LIGHTS IN THE SKY 2013

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: LIGHTS IN THE SKY 2013

Post by Wendyf »

Just bringing this more recently used topic back to top!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote: 21 Oct 2023, 11:52 I found absolute proof that we have entered the Xmas season in the greengrocer's this week. The sprout harvesting season has started.
We had difficulty finding our way out of the Tesco supermarket yesterday. There were big clusters of staff in Xmas clothing being briefed by team leaders and they were blocking the entrance/exit! Others were wandering around outside holding boxes of sweeties out to entice people to come in. We're going to be blitzed with Xmas on every visit now until the Big Day is over! :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I see the Smyth's Toyshop adverts are on every night now. If I remember rightly they replaced Toys'rUs. How could a shop like that fail?
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think Xmas shopping may be in full swing.... I have just had a walk and a sit on traffic duty and as I crossed the Pioneer car park I wondered why there seemed to be cars driving round in circles. By the time I had reached the other side I had sussed out what was going on. The car park was full and they were all looking for spaces.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 15 Dec 2023, 12:14 I think Xmas shopping may be in full swing.... I have just had a walk and a sit on traffic duty and as I crossed the Pioneer car park I wondered why there seemed to be cars driving round in circles. By the time I had reached the other side I had sussed out what was going on. The car park was full and they were all looking for spaces.
And yet the car park on Rainhall Road is practically empty. I guess most won't walk too far...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Always the case Kev. Much too far to walk for many drivers.
Just realised, a week on Monday is Der Tag!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Depends how much shopping you have I suppose. Bays in the coop car park were put down when the majority of cars were a normal size and not the Chelsea tractors and so called SUV's that a lot of folk drive now. Aldi car park is 10 times better than the Coop, all on one level, no daft divider bays and always somewhere to park, I can usually get in the area right behind the tills.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's amazing how much weight you can get in a shopping trolley like mine. But I suppose it's only human to try to avoid that effort. The worst part of the trip back from the Town Square is the steps up into Co-operative Street from the Pioneer car park......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

What you need is one of these - Step trolley

LKF that I actually invented it - (in my mind only) in the 1950's when I had to deliver newspapers from a heavy bag, up steps. I dismissed the idea as ridiculous. Looks like someone else made it work. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I reckon I own the rights to Windows as a trade name. :extrawink: A long time ago when computer programs were stored on tape, I wrote a mixed (Assembler and Basic) program for a friend. It was for display purposes in his video rental shop It allowed you to choose coloured banners at all four quarters of the screen and put animated rolling text in each one. It was 1982 and I called it Windows, I was paid £30.00 for doing it although I don't have a receipt. I do still have a copy of the cassette tape though duly annotated as Windows and dated 1982, it runs on a BBC Model B computer. Three year later in 1985 that Bill Gates bloke pinched the name and started selling his program using the same name. The rest is history so to speak! I would settle for £1 for each copy he has sold using my computer program name. :extrawink:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I reckon with a good lawyer and a no win no fee arrangement in place you could still have a nice little earner there Ian! Go for it!
Yes David, I have seen those trolleys and yes they are good but they still don't alter two physical facts, the weight of the shopping and the height it has to be raised. Truth is I need a personal shopper......
A week today will be Der Tag! I am thinking of veggie shopping on Wednesday.......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Weight and height remain the same regardless on that route but it would be a better tool for the job though. Alternatively you could go the slightly longer way round the front of the Fire Station and avoid the steps altogether.
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Stanley wrote: 18 Dec 2023, 03:39 they still don't alter two physical facts, the weight of the shopping and the height it has to be raised.
Morrisons (and others) will deliver to your kitchen.

Delivery charge starts at £1,50 for a minimum spend of just £25. That's for an unpopular time, though I don't think that would be a problem. Christmas week isn't a good time to start, but worth bearing in mind for next year. I've little doubt it will not be considered though. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Coop has recently cancelled it's delivery service as the van is no longer available apparently.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm not ready for delivery services yet. I am a great believer in the value of constructive stress in these matters. The more you fight the better and longer you stay in the game.
Besides, I like to spot the bargains in the supermarket and support the local traders in Town Square. Money paid to them stays in the town, paid to the Co-op it's exported immediately.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

I absolutely love and very much appreciate having the bulk of my grocery shopping delivered . I place a delivery order every 2-3 weeks, and inbetween when necessary I pop out and grab fresh milk , veg, whatever.
I pay the delivery fee annually, you don’t miss the amount paid, and it covers unlimited deliveries, as often as I need.
The supermarket app that I order thru, lets me know of any specials .
It saves my time, my back, pulling a heavy buggy, etc, etc, etc. 👍❤️😊
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 19 Dec 2023, 03:07 Besides, I like to spot the bargains in the supermarket and support the local traders in Town Square. Money paid to them stays in the town, paid to the Co-op it's exported immediately.
Not strictly true Stanley. The Coop is still affiliated to the Labour Party and still operate a degree of altruism with local charities. Over the years Bosom Friends have benefited from grants and donations from our local CO-OP for which we are very grateful. For instance they supported one of our walks for Audrey with bottled water, oranges and snacks for the 100 or so walkers that took part. :smile:
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I've little doubt it will not be considered though. :smile:

Thanks Cathy for your post. I agree entirely.
Ian - you've saved me some typing. I was going to make that point.
I've long thought that the supermarkets don't want to deliver as they lose money on it. Note that Aldi and Lidl want nothng to do with it.

I saved this cutting from 2013 . Quote from Dalton Philips CEO of Morrisons.

“You have to be careful in how you approach that market because it is not clear the route to profitability for most retailers,” Philips told BBC Radio 4’s You & Yours.
“The genius of the supermarket today is that customers help keep costs down because they drive in their car, in their time, with their insurance, to your store. They pick up the groceries, they put them in the basket, you scan them out, and then they drive it home.
“When the retailer does all that work for the customer, and essentially doesn’t charge a premium for that, you can end up subsidising your online customer by charging your core customer more. “That is something I philosophically struggle with. Therefore we have got to be careful about how we approach this market. We recognise there is a huge demand for it, but we have got to do it in a way that is right for our customers and our shareholders.”

He got fired for his honesty, and publicy humiliated by Sir Ken Morrison at the AGM. Looking at the present state of the Company though - I think he had the last laugh.

All that said - one must do whatever suits one. . . . :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I still make the point that the bulk of their profit goes out of the town. I know about their charitable activities and still benefit from the small divi but the bulk of the profits is exported.
It's only five minutes walk to the Co-op and the exercise does me good. No need for home deliveries for me.
I have always thought that home deliveries might help with their market share but it can't do anything for net profit.
Festive veggie shopping today and I will have the benefit of a Sherpa, Susan is coming to help me..... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

The now tradional Christmas vegetable reductions have appeared -in most supermarkets.

A 'loss leader' and driven by competition of course, but why not fill your boots? Pretty close to free.

I'm trying to think of a reason not to buy any, because we will surely hear one. :smile:

Cheap Christmas vegetables
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Here's the reason.... because you have already bought all the veggies you need in a local shop, not a supermarket.
It's called supporting local traders.....
We now enter the last segment of Xmas Shopping, The three day frenzy leading up to Boxing Day.
I have a question, why do people need more food at Xmas than on a normal weekend? :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

There's always something! I have been bragging about having finished all my shopping and Xmas cooking but have just remembered one thing I forgot. I had meant to get some stuffing and make some supercharged stuffing by incorporating mince meat in it. I shall go to the Co-op and get it early doors!
I have also sorted out another present for Great Grandson Alex. A 1" Starrett micrometer which I will give to Susan to take to Oz with her..... (Every 11 year old lad should have a micrometer!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A Xmas card from 1939. Sent from the British Expeditionary Force at the start of a hard war.

A happy holiday and as good a new year as possible to all of you. Thank you for being my companions through the year..... :good: :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Youngest offspring has gone to Boundary Mill with his wife and daughter, I have decided they must be mad :laugh5:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Ah, the young have different ideas than us at times. I agree with you! :biggrin2: :good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “General Miscellaneous Chat & Gossip”