Today I shall be Mainly...

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Stanley »

I shall be putting my chicken in to roast before I go in the shed at 06:00. Later this morning I shall be veggie shopping. If Chaudhrys aren't open it will have to be the Co-op. It's just the way the need has fallen this week.....
(Actually I have an idea they will be open in Town Square.....
Later.....

Only one image needed today. This morning I made the eccentric and fitted it, It is ready now to accept the eccentric strap when that is bored but first I will make the eccentric rod and the valve rod support. That's for tomorrow, now for breakfast.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

A wet day today I think. Yesterday turned out sunnier than expected, a pleasant day on the whole. We pruned the apple tree, I weeded and tidied the front garden and Bob put preservative on the shed and waterproofed the chimney stack which jacuzzi Dave thinks is the cause of the slight damp on the lounge wall. Bob disappeared to the park about 3.30 pm and I sewed. I was in bed early as I suffered a severe attack of restless leg which has affected me since childhood. There seems to be no common factor that triggers it off, though it is worse when taking statins. Having just had a bad few weeks my GP told me to stop taking them for a month. As this is week 3 yesterday’s attack came as a surprise. Of course bed early meant I was awake early, 4.45 to be precise!

Today little is planned but we are at Wendy and Keiths this afternoon for an impromptu buffet tea. I do know it is their wedding anniversary so card and chocolates will be delivered. It’s also our niece’s birthday, and April Fools’ day!

Otherwise have a good day all
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Morning Sue, For your restless leg read Susan's Migraine. I wish both of you could be free!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Off to Harrogate for tea with youngest offspring, picking up eldest offspring on the way. Hopefully the scenic route, via Grassington, is quiet.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I didn't go into Town Square but did a veggie shop at the Co-op and got most of what I needed. I have cooked more than half of next week's ration and will do the rest tomorrow.
I haven't had a text from Well but think my meds must be ready so I'll go tomorrow to try my luck. I can get what veggies I need to top me up from Chaudhrys. I have to cook cauliflower and broccoli but that isn't a biggie and will be easily done when I get back. :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I shall be in the shed at 06:00. We are getting very close to an engine. I shall have to think about ordering another set of castings (£508 + VAT)..... :sad:
This shed business is expensive!
(But the kids will have a valuable asset. I see Stuart's charge £4,000 + VAT for a No 9 ready to run......)
Later I shall try for my Meds at Well pharmacy and perhaps get some extra greens from Chaudhrys.
It's all go!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

This morning I took a piece of flat bar that was nowhere near the dimensions needed for the Eccentric rod and started working on it. First I refined the end that connects with the clevis on the end of the valve rod and then I measured and drilled for the 5BA clearance hole that accepts the CS screw on the strap. That included countersinking the hole. Then I cut the rod to length and had to reduce the width of the strap end to 5/16". I had almost reached that at closing time but refuse to be rushed. I shall finish the rod and fit it tomorrow morning. The next job this morning is breakfast!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

A very quiet day yesterday as my legs were still playing up, most unusual. I finished the hand sewing on my top and now await the buttons that are on order so that i can do the buttonholes. We had a pleasant afternoon at Wendy and Keiths, there were 10 of us and the chatter was hearty. We all set too to wash and tidy up about 7.00 and we were home by 8.00. Sadly my legs got progressively worse and once again I was in bed early. They seem a little easier today.

At lunchtime I have my voice therapy session, this may be the last one as my voice is much improved. At tea time its pilates and yoga at the studio.

Have a good day all
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sorry to hear your legs have been dominating your day again Sue, it must be a bugger. Once again I reflect on how lucky I am, I don't seem to have things like your legs or my Susan's migraine. I shall go to bed now and consider a walk later! I hope you have a better day. :good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not a very successful shop. My meds won't be here until Thursday and I called in at a new food store in the Square and asked for vinegar, they didn't know what it was..... Gulam at Chaudhrys says he will bring some in specially for me. I shall have a sit and then finish cooking veggies!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've finished cooking the veggies. Hob cleaned and everything put away.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Just got back from dropping Ruby and Sally at Skipton Station. Ruby will be going all the way to Stratford but she has to change stations in Birmingham. Sally goes with her to Leeds to see her off on the Birmingham train which needs a hop of a few platforms at Leeds from where the Skipton train gets in. She has a seat booked for that journey. Relatively quick turn around for Sally and I will be picking her up, probably mid to late afternoon.

Ruby is now 6ft 1" in her stocking feet and will be 16 in October. We will see her again sometime in Summer when we book a cottage somewhere. :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's an impressive height for a girl! I hope she isn't self-conscious about it. That can happen and needs watching out for.
Today is going to be a very relaxed day. All my tasks are done and I don't have to go the Well until tomorrow. We are promised rain as well so I will not feel guilty about staying indoors and even having a dad-nap at dinnertime!
But..... First I shall be in the shed with my engine at 06:00. This morning I am doing delicate things with the eccentric rod. I like small fitting jobs like that. They look so simple when you have finished them but take such a lot of work to get a result!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Over 6 feet for a girl that is impressive , I hope the fashion and shoe world has managed to keep up with our growing female population. I thought Eve was tall, at 14 she is 5 feet 8 inches and still growing.

I am pleased to report my legs are back to normal, that was an unpleasant couple of days and as there seems to be no specific trigger its difficult to try and prevent it happening and there is little cure when it has other than going to bed with the warmth of an electric blanket. So yesterday was a good day. I had my speech therapy appointment and as expected I have been signed off. I had to complete a symptom questionnaire, the same one as when I started going last June. I scored 7 compared to the initial 20 where a high score is a poor score. I was very pleased. Unlike my legs I know what can cause my voice to fail, and no it is not just continuous talking though Bob may disagree :laugh5: , and I now know how to help it recover quickly. In the afternoon we went over to the wine merchants in Clitheroe to find a specific type of wine for the u3 a wine group meeting on Saturday evening, then this was followed by two, more strenuous than usual classes in pilates and yoga, and despite all the walking and exercise my legs held up.

This afternoon I am at Maxine's but this morning I think it will be a walk to the bank with the takings from the little train on Sunday. I think it will be a damp walk. Have a good day all.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"there seems to be no specific trigger "

Very similar to my Susan's migraine Sue. It frustrates me and I don't suffer! I just hate to see others having their lives made miserable. I hope it stays away Sue!
I have nothing on my calendar and looking at the forecast I think I shall be taking it easy indoors.

I started this morning by spending over 30 minutes getting the shape of the end of the eccentric rod to an exact fit in the strap. This was done using a file and emery paper. Once I was satisfied I had that right I set the VM up for boring the strap out to the size needed to fit the eccentric. That got me to closing time. I was ready to bore but will leave that until tomorrow when there is no pressure on me. Now for breakfast!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

I get migraines, they used to be horrific before I had our son, then they stopped for many years, just recently they have been back, but not as ferocious. We have never been able to find the trigger, which is very annoying. The only sign I get at first is the pixilation, then after 20 mins that goes and the headaches start, but as I said they are getting a lot easier.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Do women suffer from them more than men? I have every sympathy Gloria....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Stanley wrote: 03 Apr 2024, 08:55 Do women suffer from them more than men? I have every sympathy Gloria....
I don’t know Stanley. My dad and two of my brothers suffered from them, but my mother never did.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I used to get allergy triggered migraine which came on in my late 20's. It was triggered with coffee or cold corned beef! I have not drunk coffee for over 40 years. I can eat corned beef if it is cooked in any way. Doc said it was probably the preservatives. When I went fishing, corned beef sandwiches and a flask of coffee used to be my normal food for the days fishing.

Strangely also, despite experiencing a Satsuma sized brain tumour, I never had a headache! I can also say that since my surgery I have never had any kind of headache which is a blessing. :smile:

I have been promising myself to try coffee again as I love the aroma. Apparently you can train yourself to accept former toxins. In the case of coffee it is a teaspoon at a time deal, gradually increasing the dosage so to speak.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 03 Apr 2024, 10:27 I have been promising myself to try coffee again as I love the aroma. Apparently you can train yourself to accept former toxins. In the case of coffee it is a teaspoon at a time deal, gradually increasing the dosage so to speak.
I would highly recommend Aldi's Italian blend ground coffee, I don't like any of the instant coffees. If you're passing through Foulridge give me a shout and I'll brew a cafetiere and give you a 'teaspoon', if you're feeling brave I have an espresso cup :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

We already buy that Kev, Sally has coffee every morning so no shortage of test beverage.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

:good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Once again I realise how lucky I am. I never have headaches and as far as I am aware I'm not allergic to anything. My morning pint of milky coffee is one of the high points of my day!
I shall be in the shed at 06:00 boring and fitting my eccentric strap. Then I have the valve rod support to deal with.

Here it is, the nastiest little casting on the engine.Fettling this is freehand and trust your judgement!
Later after my second sleep I have to trot up to Well Pharmacy for me meds..... Deep Joy.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Only one image needed this morning. I bored the eccentric strap and fitted it to the eccentric to check the fit. It's perfect. So I fitted the rod and mounted the eccentric on the engine. I am ready now to fettle and fit the governor stand. Finally I took the boring head off the VM and replaced it with the normal cutter. Now for breakfast!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

All good here. We had a very wet walk into Rochdale yesterday but coffee and a teacake at a cafe helped the walk back. The afternoon was a successful sewing session as Maxine and I managed to redesign the pattern. This morning will be sewing and doing some washing, this afternoon we are going to see our widowed friend Wendy in Norden.

Have a good day all

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”