Earby Heritage Room

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Earby Heritage Room

Post by Wendyf »

We (the Earby History Society) are having an official opening ceremony on Saturday morning for our new Heritage Room in the New Road Community Centre, Earby. There is also a launch for Stephanie Carter's new book "Getting Better - Healthcare in Earby Down the Years" which will be on sale at £8 a copy. The Community Centre itself will be open on both Saturday & Sunday as part of the Heritage Open Days Scheme. The history society will be providing an exhibition of old photographs & memorabilia from it's days as New Road School.
The book launch will be at 11am and the Heritage room will be declared open for business soon after that. We hope people will come along to get some idea of the research facilities we can now provide and to see some of the items held in our archive. We will be there on both days.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Earby Heritage Room

Post by Stanley »

Any way I can get a copy of the book by post Wendy?
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Yes, I will work out postage costs and let you know, though I am sure they will be selling the book in Barlick Library quite soon.
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Remember the days when the local buses would deliver packets and parcels ? ( and prescriptions, eggs and other market produce ) ? Something thats lacking ever since the demise of the bus conductor really.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

We have had a successful day at the community centre with a lot of books sold and a great deal of interest in our Heritage Room. We are there again tomorrow from 11 till 4.00.
cloghopper
Regular User

Post by cloghopper »

Wendyf wrote:We have had a successful day at the community centre with a lot of books sold and a great deal of interest in our Heritage Room. We are there again tomorrow from 11 till 4.00.
Pleased to hear it was a success for you all. Only wish I could have been there.
cheers,
cloggy
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Thanks Cloggy, that's very kind of you. Let me know if there is anything I can look up for you in our archives. I think you would like Stephanie's books, particularly her last one, "A look back at farming in Earby". It is full of old photos of people and places. Stephanie grew up at Northolme Farm, she was born a Shuttleworth.
The new healthcare book is the same format, lots of photos and local information.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Wendy keeps her promises. I have my copy of 'Getting Better' and will have a good read this afternoon....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I've just updated the index to the Earby History Society archives.
Archive Feb 2013.pdf
Artefacts Feb2013 query.pdf
All items are available to view in the Heritage Room at New Road School. The room is open every Friday Morning from 10am till 1.00pm or by arrangement with Bob Abel or myself.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Local History Topics”