History walk.

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

History walk.

Post by Wendyf »

The Earby History Society has arranged a walk on Monday 2nd September as part of the Pendle Walking Festival.
We start at the Youth Hostel and take in some of the older parts of Earby before heading out across the fields to Thornton in Craven. There will be a guided tour of the parish church and chance to eat lunch before starting back to Earby through Boothbridge. Refreshments will be available at the end.
Its a gentle walk of approximately 5 miles, and all are welcome.
Meet at the Youth Hostel at 11am and bring a packed lunch.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: History walk.

Post by Wendyf »

Well, it's not a very promising day for our walk...cold wet and windy! It might have brightened up by 11.00am.
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Good luck with the walk Wendy.

This coming Saturday (7th September) we have our second annual Ginnel Gather in Barlick.

I've devised a second route which will take walkers along lots more alleys, snickets and ginnels around Barnoldswick. Leaflets of the route, which people can do in their own time at their own pace, will be available in the Town Square Marquee from 10am.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

The walk went very well, we were surprised that about 25 people turned up. Unfortunately tarmac was being laid down Booth Bridge lane, so we weren't allowed down that way. We just managed to get down as far as the old railway line....5 minutes later and we would have had to turn round and walk back up the hill to Thornton.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

This year's EDLHS entry for the Pendle Walking Festival is an approx.five mile walk around the Salterforth area on Wednesday 3rd September.
We are meeting at the Anchor Inn at 10.30am (when pie & peas can be ordered for lunch).The walk follows the canal towpath as far as County Brook mill then heads back through the fields as far as Dye House Farm before going back towards Salterforth village and back to the Anchor in time for lunch.
All welcome!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Sounds good Wendy, will try and make it. Sally will manage Finlay for the day.
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

You will be home for the afternoon Ian. :smile: Looks like the weather will be kind to us.
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Barnoldswick's Beating the Bounds walk is tomorrow (Sunday 31st Aug).

As well as the walk, bounders can enjoy the Beating the Bounds Lunch provided by the town council.

The walk begins at Letcliffe Park at 10.30am.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Did you get many people on the Beating the Bounds walk David?
Looking forward to our Salterforth walk tomorrow.
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

28 Wendy; they enjoyed it hugely.

Here they are after partaking of the Beating the Bounds Lunch and singing the Beating the Bounds Song...

Son Tom is the only person to have taken part in all the Beating the Bounds walks; don't know how he'll deal with this burden as he gets a little older...

Hope Salterforth walk goes well!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I hope Tom doesn't have to suffer any beatings at the boundary stones! We must attempt a Thornton in Craven beating of the bounds sometime, it would be quite a long walk though, and over some rough terrain.
We had 28 on our walk too! Only a handful of locals, but folk from across Lancashire and even a couple from the Cotswolds. The pie & peas lunch at the Anchor was delicious.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

We have tried for ages to try and work out what the folk in this photograph from Colne were doing. Do you think it could be to do with beating the bounds? Some of the children have sticks...

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I vaguely remember this picture from the old site. The word Onkonkay comes to mind. Don't think we ever got to the bottom of it. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

That's right Tripps, I found it on the old site this morning but as there is obviously beating involved with whatever they are doing I'm getting drawn towards beating the bounds. At one time children were beaten at boundary markers so they wouldn't forget the place, perhaps they were more civilised by the time this photo was taken and a token man representing a dog was whipped instead!
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Just popped in again - can't help it. :smile:

My old Latin teacher told us the same story about 'geography by beating', a long time ago. He attributed the method to the Romans. Didn't say what the evidence was.

I think he is a bear rather than a dog, but the taxidermed one in the case is interesting.

Here's an interesting link Onkonkay

I'm off now - promise. . . . . .
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday

Return to “Local History Topics”