WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by PanBiker »

Yes been chasing Stanley. CPU was up at 100%
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's just come back on Ian in the last hour while I was in the shed. I've posted this and Mystery Objects but I shan't try for anything else as it is still very slow.
Thanks for all I know you are doing! :good:
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 29 Mar 2024, 06:58 It's just come back on Ian in the last hour while I was in the shed. I've posted this and Mystery Objects but I shan't try for anything else as it is still very slow.
Thanks for all I know you are doing! :good:
Was it impacted again overnight?
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Yes it was Kev, painfully slow when i came on soon after 6am but not showing the error code.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Off line all the time I needed it Kev, that's from 02:30 until after 06:00 while I was in the shed. It was trying to show the site, ie. not throwing up error codes but never managing it.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I have expanded in the other thread but your experiences with the site are probably due to being active through the night during maintenance at the hosts. I think the problem was probably with a DNS server at IONOS.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

All I know is I had no site!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We seem to have a site this morning which is a blessing.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I tried copying Bob's mail straight into the Office Writer and from there copied it into Gedit.
It opened perfectly after washing bob's text in the Writer and from there was easy to post in the topic.
I think that proves that the fault is in Bob's WP programme.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 30 Mar 2024, 14:00 I tried copying Bob's mail straight into the Office Writer and from there copied it into Gedit.
It opened perfectly after washing bob's text in the Writer and from there was easy to post in the topic.
I think that proves that the fault is in Bob's WP programme.
A setting rather than a fault I would suspect.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'll let him know Kev.
What got my attention this morning was the clocks changing just as I was getting up suddenly 02:02 became 03:05 while I was on my way to the bathroom. I hadn't realised it was time to change to BST!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

My sister-in-law sent me this pic . I don't know where she got it from but it's interesting!

Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That looks like orange Peel!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

How easy it was to adjust the clock on my car, touch the clock display on the 'touchscreen', this opens an adjustment screen, touch the displayed '+' button and it's done. Touch the 'home' button at the bottom of the display to finish. Must be the easiest clock adjustment I've ever had :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That sounds sensible Kev. Some of them are diabolical, The two worst ones here are the clock on the electric oven and the CH programmer. I never use the latter to control the CH so for 25 years have not touched it.
The easiest one is the Vienna regulator in the front room, just move the hour hand. And no, if you're thinking about the chime, I don't have to adjust for that as it chimes what it wants to on each hour. I can live with that!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The fact that I have a completely free day. I don't have to do anything! Nice, I think a dad nap may be on the cards at dinnertime.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Of course it's got to be the killing of the aid workers in Gaza by the IDF drone even though they were clearly marked as aid and had notified their movements to the Israelis. The consequence is that there has been an almost total shut-down of aid work in the Strip Just when it is needed most.
I don't understand how Israel is being allowed to get away with its actions in Gaza. Indeed we are providing the weapons that are helping them cause the deaths, disease and famine. And if I complain I am being anti-Semitic!
Look at what is happening in the North of Israel with Lebanon and by extension with Hezbollah. 'Powder keg' seems to be an apt description of the situation.
That's what has grabbed my attention....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote: 04 Apr 2024, 02:38 I don't understand how Israel is being allowed to get away with its actions in Gaza. Indeed we are providing the weapons that are helping them cause the deaths, disease and famine.
Our government can hide behind the fact that we provide only 0.04% of the military aid going to Israel (almost all of it comes from the USA). I think our government's moral support is more dangerous and should have been withheld.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It has been pointed out that our purchases from the Israeli Defence Industry are perhaps more important in financing their aggression.
I agree with you about the moral support.
Did you see THIS report yesterday?
Alan Duncan faces expulsion from Tory party for attacking ‘pro Israel extremist’ Conservatives. Tories announce investigation into Sir Alan Duncan 24 hours after he spoke out on Gaza in the Independent - after Independent highlighted concerns over influence of Conservative friends of Israel group.
Former foreign minister Sir Alan Duncan is being investigated by Tory chiefs after he said pro-Israel “extremists” in the party should be kicked out because they refused to support international law. Sir Alan said ex-cabinet minister Eric Pickles and Tory peer Stuart Polak, both members of the powerful Conservative Friends of Israel (CFI) organisation, should both be thrown out of the party. The CFI was being used to ‘exercise the interests of another country’ by lobbying for Israel, he said.

I heard what he said on LBC and thought it was a pretty reasonable point of view. Basically he was saying that Israel has not been a friend of the UK for decades and he condemns what they are doing in Gaza in the strongest possible terms.
Our local news is that the large retail premises left empty by the removal of our local gym to another venue in the town has allowed a firm call Hickey Bars Ltd to step in and they are going to open a bar with a music license on our main shopping street leading to Town Square. That will make five bars in the centre of town The 'night time economy' appears to be healthy!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 05 Apr 2024, 02:32 Our local news is that the large retail premises left empty by the removal of our local gym to another venue in the town has allowed a firm call Hickey Bars Ltd to step in and they are going to open a bar with a music license on our main shopping street leading to Town Square. That will make five bars in the centre of town The 'night time economy' appears to be healthy!
Not the only local gym, we have at least four in the town. Five small bars in the town centre and music, not much different to when we had a full set of pubs in the town but the modern equivalent is on a much smaller scale.

Fosters Arms, Railway Inn, Commercial Inn, Seven Stars, Strategy, Cricket Club, Ivory Hall, Ouzeldale Social Club. All gone or re-purposed.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

No wonder we've lost trust and respect for our politicians....
`Tories planned to make millions from members’ data with ‘True Blue’ app: Exclusive: senior party officials worked on commercial venture that would allow brands to sell products to supporters' Guardian
Senior Conservative party officials worked on plans to hand over its entire membership database for a commercial venture that promised to make tens of millions of pounds, the Guardian can reveal. Leaked documents show Tory executives discussed exploiting members’ personal data to build a mobile phone app that could track users’ locations and allow big brands to advertise to Conservative supporters. The party would take a cut of sales. The project was considered over several months last year, with the aim of launching the “True Blue” app in time for the party’s conference in October. The idea was developed by the boss of a cryptocurrency firm with a string of failed businesses behind him. Yet senior Conservative officials appeared so captivated by the plan that they prepared to provide the party’s database of members in order to move the proposal forward.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

If that's true Peter and it happens then it's a scandalous misuse of private data. Did the members realise this was possible when they registered?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

As many of you will remember, I bleach my sink every morning as part of my routine brewing the only coffee I have during the day. As a consequence my favourite pint pot gets bleached as well.
It struck me this morning that as well as my anti-social nature, this daily sterilising of my pot might also have a bearing on how I manage to be so infection free. I can't remember when I last had a common cold.
Of course I cannot be sure of this but until someone proves me wrong I shall entertain the possibility and keep bleaching my pot each day.
What grabs me is that after being away since January Susan and Mick fly back to the UK from Australia this week. It will be nice to see them again!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

`Mount Etna puffs 'smoke rings' in rare display'... Mount Etna
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Stanley wrote: 07 Apr 2024, 03:29 this daily sterilising of my pot might also have a bearing on how I manage to be so infection free. I can't remember when I last had a common cold.
My recollection is that the last person that I heard recommend the use of bleach as a prophylactic against viral infections, was President Donald J Trump. He was a bit vague as to its application, and myths have developed about it, but he certainly said to do more than rinse out your favourite pint pot with it. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”