Cooking with an Air Fryer

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: Cooking with an Air Fryer

Post by PanBiker »

Depends if you want to eat the same thing every day or have a change. We batch cook also and it's nice to have the option of a few different more or less ready meals in the freezer. Thawing costs nowt if done overnight. In my freezer I currently have a choice of batch cooked portions of chicken soup, Chicken and pasta, Chicken fajita with peppers etc, slow cooked beef and onions and the same for lamb, we also have a batch of pizza dough and some shortcrust pastry. Today's pre prepared lunch will be chicken soup.

Regarding keeping stuff warm. If you organise yourself properly you can make it all come together at the same time. The timers on the air fryers allow you to do this automatically. You can synchronise cook between the baskets in dual models and also delay start any of the functions. It's not rocket science to do your chicken in the air fryer and put the sweetcorn on the hob a few minutes before the chicken goes ping. I can even manage the kettle as well for a brew at the same time. Some folk eh! :extrawink:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I use the microwave a lot for veg.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Indeed, the point is knowing how to use your choice of appliances for the best advantage. Apparently you can bake bread in an Air Fryer, you can also do in a bread maker which I do use on occasion. I do prefer the oven though and I know my 8 Individual small loaf tray wont fit in the latest appliance. :laugh5: :extrawink:
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Last week sometime I had quite search on to find some silicone liners for the Air Fryer bins. You can find thousands for the most common model of the Ninja Fryer but they are a bit small for ours which have 4 ltr bins. I finally found some, again for a Ninja machine but more or less the same size as ours so I ordered a pair. I got a projected delivery date of 23rd December but they were delivered today. :smile: They came with the additional silicone finger guards for handling in the hot bins and a cleaning sponge, neither of these latter two items were in the description of the product I ordered so a small bonus!

I noticed in all the photo's of all the different sizes of liners that none of them were the full depth of the bins, same with these shown in situ below.

The liners have ridges in the bottom which aid in drainage of items that require a small amount of oil. They can be washed by hand or in the dishwasher and are safe for use in the oven, microwave, fridge or freezer.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 15 Dec 2022, 16:21 Last week sometime I had quite search on to find some silicone liners for the Air Fryer bins. You can find thousands for the most common model of the Ninja Fryer but they are a bit small for ours which have 4 ltr bins. I finally found some, again for a Ninja machine but more or less the same size as ours so I ordered a pair. I got a projected delivery date of 23rd December but they were delivered today. :smile: They came with the additional silicone finger guards for handling in the hot bins and a cleaning sponge, neither of these latter two items were in the description of the product I ordered so a small bonus!

I noticed in all the photo's of all the different sizes of liners that none of them were the full depth of the bins, same with these shown in situ below.

The liners have ridges in the bottom which aid in drainage of items that require a small amount of oil. They can be washed by hand or in the dishwasher and are safe for use in the oven, microwave, fridge or freezer.
How are the silicone liners going Ian?
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Great Kev. I found out that non are manufactured full height of the bins so that you can't overfill. Amazing how they hold the heat as well, you certainly need oven gloves or the small silicone finger guards they supplied.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I've run it through a test cycle so far. It seems straightforward enough.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I assume your Christmas list was filled then Kev? What make / model did you get?
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 26 Dec 2022, 20:33 I assume your Christmas list was filled then Kev? What make / model did you get?
It was indeed Ian, it's an Instant Vortex 4-in-1, 2-QT Mini Air Fryer Oven Combo. Not a brand I've heard of, seems to be popular in the US. It's a UK spec with the correct plug on it and the basket has a 2 litre capacity. The instruction booklet has a link to a recipe app, I will have to download it and see what offerings it provides.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Amazon has dozens of cookbooks for air fryers. Relatively cheap as well as you can get them as downloads, paperback and hardback versions. Useful as they have the cooking temps and times for just about everything you can think of to shove in one in addition to loads of recipes and tips. :smile: Tip from me, make sure you get the UK versions or you will have all the American measures to deal with. Lots online of course but it's handy to have an easy reference available. I think it will probably be as useful as the BeRo book. :extrawink:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

https://www.robertdyas.co.uk/instant-po ... ck#reviews
It seems to be popular and is listed in a few of 'best buys' lists. If it proves successful I will, no doubt, end up buying a bigger one.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Ha, that's where I bought ours from. Went for dual basket as Sally is predominantly veggie and I am carnivore. Works well as we can both cook different meals and have them finish at the same time.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Baked potato today, 8 minutes in the microwave, 10 minutes in the air fryer on 'bake' setting. Nice crispy skin, light and fluffy inside. I'll be a bit more ambitious next time, skin on chicken thighs sound good.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

6 pork chipolatas, 13 minutes at 190. It takes longer than that for the big oven to warm up :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

But less time to fry them in my wok. :smile:

I'm still deciding. I'll ask again in a few months time who is till using theirs regularly, and what for. I remember when microwave ovens first appeared - it was a while before I realised they were no good for cooking stuff, but superb for a quick re-heating - and making custard !

Meanwhile my Halogen Oven is doing a similar job and will suffice. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I'm going to have a go at potato peeling crisps instead of shoving them in the recycling. Heather (Calluna as was on the site) says they are very good. I will report back when I have tried them.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Most of the vitamins and trace elements are in potato skin.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Here we go, skins from a couple of washed whites whacked in the air oven. I did these with a bit of oil, salt and black pepper. There are very nice, will try chilli powder or flakes next time. :smile:

Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I will be doing some mini potatoes, in the air fryer, at some point this week with a little oil, rosemary, sea salt and smoked paprika. I will report back.
I have bought some skin on chicken thighs too, they're for another day.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Mention of 'skin on' chicken thighs reminds me of the day I learned a fundamental truth about goose and to a certain extent, other fowl as well. (Particularly duck)
In the bad old days when we were very poor I had a goose of great age and instead of trying to pluck it I skinned it. Big mistake, all the taste is in the skin, take that off and you are left with horrible tasteless meat. In the end even though we were poor, it got binned.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

The mini potatoes went in the big oven as I was cooking a pork joint and some stuffing.
Did some streaky bacon today, 6 minutes at 200C, went very well in a wrap with some brie.

It's the skin on chicken thighs for tea today, I have some chestnut mushrooms and some basmati rice to go with them.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

The chicken thighs were very good. Lightly oiled, rolled in paprika, mixed herbs and a generic chicken seasoning. Skin down at 180C for 10 minutes, flipped them over and another 15 mins to finish them off. There's room for 4 thighs in the tray, just enough for the two of us with mushrooms (4mins in the microwave) and some basmati rice (2 mins in the microwave).
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Did some more skin on thighs today. Light oiled, rolled in salt, pepper and madras curry powder. Cooked them at 190C this time with the same timing, served with a creamy chick pea curry and some curried veg (leftovers from the freezer) 'dinged' in the microwave. Very tasty.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Creamy smoked haddock and cauliflower pie cooked in the air fryer. Very tasty served with steamed green beans and tenderstem broccoli.
PXL_20230107_195147914.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

That sounds good :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹

Return to “Cooking”