Today I shall be Mainly...

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Wendyf »

A friend of mine visited the Mary Rose Museum last year, she thought it was wonderful and wants to go back.
I'm visiting my cousin in Harrogate today to introduce her to some family history websites and get her started on some research.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

For 'introduce' read 'infect'!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

The museum was indeed wonderful, so much to see . We were there nearly 2.5 hours and did not manage to see it all. I was born 50 years too late, scientific archeology is definitely what I would have done as a career. I have thought this for some years now. I have even considered doing a course through the open university but cost and time are holding me back.
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Read the good authors instead Sue. You can't do everything! Recognise that your genealogy is a form of archaeology.

Putting the final touches to the flywheel and starting the next casting.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Sue wrote: 18 Nov 2019, 16:56 ...scientific archeology is definitely what I would have done as a career. I have thought this for some years now. I have even considered doing a course through the open university but cost and time are holding me back.
Buy a subscription to Current Archaeology magazine, Sue, you'll love it! LINK
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Thanks Tiz I will look into that.

Arrived at the house in Brittany, freezing fog. How nice to go in the house and see our neighbour has made us a fire in the wood burning stove. Lovely and warm in the séjour. All seems well and i think the sun is breaking through. It was a beautiful sunny morning in St Malo but after only a few miles inland we hit the fog and freezing temperatures.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I've been like a twirling dervish today. Six loads of washing put through and hung out. 39C here today, so by the time one lot is washed, the last lot is dry on the line and can be folded/sorted/put away.
In the midst of that, I discovered 8 potatoes sprouting in the pantry. They are just perfect for making Potato Gnocchi. So I have steamed them and they are cooling. I had a tub of homemade Pasta Sauce in the freezer, so dinner sorted. I want to get this washing all sorted before I get to the next stage of the Gnocchi, as having floury hands will slow down the dashes to the clothes line.
Not that I really fancy gnocchi tonight, with it being so warm. Must get a bit of fresh shopping done tomorrow when it is cooler.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Margaret says it is cooler with light showers in Perth Maz.

Apart from keeping warm and looking after Jack I shall spend an hour or so finishing this pulley for the beam engine.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Zero degrees again, the forecast morning fog has not arrived. Today is more garden tidying before the rain sets in for the rest of the week.

We popped round to see Roland yesterday evening. He has moved into his rented house and has been there two weeks. He looks well and is pottering round with the aid of a zimmer on wheels, don’t know the English but I think Nicole called it a perambulateur. The sale of his house has been stopped by his children, a long story not to be discussed here, suffice to say Roland has been abandoned by his children in a not nice way. He has had to change his phone so they cannot pester him. Long long unhappy story. I have heard of situations like this but never come across it before. They are saying he should not sell because he is not of sound mind. What a load of rubbish. Court proceedings are in the offing.

We will pop round again at least once before we leave. Our visit was a huge surprise as Roland's compter is not yet set up so he had not got our email. We were welcomed profusely and within minutes were holding a glass of something alcoholic. I think we will be missed over the long winter months
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Is there something about property inheritance laws in France that's different to here? A friend of mine and her husband sold their house in France a couple of years ago because if the husband died the property would be divided between his relatives and she would have lost out big time.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Wendyf wrote: 20 Nov 2019, 08:32 Is there something about property inheritance laws in France that's different to here? A friend of mine and her husband sold their house in France a couple of years ago because if the husband died the property would be divided between his relatives and she would have lost out big time.
Yes and we understand that when his wife died they got their share or something like that. The french got a bit complex last night. There was mention of a donation and something legal was done. The man is 89 , and needs some where suitable to live ie on one level not a big 4 bed old Breton house, they will get the rest eventually.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I don't know the exact details of French property inheritance but I do know it can favour the females of the family in some circumstances. When we were over at my brothers one time we were invited up to the Châteaux at the head of the valley. When fully operational this was the home of the beneficiary of the industry in the valley. There is a farm below the Châteaux then the mill and farm that my brother bought and a further farm at the foot of the valley. So three farms and a four storey mill with lake and race. The Châteaux had a pool long abandoned and devoid of water it to was a four storey affair and had been passed down to a young woman through marriage in the family that family were from Paris and didn't have two francs to rub together really. They and their extended family, brothers, sisters, cousins and all their kids used to decamp from Paris for the long summer holiday. The rest of the year the property was deserted. They invited us up for tea and the arrangement was that their kids could use my brothers pool which he had installed down on the mill site. They put up three wooden trestle tables outside the building for everyone with a mixture of armchairs, stand chairs, stools and benches for folk to sit on. They emptied the larder and tipped up every bit of food and drink they had as a gesture of hospitality, we had a magical afternoon with them and reciprocated with a barbecue down at the mill later in the week, 10 kids in the pool.

The young woman that had been landed with the pile said that it was a bit of a millstone round her neck. There was a clause that she could not sell outside of the family, no one wanted to take it on and she hadn't the funds to refurbish it. So it was just used as a back to nature, bolthole during the summer. She was trapped in the legal version of between a rock and a hard place.
Ian
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

It is complicated and our house here is covered by French law. You can’t disinherit your children, but you can protect yourself against losing your home when your partner dies. I gather this is what was done in this case, all legally done. Now the poor man has to prove he is sane to sell what is his in his lifetime (and only theirs when he dies. ) if it was my Dad, I would be more concerned that he could live in a physically safe environment than trying to prevent him selling by proving he is not of sound mind.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

My friend tells me that irrespective of how big her share of the investment in the property was ( and it would have been the major share if not all), on her hubby's death half would have passed to his very elderly Aunt and Uncle as there are no children involved.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

That is true, and when the wife died, the children got their share as a cash donation and there was a legal agreement too. What is left belongs to Roland to do with as he pleases.They get it when he dies
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Sue wrote: 18 Nov 2019, 16:56 The museum was indeed wonderful, so much to see . We were there nearly 2.5 hours and did not manage to see it all. I was born 50 years too late, scientific archeology is definitely what I would have done as a career. I have thought this for some years now. I have even considered doing a course through the open university but cost and time are holding me back.
Forgetting that you are a bit south, the U3A has some groups - https://u3asites.org.uk/lytham-st-annes/page/45585 perhaps Bolton has something similar as being relatively close to you
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Why isn't that sort of thing simply covered by wills?
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Not in France, Napoleonic law states that children inherit half of the property left by a deceased parent. The rest can be willed to anyone , usually the surviving partner. This can cause huge problems for the surviving parent if they want to move, as they are only entitled to three quarters of the sale of the house, unless a legal agreement has previously been made, which it has in this case. Therefore the children no longer have any rights on the property till Roland dies. Then they inherit half of what he has left and he can will the rest to anyone . Legally they have no right to stop him selling unless they can prove he is not of sound mind, which they are trying to do. As he is now renting perhaps they see their future inheritance dwindling and are trying to stop it happening !
Last edited by Sue on 20 Nov 2019, 21:23, edited 1 time in total.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Whyperion wrote: 20 Nov 2019, 18:29
Sue wrote: 18 Nov 2019, 16:56 The museum was indeed wonderful, so much to see . We were there nearly 2.5 hours and did not manage to see it all. I was born 50 years too late, scientific archeology is definitely what I would have done as a career. I have thought this for some years now. I have even considered doing a course through the open university but cost and time are holding me back.
Forgetting that you are a bit south, the U3A has some groups - https://u3asites.org.uk/lytham-st-annes/page/45585 perhaps Bolton has something similar as being relatively close to you
I am in Todmorden U3A and unfortunately we do not have an archeology group. My particular interest is scientific archeology. I am not aware of a local group elsewhere but will look in to it, thanks
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Had a look on the main site, there does not seem to be one anywhere nearby
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

So...in the event of an elderly person becoming destitute enough not to pay the council rates/water rates/etc on their home, are the children obliged to cover those expenses whilst the parent is still alive? If the house is the children's asset, why should the parent pay? On a limited income, the elderly parent shouldn't be expected to maintain the children's asset and contribute to their future wealth.
I am reminded of my friend's mother-in-law...in her 90s...slightly confused at times...living in an old falling down mess of a home on absolute prime land. The old dear doesn't have a bean to her name and must live a miserable life, but all the kids can think of is how much the land is worth! When she has gone, the house will be bowled over, and someone will build a mansion there.
It gets complicated doesn't it. We think our wills are iron clad, but when there is squabbling it gets messy.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've seen family rifts Sue and you are right, they are nasty. I've also experienced personally the vulture syndrome that can affect families when someone dies, that can be just as distressing.
I am reminded of Eartha Kitt, "If I can't take it with me I ain't gonna go!"

I've finished the pulley, now I can get on to my favourite, I love doing cylinders!
Eating well and keeping warm....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Maz, that is why there are so many derelict cottages and small farms in France, the land has got split with each generation. If there is a house and the children can’t agree on selling it, then it is left to fall down. In most cases I think sense prevails. Living parents are left to live in peace or supported if they want to move, but there is always some one who is less caring. You may remember some time ago when Roland broke his hip and was in hospital, the family didn’t even visit. He doesn’t deserve this and I hope it is quickly resolved and that the family has to pay all the legal costs.

Yesterday was a very cold morning, the afternoon chilly but sunny. We have finished the major pruning and pollarding of the large fruit trees and have a nice stack of firewood. It should keep us warm for sometime. Rain is forecast now for the rest of our week. This evening our English friends are coming for a meal, so I will be doing a bit of cooking later. Otherwise I think Bob has indoor jobs to do and I have brought Christmas cards to write, and my book on My Widdup Ancestors to continue with. I have finished my annual Spring clean through of the house, doing most in the summer and last visit.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

When we are ill, none of us are at our best. But to think we have to fight our children when we are at our lowest point, is chilling.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Tizer wrote: 19 Nov 2019, 10:23
Sue wrote: 18 Nov 2019, 16:56 ...scientific archeology is definitely what I would have done as a career. I have thought this for some years now. I have even considered doing a course through the open university but cost and time are holding me back.
Buy a subscription to Current Archaeology magazine, Sue, you'll love it! LINK
Bought a subscription for my iPad, looking forward to reading it

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”