Today I shall be Mainly...

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote: 29 Sep 2019, 02:28 I feel neglected! I have had no word yet...
Pop in or phone them and ask for an appointment. Don't rely on them contacting you. :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I believe the surgery does it in batches over a number of different weekends. Our appointments used to be later but we seem to have percolated into the first batch. There are two different versions of the vaccine being used this year. Depends how old you are. I used to get mine off the back of Sally's compromised immune system. I now qualify on age and possibly shoved a bit forward on medical grounds. I see the chemists now do both paid £10 jabs or the same thing on the NHS, they asked if we were sorted last time we went in, we already had our appointments at the surgery.
Ian
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Wendyf wrote: 27 Sep 2019, 16:23 Try Cafe Cargo in Foulridge Sue.
Is that the one on the canal side? If so , yes we have been a couple of times. We actually went to the Royal Oak near Hoghton Towers near Blackburn. We shall try the Anchor when we meet in November. We have decided to make it a regular thing, the weather was very kind, and we had a lovely sunny afternoon.

Been out for lunch again to day with more friends! The weather not so kind, what a horrid day. Our garden pond which was nearly empty is now full!

Our surgery only has one Saturday for the flu jab this year. We shall be in France and they couldn’t offer an alternative ( we were not impressed) so we both went next door and had the jab at the pharmacist.
If you keep searching you will find it
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley wrote: 28 Sep 2019, 01:53 One thing that I noticed in Skipton when I went there to book my funeral was the number of places that had 'Dogs Welcome' signs in the window.
Are you planning on going somewhere soon Stanley 😳
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not really Sue. My social calendar is empty now until January and as I am wearing the new Zug boots I shall not be needing the cobbler's for a while. By the way, when I was looking up information on Zug leather I found that my Trickers are made from it as well.
I seem to be doing a lot of cooking lately....
Looking forward to delivery of some waterproof Gaiters today. Now I have waterproof boots I have decided the wellies can go in the bin. They were nearing the end of their life anyway and I only wore them in snow or extremely wet weather. Waterproof legs are great but they take such a lot of putting on!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

And I find wellies rather cold even with thick socks, give me waterproof legs and boots any day. In my case waterproof legs are waterproof over-trousers.

This morning is swimming, then we have a couple of errands to do and a short trip to M&S and the bank in Rochdale. This afternoon is sewing and this evening art club but I really have no idea what to paint. I picked up 5 art books and 12 magazines at the hospice shop last Tuesday for £4.50. For the group. They are always looking for books.

Its another dreary day, i can’t see the hills or the seven sisters flats in Rochdale, a sure sign of bad weather. There is no wind so the rainy mist is just sitting there.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I agree with you about over-trousers but my problem is putting them on. It's my age I'm afraid, bending down is OK but it's a matter of balance. Anyway, I have decided that a good compromise will be gaiters that can be put on easily because they are a front Velcro fastening. My wellies are not completely waterproof now, they are twenty years old. Apart from anything else the gaiters are cheaper than new wellies! I am also influenced by the fact that my new boots are 100% waterproof.
I agree as well about the weather, it is very gloomy here in Barlick, not raining but definitely not cheerful. We are promised more rain later in the forecast, the question is when will it come in.....
Up to now this morning has been characterised by cooking and there is more to come, I need more veggies.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

In weather like this I keep my overtrousers and wellies as one item if you see what I mean. Step into the wellies, pull up the trousers and vice versa. For walking I have invested in some waterproof walking trousers from Rohan (half price in a sale). Smart, comfortable and no overtrousers required, though gaiters are still useful in muddy conditions.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

If I was dealing with muddy conditions such those you face I would agree Wendy. However, I can avoid mud and pickup on my boots so I can come straight into the house after being outside.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

?? Wellies, gaiters, overtrousers, waterproof walking trousers, waterproof legs. Gosh it sounds like a different language. Do you all look like Michelin Men? Haha. (Forgive me :biggrin2: : )
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Cathy wrote: 30 Sep 2019, 11:35 ?? Wellies, gaiters, overtrousers, waterproof walking trousers, waterproof legs. Gosh it sounds like a different language. Do you all look like Michelin Men? Haha. (Forgive me :biggrin2: : )
Yes. :biggrin2:
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

And yes again. We walked into Rochdale and back this morning after swimming. I had my winter walking anorak on, big enough to get a warm fleece underneath even though it is already quilted. Anyway without the fleece it sort of stands out from the body by Itself. I regretted wearing it on the way back up the hill, the sun had come out with a vengeance. Its clouded over a bit now but warm outside, I have decided to dry our swimming towels and a few other bits, on the line
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Cathy, anything to ward off the weather!
The gaiters came yesterday. I shall report when I have tried them out, looks as though that might be this morning, it's raining again.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

You know what they say “its not bad weather but bad clothing”.

I remember when we cruised to Alaska last May. It wasn’t cold by our standards, about 3-5 degrees and drizzly. My friend Wendy and I were wearing our normal winter gear and commented that it was not as cold as expected. We didn’t even need our hat, scarves and gloves being northern hardy people. We actually felt quite warm. Some others on the cruise were stamping their feet, throwing their arms around themselves and saying it was colder and wetter than they had ever been. We looked at what they were wearing. Thin socks, summer trainers, light weight cagoules and thin fleeces. One was even wearing shorts. I rest my case. However it became apparent later in the week many were from Texas, and even Hawaii . I suppose they couldn’t buy thick and waterproof clothing like we can, or not without paying considerable more and probably not worth the investment for a 7 day cruise.

Lunch out with my sewing friends today. Yoga and pilates this evening. Yesterday , before the rain started in the late afternoon, I even managed to plant my Spring bulbs, water the pots and cover them so the squirrels don’t dig them up. Our pond is full from all the rain ! Still no opportunity to use the pump we brought back from France, to empty it and mend the leak, although at least we have no more blanket weed. The bags of rotting barley straw have done the job. However we have no inclination at the moment to empty the pond as the waterlilies are back in flower.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

" I suppose they couldn’t buy thick and waterproof clothing like we can"
Could well be the case Sue. Many years ago when Janet and Harry were taking the three kids skiing sh hit that problem in Perth, WA. I told her to leave it to me. I found a woman in Northfield who went to garage sales, cleaned and restored clothing and resold it. She outfitted all the kids, including boots, for $100. All mailed of by Fedex and everything fitted. As I told Janet then, the place to buy good winter clothing was Minnesota!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not sure yet. The shed is pulling and I feel it would do me good to get back in there but know that an hour will be enough at first. Surprising how soon you can get to the stage where standing up is hard work! No doubt in my mind that it really does qualify as light exercise.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Been out for a walk on the new bridle way from Shawclough to New Line , Brittania. Its just over 5 miles, we caught the bus back. Its not a new walk but they have resurfaced some of it to make it wheel chair friendly. It will eventually go all the way to Rawtenstall. Next time we will catch the bus to Brittania and walk the next 5 miles.

This afternoon will be a bit of gardening I think, the front garden. We get new neighbours at the weekend, need to make a good impression 😂
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Right side of a bacon and egg butty so will get my walking kit on and have a go at Weets. Should be a good view from the trig today. :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I wrote an article for the BET.....
Today is a visit to the vets for Jack's annual jabs. Love seeing Gillian Marsh, my favourite vet and Jacks best friend! She'll want to see how he has recovered from this year's traumas. Two serious attacks and a bad infection.
Here's hoping for a better year!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I wonder if Gillian has a connection to Tony Marsh who is a senior vet at the Colne surgery. It looks as if its going to be another decent day so I shall be back on my muck heap, trying to reorganize it ready for spreading some onto the garden and the coming mucking out season. I spent a large part of the last sunny day pulling nettles and docks out of it. Its scary how fast they grow in the muck!!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Man and wife Wendy....
Good muck grows good nettles! I hope the veggies grow as fast.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

:good:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I once delivered 10 tons of bagged National Growmore fertilizer to some allotments near Ashton-under Lyne and as we unloaded it into a shed I commented on the large pile of rotted FYM they had there as well. An old bloke who seemed to be in charge told me that plants were like children, the better they fed them the better they grew. Looking at the allotments nearby I had to admit he had a point. The veggies were all show quality!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

My heap has got a bit out of control as I haven't had it emptied for years. Every year I think it might be my last winter with the ponies and I don't want to be without manure for the garden so I keep piling it up! I'm now thinking that both the ponies and the muck heap will outlive me!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I wrote a long piece this morning and it isn’t here. This is not the first time it has happened. i am sure I posted it. I must be getting forgetful. I did post it then went back in to add something, perhaps I didn’t re save.

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”