Back Under Canvas

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: Back Under Canvas

Post by PanBiker » 30 Jun 2020, 20:43

Yes quite probably but it's irrelevant. For the third time, I can't afford one let alone pay to park it somewhere.
Ian

Tripps

Post by Tripps » 30 Jun 2020, 20:54

I thought about one of these when the lads were small, but wondered how you'd get off the camp site to see the area, or go down the pub when it was all connected up with awnings etc. I think I made the right choice. :smile:
Born to be mild. . .

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker » 30 Jun 2020, 20:57

Pushbikes or a motorbike, we already have the bikes but if I could afford one I would also run to a motorbike to shove on the back. :smile:
Ian

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn » 01 Jul 2020, 03:47

My son and his girlfriend bought a tent and all the gear early last year. The inside of the tent had pockets in it, into which he put his sunglasses for safe keeping. Packed the tent up and came home, realising his very expensive sunglasses were still inside the pocket inside the tent!
They remain there to this day. He bought a new pair of sunglasses because he couldn't be bothered going to all the trouble of retrieving them.
They haven't been camping since!

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker » 01 Jul 2020, 08:01

Ha, novice error! He will probably hang on to the gear for bit and then flog it off at a bargain rate. This is where campers like me benefit. :extrawink: I wonder if the bloke who was selling a never used tent I was prepared to buy but insisted on collection rather than send it by carrier for £9.95 still has it? Nowt as stupid as folk! The really stupid thing was that I offered to pay and organise the carrier pickup, all he had to do was pack it and put a label on it.

One good thing for your son Maz. If he ever goes camping again he will have a spare pair of shades. :biggrin2:
Ian

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn » 01 Jul 2020, 08:17

This tent of my son’s already has a history, Panbiker. They went “halves” in the purchase and things to go into the tent. After their holiday, they broke up ( probably for the fifth or sixth time back then...though they have never lived together and have broken up and got back together a few times since then). Anyway, she wanted “her half”. So it was paid out. But they are still together, 18 months on.
I don’t dare mention the tent nowadays ! :laugh5:
The photo I have of them comes in and out of a drawer on a regular basis !

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker » 01 Jul 2020, 08:31

Marilyn wrote:
01 Jul 2020, 08:17
I don’t dare mention the tent nowadays !
I'm not surprised. One thing about camping, you generally need a good relationship going on, nowhere to hide! :smile:
Ian

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn » 01 Jul 2020, 09:10

It is generally the same with solid sides, Panbiker. ( I cook and serve....and he sits and enjoys!)
My relief comes from carefully pre-preparing favourite meals that can simply be reheated and enjoyed, unless it is a BBQ and he will cook. I remember when we were in snow ( freezing it was) and I did a Macaroni Cheese ( with pre-cooked meatballs thrown through). Saved our life that night...we did enjoy it! We ate, tucked up in bed, with a glass of wine. ( one needs to appreciate their spouse in hats and socks in bed). God, it was cold...
This was a camp site where we basically parked amidst frozen puddles. There were toilets, but the toilets had no doors and were open to the elements. I didn’t bother having a shower, as facilities were the same, no doors. Strange locals about...all looked like Grizzly Adams or worse ( eyes that didn’t look in the same direction, and they muttered to themselves)
I don’t want to go back there in this lifetime...
A strange memory, but it will stay in the past.
We hadn’t planned our stay there. We were travelling through the mountains when the weather closed in, and our windscreen “de-mister” fan blew a fuse. It became impossible to travel, yet we would have been down through the mountains in about 4 to 5 hours if we could have kept going.

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker » 01 Jul 2020, 13:10

Snowman and Dragon Motorbike Rally's when we were courting were good ones. Two wheels so always open to the elements. Snowman was always in winter and one year we had to wait until the Sunday afternoon to break camp, our tent was frozen to the ground it was that cold. Two person small ridge tent that would fit on the carrier on the motorbike with two, zip together sleeping bags. Happy Days. :smile:
Ian

Return to “Camping”