Where Have You Just Been?

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Where Have You Just Been?

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote: 11 Oct 2023, 02:52 Today might be the end of shirt sleeve weather Kev.....
That's the case here in Taunton too. This forecast for coming days begins with what we've been having in recent weeks but it's going to be a daytime change from 18C to 12C and, worse, a night temperature drop from 15C to 1C! I feel sorry for the wildlife, it's been buzzing with life in our garden but a lot will be killed off by such a dramatic change.

Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Tizer wrote: 11 Oct 2023, 08:45
Stanley wrote: 11 Oct 2023, 02:52 Today might be the end of shirt sleeve weather Kev.....
That's the case here in Taunton too. This forecast for coming days begins with what we've been having in recent weeks but it's going to be a daytime change from 18C to 12C and, worse, a night temperature drop from 15C to 1C! I feel sorry for the wildlife, it's been buzzing with life in our garden but a lot will be killed off by such a dramatic change.

It looks like I'll need some warm clothes for my trip to Ottery St Mary on Saturday!
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Wendyf wrote: 11 Oct 2023, 15:42Ottery St Mary
That revived a memory. In the Army you could have a rail warrant, or claim mileage for your journey to your leave destination. A collegaue always went to Ottery St Mary (from Northumberland) . Quite a distance. :smile:

I see this today which makes the fact that I don't go anywhere much a lot more tolerable. It's a while since I went to Bath - but the air quality seemed good. As others have pointed out when a car is parked there are zero emissions so the most polluting ones should be encouraged to do so.

car park.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

My Susan was in Bath until earlier this week but after a quick pit stop chez Graham Towers to do her washing is this morning in a hotel in Edinburgh on her way out to Boston on a flight at 11 this morning..... Makes my head spin!
We have 4C at the moment Peter and expect a high of 12C today.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Last night our Labour Party Branch Quiz Night at St Joseph's for party funds. Organised by Mike and Pat who set quite a mean quiz! Our team of four, "Weavers Union" came triple joint second. Sally says it was because I mistook the silhouette of Belgium as Ukraine and in the bird identification I got the Greenfinch wrong! Oh well, no sweeties for me. :cry3: We had a raffle running on the side which I also didn't win anything in! :ohno: Our Prospective Parliamentary candidate was in attendance along with quite a few others from both sides of Pendle Hill. :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Ian, if that's a sample of the questions thank your lucky stars I wasn't on your team!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Neil and Linda MacSween who are old friends made up our team of four. Neil is a grammar school boy and quite handy, he said it wasn't Ukraine but didn't offer an alternative! I work on the principle that a good guess is better than no answer at all and I was wrong, same with the garden bird. Sally knew that one but was doing the raffle so hey ho, still my fault though, of course. :extrawink:

The evening wasn't about winning a quiz it was a fund raiser to help Jonathan send Stephenson on his way. Every little helps including wrong guesses. :laugh5:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"help Jonathan send Stephenson on his way. "
Amen to that. How we ever let him get in beats me. Just goes to show, history ought to be the key subject in all schools! Nobody who understands the history can ever vote Tory.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Leeds for the day, took the granddaughters shopping, well as far as the Trinity Centre then we parted company after a bit of lunch at the ubiquitous Greggs! Found my way into Next and bought a new checked shirt and some stretch Chinos, before then we were in the market place and I got a new strap for my watch as the old one's retainer loop broke last night. Guy at the shop had to chop the strap pins out as they weren't the spring type which I now know is why I failed to get the old ones off. New pins and leather strap so all good. Got back down to Leeds station just in time with 5 minutes to spare for the 15.57 back to Skipton where we managed to find spot on the station car park this morning. Girls had a good time with some of their Christmas money. :smile:
Ian
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Llandrindod Wells for Christmas.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I went to the surgery for bloods and then to Co-op on way home for milk and Cox's. That was the height of my ambitions!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Boundary Mill to take advantage of the sales now most have gone back to work. Not overly crowded and no queue for the tills. Got two pairs of corduroy jeans, two jumpers and a belt, Paulette got a new dress. All for considerably less than the original prices :good:
I've found a clothing brand that I like and there's an outlet for it there, which is good. https://www.brooktaverner.co.uk/?gad_so ... IAEALw_wcB
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Question from a pedant, how can you have corduroy jeans? Surely a contradiction in terms......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 03 Jan 2024, 03:07 Question from a pedant, how can you have corduroy jeans? Surely a contradiction in terms......
They look like jeans but are made from corduroy not denim.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good: (Sort of.....) :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

The Sex Machines Museum in Prague Old Town, very entertaining listening to the reactions of some of the 'youth'. You'd think they'd invented it :biggrin2:
► Show Spoiler
Went in a boat ride too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

The Sex Machines Museum in Prague Old Town, very entertaining listening to the reactions of some of the 'youth'. You'd think they'd invented it :biggrin2:

Went on a boat ride too.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"You'd think they'd invented it"
They are convinced that they did. I remember seeing a survey in the States and the majority of college students believed that their parents were limited to missionary position coupling in the dark and under the bed covers.
Dream on Kids!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Anyone thinking of booking a trip to Prague, I would highly recommend the Grand Majestic Plaza through easyJet. Flew from Manchester with minibus transfers in Prague. The hotel is a 5 minute walk from the 'Old Town' and it's very nice. The inclusive breakfast is a grazing experience, an all you can eat selection of hot and cold 'English' and 'continental'.
Bacon, scrambled eggs, sausage, tomato. Cheese and meats, fresh fruit, freshly ground coffee, fruit juices, a waffle and pancake 'station', we could have stayed for hours grazing and people watching :biggrin2:
https://www.easyjet.com/en/holidays/cze ... lsrc=aw.ds
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Sounds like you had a good trip Kev. When we went we stayed at the Union Hotel which is an Art Deco building. Breakfast was the same as yours. It was a short tram ride up to the centre of town.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Probably on my penultimate trip to Skipton on the bus to pay into Barclay's Bank for Bosom Friends. I got the 10.18 M6 bus, "which turned up nearly 10 minutes late) from Barlick to Skipton. Up to Barclay's to pay in. The bank only has a single paying in point for cash which was already occupied by a couple at the counter who seemed to be tying up the paying in counter with a paperwork issue which could have been dealt with in at least three other areas of the bank! Anyway I was next so I paid in a mixture of notes and 7 bags of coins. The latter being the reason to go to a proper bank. If I pay in at the Post Office in town they only take 3 bags of coins, no good to a shop that deals in cash! Anyway I was back out of the bank by 11am. Hot footed it back down the High Street to hopefully get the 11.10 280 Preston bus which goes through Barlick. It was bang on time when I got back to the bus station. Bus wasn't there but it rocked up 10 minutes later at twenty past eleven. Driver hopped off and went off for his break! He came back at 11.30 and opened up for passengers. Traffic lights with half of Thornton Drag conned off which delayed us another 5 minutes. Quick loop round by Earby and Kelbrook then back up into Barlick arriving around midday. So all in all a 90 minute excursion. Good job I have bus pass. :extrawink:

I say penultimate as the Skipton branch of Barclay's is closing on the 7th March I think it is. It's to be hoped that our new banking hub will come up to scratch for customers who need to pay in cash. Counter services will be run by Post Office Counters but I'm hoping they wont have the stupid 3 bag rule.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Ian, are you saying that the new banking hub hasn't stated its terms of business yet?
If that doesn't show contempt for customers I don't know what does. "Take it or leave it" seems to be the message.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I picked up a leaflet on the new hub last night at the Civic Hall. PO Counters say they will accept and vend cash for change etc. However they don't say how much they will accept in change which is the crux of the matter for cash based businesses.
I wonder also if they will accept Scottish notes and the old pound coins, both of which are still honoured at a proper bank but not at our current Post Office when paying in.
We find the old pound coins in our collection tubs that are in various venues around town. Not in huge amounts but still legal tender as are Scottish Bank notes. I paid in 7 bags of coins yesterday at the bank, that would require three trips to the PO if they enforce the 3 bag rule and very messy accounting for us.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's almost as though the system is running a campaign to make things as difficult as possible for small businesses.
Or am I just being a silly old man...... ?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Quiz night, last night in aid of the West Craven Food Bank. Very well attended and our team of four against most of the other teams of eight were doing OK for the first couple of rounds and we were more than holding our own. Supper was pie and peas, half way through. There was a raffle and our numbers were drawn three times! :smile: We had a round of "SitDown Bingo" and I got into the last three before my number came up. More quizzing and the marking of the two picture rounds sealed our fate. A very good night, the quiz was put together by Linda's daughter Sophia, Linda normally looks after the bar at St Joseph's where the event was. A healthy amount of cash was raised for the Food Bank which we shouldn't need of course and is a direct product of the Tory Government.
Ian

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”