Global Moderator

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Stanley »

The bits get smaller........
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Two lots of French visitors today. Bertram and Elizabeth are calling this afternoon. Bertram is a keen engineer and Elizabeth a keen artist so we have lots in common. This evening our elderly friend Roland and his daughter from Paris are popping round for aperitifs.

Otherwise it's a day of shopping and gardening. It's a holiday on Monday, as at home. But unlike home all the shops will be shut so we need to make sure we have food in, particularly bread which only keeps if we put it in the freezer. It's our 46 th wedding anniversary on Monday and we may not even find a restaurant open to have a meal out. We will try and book somewhere today, but we are not hopeful.

The weather is still awful but should be a lot warmer today. I think my cold may actually be hayfever as my symptoms have not progressed from a sore throat,sneezing and a headache. We are surrounded by fields of rape.
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That sounds likely Sue. I feel for you, I have never suffered from hay fever but know how debilitating it can be. Good luck with the night out!

You know where I will be! Pressing forward on the last lap!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Last evening I developed a painful ear as well as the sore throats etc. I slept under the influence of strong painkillers and my head on a hot water bottle, being Sunday and a holiday weekend no pharmacists are open here till Tuesday. I wonder how the French manage. Their health care is not all it is cracked up to be . Any way this morning my ear is just as painful and very wet. It's not nice
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

That's not nice Sue, I hope you improve.

Today we will be making our early entrance to Silsden before the roads are closed for the Tour de Yorkshire. The route this year come straight up Howdenl Road and past our Carla's garden. Their house and garden is on the gable end and will have a prime view of that section. Friends and family will gather for the spectacle. Jacobs join for the incidentals and puddings, Sally is taking a flan and various home made dips including a fiery chilli number which should compliment the pulled pork feast that Carla is providing, it should be a good day.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

We watched the Tour de Yorkshire from Nidd Hall yesterday. It's a fascinating process to watch the rolling road block coming together. I got a few good pics of the leading 4, the pelleton and a lot of police motorcycles :grin:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Recovering after a trip over the manorial boundary yesterday to look at my mate John's new house. Impressive, he even has his own lake!

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Doing a lot of filing for my Ancestry.
I get easily distracted from this task...my mind wanders too easily. I started filing yesterday and suddenly thought of something I needed to check again ( I have a habit of writing questions to myself in the margins and they spark me off on a search). As it turned out, it was a very fruitful search, leading to printouts and therefore more filing!
I can drift off into my own world for hours doing Ancestry. I think that if I lived alone I would be in danger of becoming a rather rumpled looking hermit.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

46 years of marriage today. How did that go so fast.

I am dosing my ear with strong painkillers and last night tried an anti inflammatory that I normally take when my back flares up. It worked wonders, I was pain free all night. I will take another today. If my ear is still bad tomorrow I can go to the walk in health centre.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

That's a long time, Sue. Congratulations! ( and much admiration)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Congratulations Sue and Bob. :smile:
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Congratulations to you both, hope you can enjoy the day despite the bad ear. :smile:
I'm recovering from my trip back to Scotland, as always it was an emotional few days!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Fixing border tiles in Jacks kitchen.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Sue wrote: 01 May 2017, 07:17 46 years of marriage today. How did that go so fast.
Congratulations, 36 for us today.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Congrats Kev.

It was a sunny windy day when we tied the knot. Cloudy and dull at the time of the ceremony but lovely in time for the photos. We went to the Lakes and Northumberland for a few days and it was lovely weather. By Thursday I was back at university, researching what I would do for my final year research project. My tutor got a shock, few people at uni knew I was getting married with still over a year of my 4 year course to complete. Bob had graduated from Durham and managed to get a job at Ferranti in Manchester, so we thought 'why not' .

We planned the wedding and set the date at Christmas, bought the wedding dress , a whole £26 , from a shop in Burnley, and booked the Spring Bank Hotel in Nelson for our reception. That was it, no endless preparations months and months beforehand. My sister, aged 10 was my only bridesmaid. The only thing the vicar wanted to know was that it wasn't cup final day? Harry Potts and his parents came to the wedding as Dad had known them for years. The one blip in the plan was that my sister hit puberty that year and she grew about 8 inches in the 4 months , thus the night before the wedding we were sewing a feather boa on the bottom of her dress( we found one on Burnley market) . It still barely reached her ankles.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

A bit of Photoshop jiggery-pokery from last year. The building is no longer the Gravesend Register Office but I believe the mosaic is a protected piece of art. I had a bit more hair in 1981 :-)

Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Nice one Kev
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Congratulations Kev.
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Great picture Kev. Congratulations.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Oh how clever. The current Mr and Mrs looking back on their wedding? I love it.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I agree with Maz. Not about the 'rumpled hermit' but the pic. Brilliant Idea. Congratulations to you both and commiserations to Sue on her ear, earache can be so horrible.
When Vera and I got married in 1959 we went shopping for the dress together and I got into terrible trouble for asking for a discount. It cost £28, that was over three weeks wages..... The wedding reception cost 7/6 a head with one free drink thrown in, at the Coronation......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley wrote: 02 May 2017, 02:19 I agree with Maz. Not about the 'rumpled hermit' but the pic. Brilliant Idea. Congratulations to you both and commiserations to Sue on her ear, earache can be so horrible.
When Vera and I got married in 1959 we went shopping for the dress together and I got into terrible trouble for asking for a discount. It cost £28, that was over three weeks wages..... The wedding reception cost 7/6 a head with one free drink thrown in, at the Coronation......
Gosh Stanley my dress was cheap in 1971 at £26, mind you there was no veil. The simple A line dress had a long lace coat with train and hood. I still have it! It got slightly damaged in our flood a couple of years ago, but the lace coat is perfect, I suppose I could make something with it
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Sue wrote: 02 May 2017, 05:31 A line dress had a long lace coat with train and hood. I still have it!
Does it still fit ?
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

:grin: you aren't supposed to ask questions like that Plaquey!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Does it still fit ?

Well now that would be telling. I last tried it on, on our 25 th wedding anniversary. It fitted then....

:surprised:

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”