Shed Matters 3

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Shed Matters 3

Post by Stanley »

This morning I took all three slugs and reduced them to the diameter of the crank web in the finished shafts. Notice that the castings for the new engine are sat on the surface plate. You'll notice that one of the finished blanks is much shorter than the others. I am going to chop a crankshaft out of that because despite it being so short, I believe I can make it work. If I can't, no sweat I can use one of the longer ones. I finished up by cleaning the chips up off Mrs Harrison and the floor. Now for breakfast.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

This morning is made up of small tasks. I marked all three slugs with the offset centre for the crank pin. 3/4" offset. Then I addressed the matter of my 3 Jaw chuck. It is old and worn and is bell mouthed. I have been considering grinding the jaws but never got round to it. This morning I got out the 8" Cushman chuck that is in the cupboard under the lathe but never gets used as I only have one set of jaws for it. I put a slug in and checked it for accuracy and it's within a thou so I shall use it for eccentric turning. Then I marked each slug with its centre point because that's where I will be milling out the meat of the excess metal before actually turning the slug to finish the crank pin. That's enough for this morning, I have earned my breakfast.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not a single chip cut this morning, it was all about preparation for the next stage, cutting the meat out of the space between the webs with the milling machine and not the lathe with an interrupted cut. The first task was to find a 7/16" cutter that was long enough. I couldn't find the one I have always used before and so had to use another which meant a complete re-sharpen to make sure it will cut cleanly. Next job was a chip chase and clean up. Then remove the vise from the VM mill bed and wipe the surface with a big diamond hone to make sure there are no dings. Next I had to set up the first blank ready for cutting. That included installing the 7/16" cutter and adjusting the height of the head. After setting the cutter in the centre I found the tackle to lock it to the bed and last of all marked the depth of cut on the slug. That all took just over an hour but I am ready to start serious cutting tomorrow. Now for breakfast!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Only one image needed this morning. I spent most of the hour cutting with difficulty and in the end decided to resharpen the cutter including gulleting and backing off. It's cutting much better now and I expect to get on better tomorrow. Not bad progress though, a lot of meat taken out of the slug. Now for breakfast.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Today I continued with cutting the meat out of the first shaft blank. The cutter performed far better and after cutting the blank down to 1/2" I cut out each side so that the result is that all that is left to deal with by eccentric turning is a piece approximately half an inch square. Then I set the next piece up ready for cutting tomorrow. Now for breakfast!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A simple task this morning, spend over an hour patiently cutting the middle out of the crankshaft blank. The cutter broke down during this stint and had to be attended to twice. It will need a complete refurb tomorrow.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I started the morning by doing a complete refurbishment of the long 7/16" cutter and taking a couple of cuts on the stock to finish that cut. Then I remounted it and used a much better, but shorter, 2 flute slot drill to cut the two small cuts of the flanks and as you can see I finished that blank. Then I put the third piece of stock in the mill and started cutting with the short 7/16" slot drill as it is so much better. I shall cut as deep as I can with this shorter cutter tomorrow and then finish the big cut with the longer but less efficient cutter. But now the task is breakfast!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I started the morning by doing a complete refurbishment of the long 7/16" cutter and taking a couple of cuts on the stock to finish that cut. Then I remounted it and used a much better, but shorter, 2 flute slot drill to cut the two small cuts of the flanks and as you can see I finished that blank. Then I put the third piece of stock in the mill and started cutting with the short 7/16" slot drill as it is so much better. I shall cut as deep as I can with this shorter cutter tomorrow and then finish the big cut with the longer but less efficient cutter. But now the task is breakfast!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Only one task. Make the major cut through the centre of the stock. I have had a chip chase and Tomorrow I shall sharpen both cutters and after measuring and marking will do the final two small cuts on either side of the metal left in for the crank pin.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No pics from the shed, they take too long to load. I have done an hour in the shed. First job was to sharpen both 7/16" cutters and then to finish cutting the last piece of stock. I now have three pieces of stock ready for eccentric turning in the lathe. I have put all my tackle away and cleaned up. Tomorrow I shall get set up for turning the crank pins. Now I shall enjoy breakfast!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Three blanks ready for turning. That's a lot of metal chopped out and time saved.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Complete change this morning. I left the shaft blanks on one side and addressed the matter of squaring up the top and bottom (including the holding down bolt lugs) of the base casting as it is too wide to fit in my vise and it would be a good thing to mill it before I replace the vise on the mill. So two pics of the milling and one of me tramming the vise in after replacement. If I put that big piece of ground gauge steel in the vise it gives me a really good reading on the dial indicator. I chased my chips before doing that and have a nice straight edge on the bench before getting set up for eccentric turning tomorrow morning. Now for breakfast!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Only one pic this morning. I spent 45 minutes putting the smaller 4 jaw independent chuck on the lathe and setting up a crankshaft blank parallel and true using the dial indicator. Then I fitted the parting tool with the indexed tip and extended it until it could reach the full depth of the cut without fouling the work. I am ready to start cutting crank pins now but have left the start of that until tomorrow. I'm more interested in my breakfast than starting to cut.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Only one image needed this morning. Here's a lovely sight and the reason why I spent so much time milling the meat out of the blanks. Here are three crankshaft blanks. each of which has a 3/8" crank pin. That's all the eccentric turning done and dusted in an hour and a quarter. I deserve my breakfast!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The first thing I did was make slugs of steel that fitted exactly into the gap between the webs and glued them in place to take the pressure when the live centre was supporting the blank during the turning of the two legs of the shaft from solid. Then I measured carefully and decided on my dimensions. Next I fitted the first blank in the 4 jaw independent chuck and adjusted it for centre with the dial indicator. These jaws aren't bell mouthed and I will be glad of that later. Next I marked the thickness of the webs, fitted a tipped tool and started turning. By that time it was breakfast time!
But you'll be wondering about that last image. My daughter Margaret is visiting in June and I want to send my great grandson Alex a present. So I have got two kits for Stuart wobblers, they make a nice little running engine. I shall make them when I have finished these three crankshafts.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

After another period spent refining the set up I started finish turning the first crankshaft. As you can see I finished one leg and got set up to cut the second.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Only one image needed. This morning I finished the initial turning of the first crankshaft and cleaned the lathe up ready for setting up the next shaft tomorrow. All the chips are out in the bin and I have swept the floor.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The task this morning was easy. I cleaned up yesterday and left Mrs Harrison sat there waiting for the next crankshaft blank. I went out there this morning and wasted the best part of half an hour by setting up the stock for eccentric turning! That's right, I'm losing my marbles. I took a deep breath, forgave my self and set the blank up for turning the shaft. The last pic is of the job ready to start. I've measured for the web and taken one cut. Tomorrow I can go out and start cutting right away. Old age isn't for cissies!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Straight into muck shifting this morning and a straight half hour of heavy turning (for a small lathe....) Then finish and polish this leg, clear the chips up and dial the second half in with the indicator. I am ready to start again tomorrow and today, to have breakfast!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Straight into turning and into the collar. The crankshaft is dimensionally accurate, like the first one, it still needs some polishing but that can come later. I have cleaned Mrs Harrison and dialled the third and last piece of stock in. I am ready to start turning again tomorrow. Now the job is breakfast!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Crafts”