FORGOTTEN CORNERS

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: FORGOTTEN CORNERS

Post by Stanley » 14 Oct 2018, 03:41

The Corn Mill and gas-holders in 1982. The gas-holders themselves are a forgotten corner in themselves as they are long gone but it's the Corn Mill that interests me this morning. As far as I can make out it was built by the Drake family who owned Coates Hall in the late 16th and early 17th centuries, the dates are unclear. Before that the nearest mill would be at Bracewell, near Yarl Side and I suspect that was earlier going back to when the Tempests had the Manor of Bracewell.
Originally the mill had a large water wheel and was powered by Butts Beck but in later years a water turbine was installed. The arrival of the railway in the mid 19th century meant that cheaper flour could be imported and the mill was relegated to animal feed. In 1850 Billycock Bracewell leased it and eventually bought it. he enlarged the dam and built the gasworks. Eventually the Council bought it and the gasworks. In the 1950s it was run by 'Cramp' (Anthony) Hoyle and was still an animal feed merchants but grinding had finished. Later I think it was owned by Roy Laycock who ran the buses.
I remember Ted Waite once telling me that he and a lad whose name escapes me (Robinson?) who was a bit of an oddball and travelled an entire pony round the farms were set on by Roy to clear out some cottages next to the mill. Roy's wife was running a lingerie mail order business at the time and one of the jobs was to move the stock. The lad held up a brassiere and said she'll never sell these! They have holes in them. They were of course peep-hole bras and crotchless knickers. There's an unusual forgotten corner for you.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!

Bodger

Post by Bodger » 14 Oct 2018, 07:43

coincidence or related, my mother used to buy flour from Samuel Drakes corn millers
Honley nr Huddersfield

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 15 Oct 2018, 02:48

Can't say Bodge, a common name.....

Today's forgotten corner is a question. Church Street in August 2012. Why are all the union flags in evidence? I have forgotten so it qualifies!

I haven't looked lately but this old painted sign on the gable end of 3 Church Street was a reminder of William Atkinson, gent's outfitters. The same Atkinson that wrote 'Old Barlick' the unpublished history that we have on the site.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf » 15 Oct 2018, 06:08

Queenie's Diamond Jubilee 2012. ( I had to look it up.)

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 16 Oct 2018, 03:05

That'll be right Wendy! Thanks.

I tripped over this image this morning. I can't remember the exact date (about 2000?) but it struck me how things change so quickly.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Nolic
Avid User

Post by Nolic » 16 Oct 2018, 06:53

I remember the Cutting Room as Firth's Newsagents. Jack and Alan were two grand lads who let me hang around with them. Nolic
"I'm a self made man who worships his creator." Image

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 17 Oct 2018, 02:45

Even earlier Comrade (Pre-1950) the top of Butts had Martin's Plumbers and a printing shop. Tom Fitton had a bookie's shop just on the left down Commercial Street, handy for the pubs and Green Street Club!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 18 Oct 2018, 03:34

Mention of Tommy Fitton the bookmaker brought this little incident from me memoirs to mind.....

"Gilbraith’s at Accrington were the Leyland Motors agent and did our heavy repairs, at one point I took HYG in for new king pins. I mention this because there was a curious coincidence which is worth a mention.
The first time I went in Gilbraith’s garage I saw a bloke in a brown smock sweeping the floor. When I got a good look at him I realised it was Tom Fitton the bookie in Barlick I’d won all the money off years before. I went across to talk to him and find out how he had landed up in Accrington and found it wasn’t Tom but his double! He was the splitting image of Tom and it was uncanny. The reason why this comes to mind is that he was the main man for striking king pins out of the housing in the axle. I should explain; the king pin is the swivel on which the front wheel moves when steered. They are mounted from below in the end of the axle in a taper housing so that the more the weight goes on them the tighter they become. Over the life of the pin they become very firmly fixed in the axle end and getting them out can be a problem. The certain method is to take the axle out from under the wagon and press the pins out hydraulically but this means dismantling the whole of the front end. If it can be managed, an easier way is to warm the end of the axle and drive the pins out with a seven pound hammer. The problem here is that you haven’t got a straight blow at the pin because it is under the front wing. The bloke who swept up, despite his slight build, was the best striker in the shop and he always attended to king pins. Striking well is not a matter of strength but of aim and co-ordination. This bloke came along and drove both pins out with a couple of blows, very impressive."

I should mention that the incident of me winning all the money of Tommy wasn't because I made regular bets, it was a consequence of having too much to drink in the Craven Heifer one night. To cut a long story short I won the equivalent of about 15 week's wages and made a resolution on the spot never to have a bet again! I will be one of the very few people to go to my grave a winner on the horses! That's a long forgotten corner for you.

Here's an oldie for you. This is George Pickles stood in front of his house in Kelbrook Main Street sometime around 1890. He was the village cobbler and I think great uncle to my mate Newton.

Another old image of Kelbrook, Dotcliffe, what date? Around 1910?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf » 18 Oct 2018, 06:02

The houses on the right hand side were once the Halfway House Inn when Dotcliffe was on the packhorse route to Colne up Cob Lane.

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 18 Oct 2018, 06:35

:good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques » 18 Oct 2018, 07:56

Is that the chimney of Dotcliffe Mill, (top left). If so its an unusual design. Any comments?

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 19 Oct 2018, 03:08

Yes P. Early chimneys were often square because of the fact they were built by local masons. The string course is quite common, it's where 'throughs' bound the structure together. In some cases it can indicate that an extension has been added to gain more draught on the flue if they were short of pull.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Local History Topics”