FORGOTTEN CORNERS

Marilyn

Re: FORGOTTEN CORNERS

Post by Marilyn » 14 Jul 2019, 07:59

I will. And if I find anything I shall tell you. I do remember the radiators being on, and we were far too warm, but were left no instructions how to reduce the heat. But that is a minor thing (so we sat round in our scanties, still worried a car would land on our laps, or an errant truck would take our faces off)

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques » 14 Jul 2019, 11:59

The Toll House 'Higherford' at first glace looks like its been wrongly located since the Barrowford bridge on Colne Rd is clearly marked 'Barrowford Bridge with the one higher up the river being Higherford bridge.

In actual fact the Ward boundary goes down the centre of Colne road placing the heritage centre in Barrowford and the Toll House in Higherford. The pub The George and Dragon also being i Higherford.

Initially the Barrowford Bridge was named the Park Hill Bridge. Park Hill being the Heritage Centre.

Tripps

Post by Tripps » 14 Jul 2019, 13:23

Speaking of Higherford - I've had this Youtube video on my list for long time now.

It's very clever. :smile: Higherford Mill
Born to be mild. . .

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 15 Jul 2019, 02:41

Opening Higherford mill was partially a Park Hill initiative, it was done while I was there.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!

Marilyn

Post by Marilyn » 15 Jul 2019, 03:17

I tried the storage device for those pics of the Toll House, Stanley. Reckon we holiday end there in 2003...my storage device has pics from 2005 onward. Must have them somewhere on a disc perhaps.

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 15 Jul 2019, 03:32

:good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 15 Jul 2019, 04:03

One of the jobs we tackled was the building of the tearoom at Park Hill. I wasn't directly responsible but the foreman of the builders used to consult with me about the jobs they were doing especially if they hit a problem. One of these arose when they were building the tearoom. He told me one day that they had hit a problem. They had just finished installing all the roof trusses when the committee decided they wanted the ceiling in the room higher!
We came up with a solution, a firm I knew lent us some equipment and materials so we installed 40 gallon drums filled with water for raising blocks, put a long RSJ down each side and used 4 hydraulic jacks to raise the whole of the roof enough to get another row of breeze blocks in and then repeated the process to put a second row in. Perfectly safe and solved the problem nicely. That was the nice thing about working at PH. we could get our heads together and find effective solutions to put the aspirations of the committee into practice. I don't think they ever realised what we did!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 16 Jul 2019, 02:48

Raising the new beam in 1983 at Park Hill.

I was given an interesting job one day. At some time in the past, the location of the main staircase to the upper storey had been changed and one of the main beams in the large room at Park Hill had been cut and modified to allow the staircase to be altered. It was decided to replace this beam and put the stair back in it’s original position so I had to find a beam and install it. We decided that as it was so large we had better get a new one cut. Ed Furgol and I went up to Boddy’s timber yard on the Great North Road at Boroughbridge to select a tree and get the beam cut. We went into the yard with the foreman and he took us right to the back where there was a massive oak trunk lay on timbers to raise it off the ground. He said it was the only ‘stick’ as he called it in the yard big enough to get our beam out of. It had been felled in 1940 on the Hovingham Estate and he reckoned it would be dry! The agreement was that they sawed the beam out and then converted what was left in whatever manner they thought best and we took the lot. I forget the price now but at the time I thought it was very reasonable. They lifted the stick out while we watched and put it on the band saw. Twenty minutes later we had our beam and very impressive it was too.
One strange thing about Boddy’s was that old Mr Boddy was still about though he had been retired for many years. As we were leaving the men were coming back into the yard after lunch and clocking on. Old Mr Boddy was going up and down the queue poking the blokes with his stick and telling them they’d have to work harder to keep their jobs. I looked askance at the bloke who was running the yard and he told me that they’d tried to stop him but couldn’t, he still acted as though it was the turn of the century and the men didn’t seem to mind. I don’t know what it says about me but I’m afraid I’d have taken his stick off him and broken it! Ed thought it was hilarious that men would put up with this sort of treatment!
A few days later the beam and the scantlings were delivered at the centre and we set two lads on with adzes to shape it as we wanted. After some very complicated cutting and lifting we finally got it into position and it was magnificent but then the management decided they wanted it staining to match the other beams in the room. I thought this was sacrilege but they had their way. What it did teach me was that what we regard as a typical Jacobean or Elizabethan interior of dark oak panels and furniture is actually wrong, it was only the years of smoke and soot that made the wood that colour. When first built the interiors would be a beautiful straw colour and the whole effect would be more what we would describe today as Scandinavian. Ed got quite excited about this and did some research of his own. We are all familiar with tapestries and needlework of the period, Ed came up with the suggestion that the colours were a lot clearer and brighter in those days so the overall effect of a room would be of light and space and plenty of brightly coloured scatter cushions and tapestries. This was regarded as heresy by some of our advisers but I think it’s pretty close to the truth.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 17 Jul 2019, 03:48

Going to hospital yesterday I was reminded that for as long as I can remember, plans have been mooted to do away with Steeton level crossing but it is still there. It's a busy line and there are frequent delays. I was reminded of something a policeman told me once about Hull. It had the lowest incidence of smash and grab raids in England in the days when that was a popular crime. He said it was because of all the level crossings and lift bridges over the docks, the criminals could never rely on a quick getaway!
That reminds me of an accident at an unmanned level crossing in the Midlands on a country road. The sign read "Wait while lights flash". What they had missed was that as you get further north 'while' means 'until'. A car stopped, waited until the warning lights started flashing and then set off in the path of the oncoming train. I think they revised the notice after that.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion
Location: Soon to be Stockport, Currently in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion » 17 Jul 2019, 18:33

Stanley wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 03:11

We walk past the eyesore that is the old Trustee Savings Bank every day and it is so familiar that it becomes a forgotten corner and isn't even nice to look at because of the brutalist design, completely out of kilter with the rest of the town. What happens when Barclay's inevitably goes down the same route?
When it does happen will there be the funding to rectify the planning mistake and demolish both of them? I doubt it. We should never allow this to be forgotten.....
Was it TSB ? I didn't think Yorkshire Bank took over from the Savings Banks ( which were at one time indeed organised regionally I think as the Yorkshire Penny Savings Bank at one time ?) . Happy to be corrected though as maybe they just acquired the building rather than the business.

I think some 'modern' buildings do , if they work well for their purpose, are important as they show development of thought and a lot of our near history is being eliminated , either to recover a faux past, or in modern standarised designs.

Return to “Local History Topics”