Social Media

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: Social Media

Post by PanBiker »

We have put a new page up with our new logos and re-branded colour scheme for the graphics.

B.E.Bosom Friends Facebook Page.
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

With a fourteen digit random mixed character password, plus two factor authentication. of course. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Of course.

Group pages in Facebook are spawned from personal pages so the security is the same as the creator of the group. Other admins use the same level of security. I personally use a random browser generated strong password (Firefox generates 15 character, mixed upper and lower case with random punctuations and numbers) combined with two factor authentication.

Just checked and since the new group page was launched earlier today we have 183 followers. A bit to go to get back to the 1.7k we had on the previous group page, it had been up for over 12 years though. :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That all sounds good and all credit to you for getting it up and active so quickly.
What struck me is that the real winner in all this is Meta because they have a stronger customer page and at no cost or effort from themselves....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Aye but we don't run advertising and it cost us nothing.

The scary thing is that we cant delete or disable the old group page.

Our Jack has quite a bit of experience with school sites or with schools who want to establish group pages. He has the modus sussed regarding the hackers. He says the normal run of things is to hijack popular pages with a lot of followers or likes, the hackers then do nothing, maybe for months. They may then drop an advertising link or click bait post onto the site which will generate revenue. Doesn't have to be massive just steady. Multiply by the hundreds of sites that they have "banked" and you have something for nothing. All based on other organisations kudos and standings within the areas they work in or represent.

The other worrying thing is that the messaging service on the old group page is still working but we cant retrieve anything that is posted.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Couldn't Meta stop those exploitations?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Yes they could Stanley but they cant be bothered, support for users is abysmal and effectively done by maintaining an anonymity stance. :sad:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

My problem is that I can remember a time when it was quite normal for a business to be run with consideration for the users/customers. This was above and beyond what was legally expected of them but was regarded as a mark of excellence and therefore good business. These matters went hand in hand. That has all gone now with these massive corporations and if there is any justice at all, it will turn round and bite them in the end.....
I wish the new page well......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 27 Sep 2023, 03:01 My problem is that I can remember a time when it was quite normal for a business to be run with consideration for the users/customers. This was above and beyond what was legally expected of them but was regarded as a mark of excellence and therefore good business.
Indeed, I spent the first 20 years of my working life providing service for customers. Come to think of it, all my working life was in in support roles one way or another. :smile:
Ian
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

PanBiker wrote: 26 Sep 2023, 09:34 Yes they could Stanley but they cant be bothered, support for users is abysmal and effectively done by maintaining an anonymity stance. :sad:
A couple of the FB groups I belong to - one on British Lorries I think have been hacked and the user/s cannot get back into the group to delete the (unsavory) content and so on.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I read that a man in London concerned by the possibility of his children being poisoned by social media has persuaded most of the other parents of children at the same school to push for smartphones to be banned at the school. The head and teachers are keen to go along with the idea. But there is another aspect to this. That man is the head of a local secondary school and once his kids' primary has adopted the ban he wants to do the same for his own secondary school and is already working on the plan. He believes that as other schools come on board the smartphone companies and social media giants will see sales and membership fall and that will have more effect on them than threats of legislation.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I know it's a stupid old person's question but how did we manage to survive in the days before mobile phones and 'social media'?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Same as I do now. Mine is switched off most of the time! I carry it when I'm away from home in case of emergencies but it's a good talisman because I've never had to use it (much like most of my insurance policies). :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Stanley wrote: 26 Feb 2024, 03:40 I know it's a stupid old person's question but how did we manage to survive in the days before mobile phones and 'social media'?
Not stupid at all. . .
When I was more active we travelled to almost every town within range, from Ipswich in the East, to Northampton in the West - Brighton in the South, and to Grantham in the North. Just used road signs and a map book for occasional reference. I don't recall ever getting lost.

Satnav can be handy for the last few miles to an address, but by no means fool proof, and it hasn't a clue around South Cambridgeshire. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'll reinforce that one David. I managed to find my way to every corner of the mainland UK using only the free maps the oil companies used to give away and by asking the way when the maps failed.
Here's my favourite directions story.....
A big Farmer at Skipton, Basil Spensley, bought five loads of straw from a farm near Snaith in East Yorkshire. He said there was no rush but Thursday that week would be good. He said that the farm was bad to find but if I asked the bloke outside the chip shop he would show me the way. I thought this was a bit funny but didn't question it. As it happened I couldn't get there that week and it was the following Thursday when I rolled into the village. Sure enough there was a bloke leaning on the cill of the chip shop window. When I pulled up and wound the window down the first thing he said was "What happened, you're a week late!". I was gobsmacked but it turned out he hadn't been waiting for me for a week. He was an ex-farm labourer and had Farmer's Lung, a serious respiratory disease caused by the mould on badly stored hay. He spent most of nearly every day leaning on that window cill because he had to be outside to get his breath. He jumped in the cab and showed me the way. It was a good job I'd found him it was complicated.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Facebook and Instagram gone offline worldwide.
https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/facebook-dow ... ogged-out/
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Yes, it told me that I had timed out when making a post. Asks you to log in now or create a new account. If you do the former it says your password is wrong. Following the forgotten password link it fails to send you the reset code to your registered email. Proper broken or hacked, maybe somebody doesn't like Mark, probably plenty of them out there.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Maybe put a bob in the meter. :extrawink:

As it says in the news link, WhatsApp seems OK.
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Thank heavens its not just me!! :laugh5:
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

This site seems to nave been down last night, but I dont think anyone noticed. Sue asked about changng password - and Wendy advised- so of course I had to have a go. I failed, but during the process deleted my cookies - then couldn't get back into the site. Thought I might have broken it - but the site "down for everyone or just me" said it was down for everyone. That was a relief. :smile:

Back OK next time I tried, and no comments about it.

PS Facebook is back - but my account has been wiped clean. no use to me now. I give up.
PPS Had a prod around and my friends have come back.
Last edited by Tripps on 05 Mar 2024, 17:23, edited 1 time in total.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Is it back? How are we all going to get logged back on?
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I'm back in :smile:
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Me too. Cleaner probably pulled the plug for their vacuum :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Still tells me my password is wrong and wont send the reset code.
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I got the same reset code as earlier when it didn't work.

Return to “Technology & Communication”