Spring 2013

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Spring 2013

Post by Stanley »

The daffodils had got through nicely here but are looking a bit wind blasted now. Grass hasn't moved at all, the spring bite will be late this year. About -4C. Glass is nailed to 29.5" and beyond normal daily variation, hasn't moved. Roll on the possible snow next weekend! That will signal that the pattern has broken!
08:20. Back from our walk in bright sunshine but still cold. I'm glad I didn't put the Crombie back in the wardrobe a few weeks ago! Talked to a delivery driver who said iot was snowing hard in Accrington. Those pesky showers are still abroad!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Much duller today but still very cold - come on Spring!!
Say only a little but say it well.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Dry and a milder frost this morning but still cold. I've had a look at the five day forecast and they predict a gradual warm up with the wind swinging from NE to Westerly on Saturday, no snow forecast. Glass has risen slightly to 29.6" during the night, usually a sign of a clear night and a harder frost. I agree with you Moh, we deserve a change and some warmer weather!
09:00. Back from walk and errands, brilliant sunshine but far colder than it was at 04:00. I don't think I had fully realised how much the temperature can change between 04:00 and 09:00.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

I always think it goes colder about 7am. Was a lovely morning, but dulled over now - forecast for warmer by week end but chance of rain - we can't win!!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Moh, it says something about our weather that when I said to a friend yesterday that it would be a hot day if it wasn't so cold she knew immediately what I meant. Sun has a lot of heat in it but is losing against the Siberian air that's flowing over us. The change has started already but not noticeable yet. The wind is swinging towards the north as the weather systems battle for control. Another frost this morning and the glass is nailed on 29.5" or thereabouts. Hopefully it will change soon and the westerly airflow will get established.
Some of you may remember me saying about a month since that what I always look out for at this time of the year is the cold east wind that burns the grass off and slows down the early bite. This is what we have had lately but worse than in any year I can remember.
08:20. We've had our walk. Brilliant sunshine but the East wind is as cutting as ever. Everything out of the sun is frozen. I suppose, in a way, we should be grateful because it's certainly 'good' weather for the time of year. We could be having wind and rain! Mind you, then again, we could be having warm dry weather......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A frost again and one forecast for tomorrow as well but the change is starting, we may have a flurry of snow today or tomorrow but the Atlantic systems are gradually getting the upper hand. About time too! Glass is not showing any sign of change yet, still nailed on about 29.5". Can't wait!
09:15. Light shower of snow turning to rain as we went down to the butcher's earlier. Definitely a lot milder, only a slight frost and the temperature in the unheated workshop was 42F this morning. Stove out and CH didn't kick in. Things are looking up! (Having said that I notice that CH has just kicked in but only for a short time.)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Clear sky and a hard frost. Some gales on the Shipping Forecast so it looks as though the systems are getting more active. Forecast for today is dry and bright so I have washed the duvet covers! Glass has risen to 29.7", first significant movement for a while. What we need to see is a sharp fall and a change in wind direction. The grass is showing no signs of movement at the moment, being held back by the cold East wind.
07:30. Bright frosty morning and a pleasure to be out walking but oh dear, it's time the weather warmed up!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Beautiful bright morning and no wind at all. The turbines are at a stand still for the first time in ages. There is a bit of green grass emerging from beneath the snow drifts where it has been kept insulated by the snow...The curlews are calling constantly and naughty Mr Duck is feeling the joys of spring but Mrs Duck isn't, so he is after the poor unsuspecting hens - again. :confused:
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Slip Mrs. Duck a thimble full of Gin.
Saves wear and tear on the poor chickens...
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Mmm, not sure I can spare even a thimbleful of gin....
7.00pm and it's been a beautiful day. The turbine next door has turned towards the west...a few hours earlier than the BBC forecast predicted.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Very hard frost after a beautiful sunny day yesterday. Glass has fallen to 29.6" Shipping forecast says that the wind is changing and is going to come in from the SE but no evidence of it down here at the moment. Looks as though the change is starting.... About time!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Another lovely morning with a gentle south westerly breeze. The duck's water bucket hadn't frozen over this morning for the first time in ages!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Could be a miracle.
Just think...you could have a miracle duck.
Wilbur had a miracle, through Charlotte.
I say SAVE the duck....and wait at least twelve months for the coming miracle... :goodidea:

Lovely sunny day here. Have been out looking at houses for both son and step-son...a job I quite enjoy. They were looking in different places and had different budgets but it was fun. Don't think we had any short list contenders for either lad today though. Might have to extend searches next weekend.
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

What a lovely day yesterday, we spent it in Whitewell & Slaidburn looking for ancestor's graves. It is a little more hazy today but very pleasant.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

The breeze has gone right round to the east again, and it looks like we are going to keep the cold easterly wind till Thursday at least. The warm, wet, west winds are staying in the south.
Sunray10
Regular User

Post by Sunray10 »

After a short Spring-like interlude this weekend, looks like early next week its back to cold easterly winds with a few Wintry showers. So not really Spring just yet - get your warm clothes back out again ! :laugh5:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Little if any frost this morning but we are stuck with the cold East wind till as far as Friday when it swings into the north. No spring warm up in sight. Glass fallen slightly to 29.3" but signalling no great change.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No frost this morning but a bit of east wind so cold. Glass fallen to 29" during the night, another sign that the low pressure is gaining the upper hand. The change has started in the South but hasn't reached us yet. Could be the odd flurry of snow today. Not Spring yet!
07:50. We've had our walk and by God it's cold, frost or no frost. There is a bitter East wind carrying occasional isolated flakes of snow. One thing I noticed particularly this morning is the colour of the grass, which shows no signs of growth. It reminds me of my first impressions of Minnesota in April after the bitter winter. There was no green and everything was burned off by the cold, the whole landscape was brown. This is what the green is beginning to look like, the grass is flat to the ground and turning brown. I've always noted that the longer the grass is held back at this time of year, the faster it grows once the soil temperature has risen above about 6C. The sooner this happens the better.
(Virgil Fox playing Bach on the enormous Lincoln Centre baroque organ is definitely preferable!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No frost and very little wind. Overcast. Glass steady on 29". It was bitter cold yesterday in the wind. Roll on the warmer weather!
Just been outside and since I looked at 4am a frost has developed. Roofs are white.
08:00. Back from a pleasant but cold walk and the sun is breaking through. Lots to be said for the weather but it really is time it warmed up. I have taken a chance and put the Crombie back in the wardrobe till next winter.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Late up this morning so Jack and I have had our early walk. Milder morning, overcast and damp with a sneaky wind rising. Glass is still nailed on 29" so no sign of change. Wind is expected to swing into the North on Friday. (By the way, the longest day is on Friday 21 June..... Not all that far away!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bitterly cold in the wind yesterday morning but round about dinnertime we got persistent light rain, definitely an improvement. Dry this morning but much warmer. The wind is still in the East but during the day will swing to the North and by late this afternoon will be in the SW where it will stay for the foreseeable future. It looks as though we are moving back into the influence of the Atlantic systems. The glass has started to reflect the change as it is down this morning to 28.8" Could be the beginning of proper Spring, the soil temperature should rise rapidly now and the grass will start growing! Looks as though the planting on the War Memorial was well-timed!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Third night and day of rain and gales in Brittany, still no gardening possible. We had a little sun yesterday afternoon so I managed to dig over my pots ready for geraniums and nasturtiums, and that's it. Spring! Lets hope we go straight to summer, good weather forecast all of next week AT THE MOMENT!
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The Daffodils under the wall on the Green which have had some shelter from the East winds have reacted already and there are some almost into flower. The birds are more active this morning as well. It's looking good!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Can't believe it, it has been a sunny day today,a little veggie plot tidying done. Not what the forecast said!
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Light intermittent rain yesterday and the wind swung into the South late in the afternoon. Clear sky this morning, flags dry and no frost, it's about 5C. Glass has risen slightly to 29.2". Forecast is continuing improvement but there could be some high winds later in the week. Definitely a change and an improvement.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”