in for another Arctic Storm this afternoon. Temperatures will plummet and winds will howl.
Good afternoon for Ancestry.
That sounds just like the way my Dad used to wash up, and the way my Mum used to have to clean up afterwards. Mind you he did wash everything that was moveable in the kitchen at the same time. A good Sunday afternoon clean up :laugh5:

Sorry you feel rough today Stanley, take it easy . I feel for you.

Its a Jeremy Ford painting workshop today and pilates at tea time. I shall have to leave early to get to Milnrow in time as there are major road works and 4 way traffic lights on the main road from Shawclough to Rochdale. This is a road that already gets a three quarter mile queue at rush hour. I like most people will use the only alternative , Whitworth Road which has a similar but shorter queue...and they still build more housing estates up here with no thought to the impossible transport routes into Rochdale where most people wish to get to or go through to Manchester, Bury or the motorway.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I have had another email today from a distant genealogical find. A Widdup this time wishing to visit the homeland and wanting places to visit. I have suggested St Mary the Ghyll, The Anchor Inn, the local History library at Colne. I have offered to meet up but it depends when the visit is. This family lived in Colne, I will need to check out the census addresses
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Sue, my duvet covers manage to get all the rest of the bedding inside and roll up like a ball.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”