Seen in the News

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Seen in the News

Post by Tizer »

All the news about `Israel’s allegations against UN staffers in Gaza' is shocking not so much because of a few UNRWA people being implicated but because major nations around the world have jumped to support Israel before considering what the real situation is. For a start, all we have is Israel's `allegations' and we know they get the UN out of Gaza asap. Where is the evidence? I know UNRWA has sacked several employees in the wake of the allegations but they still have to do their own investigation to see if Israel is correct. UNRWA has 13,000 employees in Gaza so is it surprising even if several were involved in the massacre? Every organisation has a few bad apples. Yet, without seeing evidence major donor nations around the world have ceased their donations and are in that way helping Israel eliminate Palestinians. Why are we now so sensitive about Israel when it's bombing Gazans out of existence?
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS BBC report on the incident.
Several countries including the UK have paused funding for the UN agency for Palestinian refugees, UNRWA. It comes after the agency announced the sacking of several of its staff over allegations they were involved in the 7 October Hamas attacks. The UK government said it was "appalled" by Israel's allegations. The US, Australia, Italy, Canada, Finland, the Netherlands, Switzerland and Germany have also suspended additional funding to the UN agency. Created in 1949, the United Nations Relief and Works Agency, UNRWA, is the biggest UN agency operating in Gaza.
I totally agree with you Peter. Cutting off support for UNRWA does nothing to rectify whatever faults there are but is disastrous for those in Gaza who rely totally on help from the agency to keep them alive.
Instead of arguing about political niceties we should be focussing on what is actually happening to innocent people in Gaza, both Jewish and Palestinian. It is a tragedy.
As for being sensitive about Israel when they are bombing Gaza back into the Stone Age, I agree, it's a travesty of justice.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I'm increasingly convinced that the world is heading into a future where authoritarian leadership will be the norm. We've tried democracy but it doesn't seem to cope with the basic human instincts. Perhaps it's just evolution at work. Desmond Morris said we are neonate apes and David Attenborough has shown chimps ganging up and tearing apart their fellow chimps. People worldwide increasingly show libertarian and populist behaviour and beliefs and that opens the way for authoritarian leaders who ignore the law. If Trump wins the next US election the dominoes will begin to fall over. Even if he loses it will leave America in a dangerous state.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I tend to agree with you Peter but at the same time I have this ridiculous belief that if we keep the faith and do the right thing everything will be all right.
One small news Item that cheered me was an account heard on R4 of street demonstrations against far right political parties all over Germany at the weekend. More power to their elbow!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

It's late - I should be in bed, and soon will be, but I just had this fed to me. . . .

Magical Ice and Fire

Looks a lot of fun - good pictures, (click on the first one) - clever carving and a good crowd - but a Wizard in shorts in January? I'm not sure about that. :laugh5:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I was accosted by Wizard Moody (David Whipp) David and it gave me a shock.
I agree about the shorts, the man who installed my TV was in large black shorts. I told him to get proper trousers but he said he liked the freedom. I have never felt imprisoned by my trousers!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Tripps wrote: 01 Feb 2024, 00:01 It's late - I should be in bed, and soon will be, but I just had this fed to me. . . .

Magical Ice and Fire

Looks a lot of fun - good pictures, (click on the first one) - clever carving and a good crowd - but a Wizard in shorts in January? I'm not sure about that. :laugh5:
Sally and other local seamstresses sewed hundreds of robes and scarves for the event.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The main thing about the Ice and Fire event as far as I am concerned is that, as Ian demonstrates, it was a community inspired and executed event. Far to little of that in the modern world and wherever we come across it it should be supported.
THIS is the news that has grabbed me.
The suspect in an alkali attack in south London was convicted of a sex offence in 2018 and was later granted asylum. Police are looking for Abdul Shakoor Ezedi, 35, who was last seen at a Tesco shop in north London on Wednesday evening.
If you Google 'acid attack' you will find this.... The UK now has the highest number of recorded attacks in the world, with a 69% rise in the number of attacks in 2022.
It is such a horrible, cowardly way of attacking someone and it is a global problem.
What sort of a world do we live in? (Yes, I know.... I'm showing my age. Sorry!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

The A59 at Kex Gill is to close again until further notice after ‘further movement’ was discovered on the landslip-prone route.

Published 2nd Feb 2024, 16:07 GMT

The section of the key route between Skipton, Harrogate and York only re-opened in mid-November after a five-week closure for repair work.
It has suffered from numerous landslips over the years and North Yorkshire Council are proceeding with plans for a realignment scheme.

The council said: “The A59 at Kex Gill, between Skipton and Blubberhouses near Harrogate, will close at 6.30pm tonight (Friday, February 2) to ensure the safety of all road users.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good job that isn't on Sue's route to Christie's Kev! The road over Mam Tor in Derbyshire used to be like Kex Gill. It was nicknamed 'The Shivering Mountain', eventually that too had to be abandoned.
The main news this morning must be the US bombing of Iran and Syria. I have no comment to make as I wait for more news but all I will say is that I find it very depressing. The situation in the Middle East can only be described as war.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

As Tripps said a few weeks ago `No-one seems to have noticed that World War 3 has already begun'. :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

My feelings exactly Peter. I heard the US attacks on Iran and Syria yesterday described as a slap on the wrist. If the same 'slap on the wrist' had been administered to mainland USA we would be well into global conflict this morning!
These senior officers rattling their sabres frighten me to death. I remember what World War was like!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've just heard a very brief report on R4 that the Queen Elizabeth has had to pull out of a NATO exercise because of a problem with her propeller shaft. We appear to have a chocolate teapot.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

THIS caught my attention.
A woman killed in an attack by dogs was visiting her grandson for the weekend, her family have said. Esther Martin, 68, died at the scene of the attack in Jaywick, near Clacton-on-Sea, Essex, on Saturday afternoon. A 39-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of dangerous dog offences and the animals have been destroyed. Ms Martin's daughter told the BBC the animals were banned XL bully dogs but police said they were waiting for the breed to be confirmed by experts.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Starmer and the Labour Party have shot themselves in the foot by going back on their promises for `green' funding to fight climate change. They'll lose the young voters by doing that. As you know I don't support any political party other than giving my vote to the one I judge best when I enter the voting booth at the General Election. The Tories have wrecked Britain and I was expecting to give the vote to Labour to shove them out. Now I don't want to vote for Labour either. And the LibDems don't stand a chance - even with my vote! :extrawink: I'm beginning to see how a man like Trump can win the US Presidential Election. :sad:
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Tizer wrote: 08 Feb 2024, 10:12 The Tories have wrecked Britain and I was expecting to give the vote to Labour to shove them out. Now I don't want to vote for Labour either. And the LibDems don't stand a chance -
The Lib Dems have every chance here, but looking at the performance of their leader rules them out nationally for me. A dignified "none of the above" is favourite at the moment. but six months is a long time in politics. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I agree with you Peter and whilst I shall vote Labour it is simply local loyalty and the need to get rid of Moon Face. Many more are in the same predicament and our only hope is that there is some sort of earthquake before the election and we find ourselves with a different choice. Starmer is not looking anything like leadership material.
So, David is right. It is a long time until the election and my fantasy is that Starmer falls under a bus and the Party decides to go for a woman Leader!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

This was the big news in the US last night...
`'My memory is fine' - Biden hits back at special counsel' BBC
...The inquiry found Mr Biden "wilfully retained and disclosed" classified files, but decided not to charge him. Department of Justice Special Counsel Robert Hur determined Mr Biden had improperly kept classified documents related to military and foreign policy in Afghanistan after serving as vice-president. The scathing 345-page report, released earlier in the day, said the president's memory had "significant limitations". Even as Mr Biden sought to rebut reporters' questions about his age and mental acuity, he inadvertently referred to Egyptian leader Abdul Fattah al-Sisi as the "president of Mexico"....

A special episode of Americast was put together last night to cover the topic with Sarah Baxter, Director of the Marie Colvin Center for International Reporting and a former BBC US correspondent.: Americast It also covers the Tucker Carlson / Vladimir Putin interview.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

David had sensible things to say about the Biden report in the politics thread Peter. I agree with him, the US seems to have gone mad. The age of both the main contenders is one instance of this but also the fact that under their Constitution not only can an indicted person run for President but if found guilty and Gaoled can still be President in his cell. This is plainly ridiculous.
We have a broken political system here but it's not yet as bad as that!
What is even more reprehensible for me is the fact that the Special Counsel made the statements that triggered this latest row in an official report. Surely clear evidence of partiality. The furore should be about that failure of duty and not Biden.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS BBC report for more shocking facts about the Horizon scandal.
Fujitsu UK paid its top executives more than £26m in the 25 years since the controversial Horizon contract with the Post Office started. It also paid more than £11m to former directors for loss of office during that time, BBC analysis of accounts show. While Duncan Tait was UK boss, the highest-paid director earned £2.5m. Fujitsu has apologised to sub-postmasters, and said it will contribute to compensation.
We get so used to seeing compensation packages like these that they become commonplace but this is a mistake. We should see them for what they are, a legalised form of smash and grab. Nobody is worth this much money.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Remember that lady interviewed in the street who said `Oh no, not another one!!'....
`HMS Prince of Wales fails to depart for Nato exercises' BBC
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I saw a report of this a few days ago and commented that we appeared to have a chocolate Aircraft Carrier!
I wonder if Mr Shapps realises he is responsible for fixing it.....
(I note the fact that this fault is in the same shaft that failed last time is said to be 'not related'. It's in the same shaft so it has to be related DUMMY!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote: 12 Feb 2024, 02:58 I saw a report of this a few days ago and commented that we appeared to have a chocolate Aircraft Carrier!
That was the QE, this latest report is the PW - so we have no functioning carriers at the moment. The QE was coming home due to problems and the PW was meant to replace her. Slightly embarrassing! Even Putin might crack a smile!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Dohhhh! Thanks for putting me right Peter.
I am reminded of Admiral Jellicoe's comment at the Battle of Jutland in WW1, noting the number of his fleet being sunk by the Germans he said "There seems to be something wrong with our ships today!"
Despite what the Admiralty says.... Shaft problems with both carriers suggests a design fault.
No wonder our allies question our ability to function as any sort of credible military power.
Meanwhile I see that Minister of Defence Grant Shapps makes his contribution to the efficiency of our armed forces by telling the Army they are encouraging a 'woke' culture that is making our forces inefficient.
Hands up anyone with confidence in this jerk.......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS BBC report just in....
One person has died and 21 people were wounded in a shooting in Missouri at the end of the Kansas City Chiefs' Super Bowl victory parade. Officials said they treated eight victims who were in immediately life-threatening condition and seven others who had suffered injuries that could prove life-threatening. Nine children were among the wounded - all are expected to recover. Police said they have arrested three suspects in connection to the shooting. The shots were fired west of Union Station, the train station in downtown Kansas City, which was where the parade ended at around 14:00 local time (20:00 GMT) and thousands of fans had gathered to watch the festivities.
Am I being simplistic or is this a direct consequence of the American 'Right to bear arms' enshrined in their Constitution. Why do they pay this price for 'a freedom'?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”