Today I shall be Mainly...

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Stanley »

Good luck with the new car Kev!
Ian, I'm glad I'm not in your black book! My Hoover cost £50 brand new..... cheaper than the Dyson motor.
I shall be in the shed as usual at 06:00 working on the valve rod...... and after that very little after looking at the forecast of rain all day......
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

First job was to finish making the valve rod, the stainless steel rod had to be cut to the right length and threaded 4BA for 5/8" at one end and 3/8" at the other. Then the valve itself had to be drilled clearance for the rod, using the valve chest to set the position of the bore. Next the driver had to be marked, drilled and tapped 4BA for the rod. Then the rod and valve fitted and checked that it was correct. It's fine so now it's time for breakfast!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Big Kev wrote: 09 Mar 2024, 16:56
PanBiker wrote: 09 Mar 2024, 16:13 Nice looking car Kev is it petrol or diesel?
It's the 2.0 diesel, the 150bhp tdci. Returns 60+ mpg if you're not too heavy on the right foot.

I think the Dyson would be in the bin, I looked at replacing the motor on my old DC08 but bought a Shark in the end. It wasn't much more than a replacement motor.
Morning

Yes the car looks good, plus good to the mileage, Bob does very well indeed on his Audi diesel. As for the Dyson, it was our Dyson that burnt out on Friday. It had been my brother’s and we kept it when he died. We suspect it was second hand then. Anyway after only a few weeks the motor burnt out so Bob replaced it. So this motor was about 2 years old. There were no tools with it so we have binned it and yesterday bought a new ball Dyson, as we liked the vacuum cleaner, having never had a dyson before. We hope it will last us out 🤣. Poor Julia whilst here, her washer, drier food mixer and kettle all died in the same week. She is hoping the drier and washer will be fixable, she has reverted to her old stove top kettle that they had in the States, but the mixer will probably have to be a new one.

I also bought my veggie seeds yesterday, most of which can now be planted in the greenhouse so in the afternoon I decided against moving my geraniums out there but cleared the space for seed trays and pots instead. I noticed the squirrels had been having a go at my outside pots so I mixed an anti squirrel spray, ie some hot pepper and chili sauce diluted, and sprayed the pots, having replanted the hardy fuchsias and the tulips.

Today is light rain and 7 degrees all day. I shall strip and change the bedding, finish the ironing and go and potter in the greenhouse. Have a good day all.
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Morning Sue! My God, that was a clean sweep for Julia.... I hope she can get back on track without spending a fortune.... I just cross my fingers and hope it isn't catching!
We have a wet cold morning here Sue. I shall go back to bed and ignore it.
Funny thing is that I was thinking about changing the duvet covers. I shall see how I feel after a sleep. :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm back up after a big sleep. Now I shall have a hot drink and consider the possibilities. We still have cold rain out there so don't be looking for a walk.
(I have decided against anything as strenuous as duvet cover changing..... :biggrin2: )
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I am sitting and drinking coffee. Considering cooking a sausage, bacon, black pudding and egg bun for lunch as there are a few bits in the fridge that need using. That's about as exciting as it's getting here today apart from going to The Raj for tea (that's quite exciting).
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

We have had the Silsden grandchildren overnight. Carla and Ant were at a Rugby event last night. I have nearly finished my cashing up for the banking run tomorrow. We will be taking the kids back home late afternoon via Ghyll and Carleton Churchyards to put some stuff on our mums graves. Pulled pork at our Carla's for Mother's Day. Jack and his girlfriend Lucy should be there as well. :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I shall be in the shed at 06:00 deciding what needs doing next in the onward march with the Stuart No. 9 engine. We are promised a dry but gloomy overcast day but the glass is rising. Who knows, we might be moving towards Spring!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

I wonder, Stanley, if everything going together reflects the timing of when they were bought when they moved back here from the States or when they had their kitchen extension. I await to hear this week what can be repaired.

Todays appointment is lunchtime so its a day for taking sandwiches, I won’t have time for pilates this morning but should be back for yoga this evening. We plan on calling at Sainsbury's near Heaton Park on the way back as I am still looking for some new jeans…that fit!

Today is due to be dry, less windy and 6-8 degrees. I planted my seeds in the greenhouse yesterday but as it was so cold I covered all the trays with the insulation fleece I used to cover my plants over the winter. The rest of the week will be warmer but wetter. Talking of wet we have at least part solved the leak in the greenhouse.

Have a good day all
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I was wondering whether they had suffered a spike in the leccy supply but useless to speculate, she will just have to bite the bullet. Re. the plants, yes it has been cold for them but as you remark, we may be over the worst. Double figures Wednesday onwards!

A morning of small fiddly things. I blunted my slitting saw on the stainless steel valve rod so this morning I did a quick and dirty re-sharpen using the 4" grinder. Then I measured and marked the valve rod clevis for machining. First job was to drill and tap 7BA for the pin that will carry the drive and then cut the slot for the eccentric rod with the slitting saw. I got it right with no mistakes and fitted a 7BA nut and bolt to check it was OK. All that took an hour so now it's time for breakfast.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I shall be in the shed at 06:00 as usual but I shall not be putting my chicken in to roast first. I shopped for veggies yesterday to avoid the rain but then realised that I have enough of last week's cooking to last me until Wednesday dinner time so I shall move cooking to tomorrow. That means an easy day today. Perhaps roast my chicken later and so take some of the pressure off tomorrow. I'll take a view later......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

More work refining the valve train. I finished work on the clevis that connects the valve rod to the eccentric rod. Then I fitted it to check what I'd done. I finished up with the cylinder and valve train finished. I can move on now with the other elements. Time for breakfast.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

It’s a damp day but less so this afternoon when it starts to warm up. We shall see later whether Bobs greenhouse repairs have been successful.

Yesterday we were away from Christies by 2.00 pm, it seemed strange driving home so early. We called at Sainsburys for petrol and clothes browsing, Bob was successful, I was not, so it looks like I will have to pay M£S prices for jeans. Todays appointment is mid afternoon so with the visit to the Drs clinic as well we may be late home. At the clinic we should be told what happens next. I will probably miss pilates but should make yoga.

Have a good day all
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Morning Sue..... Yes, we should start to get the benefit of milder weather later today. I wonder if the gardens will start to respond. We are always so late up here, I used to see that particularly when I was on the tramp. everywhere had daffodils before us!
I have had my second sleep and am going to put my chicken in to roast now, one less task for tomorrow.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Chicken roasted, gravy harvested, all put in the fridge and the roasting tin is cleaned. Now for a read!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Shed from 06:00 for an hour working on my engine and then after second sleep I shall cook veggies.
Glad I did the chicken yesterday.... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Just lost my post so shall start again.

Today is our last day at Christies. Its a lunchtime appointment so a packed lunch will be required. Then life will return to normal as we await the results of scans in May and September. No point dwelling on the results it won’t change anything, and evidence is that a positive attitude is a positive help. I can return to my sewing, gardening and art , Bob his various hobbies and in two weeks we can start going places again. A normal diet can be reintroduced slowly by the weekend, Bye Bye carrots, mashed potato and bland spaghetti. Roll on a curry, eventually

This morning Claire is popping over for a cuppa as she has workmen in fitting their heat pump. It will be a short visit as we are out at 11 but she is welcome to stay for a shower if she wishes.there boiler has packed in so the have bitten the bullet and gone for a het pump. They have the space and a grant has made it competitive with a new boiler. Meanwhile Julia has had to order a new washer and drier. With three serious swimmers and cross country runner in the house they need both urgently!

Its due to be damp/ wet and 11 degrees. We shall soon be able to put the pond filter on, treat the accumulating blanket weed and feed the fish. Have a good day all
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice to hear of life getting back to normal Sue. I am so glad for both of you, not just Bob! I hope you have a similar history to mine with cancer and can get to the stage where it never enters your mind. They tell me I still have mine but I never give it a moments thought. I am so lucky. I want you both to have the same.

Today the focus was on the block of bronze that is the crosshead. First some careful measuring and a fag packet drawing, then mark the block up and after that start making it smaller. I finished up with the first stages completed. I can go forwards tomorrow but that's a good hour and now I deserve my breakfast!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

To be quite honest we tend not to think about it as a cancer we dwell more on organising the day and fitting in meals etc around appointments. We won't even need to think about that now. I suppose because Bob shows no sign of illness or bad side effects then he is just Bob in both of our minds
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good!
I have just finished my cook in. All pans either full of cooked veggies waiting to go into the fridge and the hob is clean.
So everything is in order and I can now relax. Lovely! :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You all know where I will be at 06:00. Every lie-style study that I read extols the virtue of regular routines and clear goals,our bodies function best under these conditions. I believe this to be true and that's why I repeatedly say that these routines and the exercise of building my engines by working with my hands is good for me.
This philosophy seems to be working so far!
I shall order my meat when I come out of the shed and I'm looking for a break in the weather to allow me a dry passage to the Co-[op. There are a few essentials I need. So far the picture today is of even more rain!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Its Art at Haslingden this morning, then I shall put on the slow cooker for tea and nothing else is planned. Yesterday afternoon we were back early from our last appointment, so spent some time booking a couple of short breaks in the UK. We have booked a cottage just outside York for a few days, the weekend before Easter as a treat to ourselves following the last 5.5 weeks, and we have booked a rail/ coach trip in Scotland in October.

Not sure of the forecast, warm and damp I think. Have a good day all
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Our weather looks like a rerun of yesterday Sue. I like the idea of you treating yourselves. No pockets in a shroud!

I stripped the shaft and flywheel out of the bed so that I could insert the crosshead. I spent the rest of the morning marking and then drilling and tapping for the piston rod's connection to the crosshead. Lots more fitting than net the eye but by closing time I had it fitted and the crosshead moves nicely in the guides. I confess I had to scrap my first drilling and tapping, I got it wrong but hit the target the second time. Luckily there is plenty of meat in the crosshead so I can stand to lose 3/8" off one end. Now for breakfast!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I decided there was no point waiting for dry weather and went to the Co-op to do the shopping.
There were some cleaning materials that needed topping up and would you believe I spent £38 on two carrier bags?
I feel sorry for anyone who has a family to shop for.......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 11:28 I decided there was no point waiting for dry weather and went to the Co-op to do the shopping.
There were some cleaning materials that needed topping up and would you believe I spent £38 on two carrier bags?
I feel sorry for anyone who has a family to shop for.......
You missed 'moonface' and his photo opportunity at the new banking hub. It was the official opening ceremony today, despite it already being open for over a week :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”