Back Under Canvas

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Back Under Canvas

Post by PanBiker » 15 Aug 2019, 16:21

Realised that we didn't have sub-forums for Camping or Caravanning so I have created a couple of new ones.

I will kick off with this topic of returning to camping after a few years break.

We are currently digging out all our remaining camping kit to see what we have and what we are still short of. We have two tents so that's OK. We'll take the 3 person tent that we got for touring on the motorbike last time round. It's a decent small tent which means that we don't take much room up and the campsite pitches are cheaper as a result.

It's a good while since I pitched it last time and for the life in me I couldn't remember if it pitches inner or outer first. I made a bit of space in the front room and got it all out to check that it had all found it's way back into the bag. When we used it on the bike I had to split the various components, inner, outer, poles, pegs and porch groundsheet into their individual bits so that I could distribute it around the luggage system on the bike. Gave a good check over as well while it was out, looks like new and it jogged my memory when I got the 10 section x 3 fibreglass poles out, they are colour coded and I found the same on the outer flysheet and quick clip fasteners on the inside to mate with the same on the inner tent. So that settles it, it's outer first. From memory it's about a 10 minute job from start to finish. Porch groundsheet goes in last. I measured the footprint up at the same time as campsites request this so that they can allocate a correctly sized pitch to maintain boundary distances between pitches for fire regulations. Our footprint is around 10 - 12 sq m.

Pleased also that I have found my 1944 US Army mess tin. It's a two part set, oval pan and the lid turned over is a two section segregated plate. The folding hinged handle clips the lid to the base. It was made by the EA Co and is pressed stainless steel. It has seen lots of action in the 85 years since it was manufactured and makes a good breakfast fry up.

We have a multi-LED lantern for the tent but I needed some spare batteries for it. AA's so no problem. I have a large spotlight type torch that runs on 4 x D type batteries but when I looked at the price of these one way trips I changed my mid about reviving this bit of kit in favour of spending the fiver on a USB rechargeable Lithium battery hand torch from Aldi. I can recharge this along with any other USB devices from the car so that was a bit of a no brainer.

I think I mentioned in another thread that we need a small water carrier and if we get back into camping regularly we will invest in a new non stick cooking compendium. We can manage with what we have in the short term and if my son in law has taken his gas barbie we will be right. Self sufficient if he hasn't. Found out they are also pitched away from the family field so we will be reasonably local.
Ian

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Back Under Canvas

Post by Stanley » 16 Aug 2019, 02:01

Can't think why but the Rubáiyát came to mind,
A BOOK of Verses underneath the Bough,
A Jug of Wine, a Loaf of Bread—and Thou
Beside me singing in the Wilderness—
O, Wilderness were Paradise enow!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker » 16 Aug 2019, 09:25

The plot thickens, inspecting and thinking more about the EasyCamp tent mentioned above. I was was struggling to see how I managed to fit it on the bike. I was convinced that was the tent we toured with in France but it seems I was wrong. Sally was rummaging in the cupboard up in the loft that we stored the camping gear in. She found our camp kettle and also came down with our other tent.

This one is actually the one that we got specifically to fit on the bike and is a better quality tent than the other. It's a Lichfield 150 and I remember we got it off one of Sally's installation team mates when she worked at LDJ Design and Display. Steph was one of the rope guys on the installations in the shopping centres and he had his own business for climbing and outdoor gear over Leeds way. He supplied it at trade price for us and it came in at about £100 under the list price. This one is a straight two person tent but still has a small porch for storage. We dug out our photo albums and found a few images showing it up near St Quentin near the Belgian border when we visited Great Uncle Tom's grave and pitched at Châteaux de Martragny near Bayeux where we stayed on the way back after visiting my brother for a few days down near Limoges. Looks like this one also pitches outer first. Ideally I could do with a bit of a dry spell to run them both up to the park and refresh my memory on them both. Would only take an hour and would be very useful to check them out. Fat chance at the moment, alternatively we have enough room in the car to take them both up to Robin Hoods Bay which will be the fall back plan.

Getting back to a bit of time under canvass will be another milestone for me. We had intended doing this at this time last year but medical events dictated otherwise.
Ian

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 17 Aug 2019, 03:38

I suspect you will enjoy it. You're certainly putting in the effort of preparation! We should have some dry days according to the forecast so a trip to the park will happen I reckon....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker » 17 Aug 2019, 10:37

I think we are both going daft! Remember how I said that I thought the EasyCamp tent was the one we took to France but changed my mind when Sally turned up the Lichfield one and took it as stated that this was the better tent we got from Steph. Pictures to prove it as well. Here is Sally at Châteaux de Martragny in Normandy.

The image suffers a bit from the Hobbit effect with Sally in the doorway the tent hardly looks big enough for one let alone 3. Here is another photo with our motorbike in the background which gives a bit better indication of the size, the bike was 2m long. The tent is actually 3.5m long by 3m wide.

Clearly in both of these photo's and indeed all of the photos that we have of this tent it is blue. We both looked at the photos and looked at the Lichfield, never noticing that it was a green tent! Yesterday I even went to the bother of putting up the Lichfield inner tent in my front room. It just about fit and when I had done it the penny finally dropped. I had just pitched the inner tent of the LIchfield first, the green outer tent was staring me in the face without a porch, inner tent is only two man, door is a different colour Doh!

Lichfield was the tent we got for Clitheroe Folk Festival. EasyCamp 300 is clearly what we toured on the bike. It all came flooding back. :smile: Instead of rolling the outer and inner tents I folded them into the bottom of the 50L top box with the pegs and guys, single burner stove and sundry cooking bits went in there as well. Fibreglass polls were bundled and bagged and I fastened them between the back of Sally's pillion seat and the top box securing them with a couple of short bungees to the rear carrier frame.

As to the quality, I only had the EasyCamp out for a cursory check that it was all complete. Comparing the two tents side by side it's the EasyCamp that is clearly the better tent despite being convinced that it was the other one. Easycamp clearly pitches outer first as all the poles are through the flysheet, the inner has quick snap plastic male/female connectors to connect it within the outer tent. This pitching sequence is preferred as If you are pitching in the rain, the outer waterproof flysheet goes up first ensuring that the inner tent and porch groundsheet can be pitched in the dry.
Ian

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 18 Aug 2019, 03:00

I'm glad you sorted that one out!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker » 19 Aug 2019, 20:58

I think we have all our kit sorted now for the camping trip. Sally has made new carry bags for our folding chairs and she has also turned out one of the three tiers of our old camp kitchen which we kept the base sections of. It has folding legs so packs flat and will be ideal as a base for our new two burner stove just to keep it off the ground. New bag for that as well. I got some fluorescent pegs for the outer guys on the tent and a new weighted rubber mallet, (lost our previous one), both from the special buys at Aldi.

Carla and family are already pitched on site and we are told that there will be a Jacobs join barbecue courtesy of friends Julia and Pat who are also part of the Silsden contingency camping group. :biggrin2:
Ian

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 20 Aug 2019, 02:46

All you need now is some fine weather and there is a glimmer of hope in the forecast.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker » 21 Aug 2019, 08:09

Been fine all week on the East coast and it's set to improve.Ready for the off, over the hills and far away... :smile:
Ian

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke » 21 Aug 2019, 09:16

PanBiker wrote:
21 Aug 2019, 08:09
Been fine all week on the East coast and it's set to improve.Ready for the off, over the hills and far away... :smile:
Enjoy yourselves, Ian.

Last time I was under canvas was around 1993, alongside the River Wharfe at Grassington with my 15 years old son. All I can say about that experience, today's tip, is never share a 2 man tent with a vegetarian, I ended up sleeping with my head outside the door flap.

Return to “Camping”