Vehicle Tax and MOT

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Vehicle Tax and MOT

Post by PanBiker » 05 May 2020, 11:59

I received a reminder for my car tax today which expires at the end of this month. We bought the car at the end of this month last year so the MOT is due by the 29th of May. Under the current Covid19 regulations my MOT will be automatically extended by 6 months to the 29th November. The rules say I cannot renew my tax until the MOT extension has been applied for vehicles due in May so I will have to wait until later in the month. The onus is on the registered keeper to keep the vehicle roadworthy during the extension period and you have to obtain a new MOT before the extension date runs out. DVLA do not extend the MOT's until about three days before their original due date so I will have to check nearer the end of the month and then renew the tax, I always do it online so its no great shakes. There is an email address to contact DVLA if they don't apply the extension in a timely manner.
Ian

plaques
Donor

Re: Vehicle Tax and MOT

Post by plaques » 05 May 2020, 17:54

My vehicle tax was at the end of April but the MOT to the old rules runs out at the end of May (this month). Two weeks before the tax end date I went online (internet) but the system kept rejecting my Santander cards. Not wanting to go up to the Santander branch I rang through to DVLA. Totally automated, press button 1,2,3 etc. Card number etc. Your vehicle it taxed. Why the internet rejected the card but their system accepted it I don't know. From my experience I would think you could tax your car at any time but have to wait for conformation about the MOT extension. I'll be going to take mine in tomorrow for a service and talk about the pro's and con's of delaying the MOT. I don't like the idea of having to prove the vehicle was roadworthy if an accident should happen especially if there was a big personal claim against me. I'm gradually moving towards having a second MOT later in the year just to shift the date and blow the expense.

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker » 26 May 2020, 15:26

My vehicle duty expires at the end of this month, the MOT on the 28th. I got reminder from the DVLA that the MOT date would be extended and that I could not tax the vehicle until the extension has been applied. I checked today and that is indeed the case so I renewed the duty online this afternoon, quite painless, (apart from the payment). :smile: My MOT due date has been extended to 28th November but I will get it done before that. Glad of the slight tweak as it needs some new tyres, they are borderline. I'll get the tyres done next month so we can spread the monthly expense a bit before I book an MOT.
Ian

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 27 May 2020, 03:19

So glad none of this applies to me. There are advantages in getting old!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!

Return to “DVLA”