Today I shall be Mainly...

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Stanley »

Complete change this morning. I left the shaft blanks on one side and addressed the matter of squaring up the top and bottom (including the holding down bolt lugs) of the base casting as it is too wide to fit in my vise and it would be a good thing to mill it before I replace the vise on the mill. So two pics of the milling and one of me tramming the vise in after replacement. If I put that big piece of ground gauge steel in the vise it gives me a really good reading on the dial indicator. I chased my chips before doing that and have a nice straight edge on the bench before getting set up for eccentric turning tomorrow morning. Now for breakfast!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Great day yesterday, white load of washing done and dried, ( bedding today) paint bought for France, plants bought and planted and the garden tidied a little. I put my sweet peas out which could have been planted out as seeds last November but with the squirrels it would have been a waste of time. I have protected the plants with a small of sticks surrounding the trellis, hopefully it will be a deterrent. I only had a 33 % germination rate in the greenhouse, I think because it has been so cold and lacking in much sun. My broad beans never even germinated but just rotted in the soil, as did half of my squash seeds. The beetroot seedlings are looking pathetic, i had wanted to plant them out before we went to France but no chance. Even the fish dis appeared back to the bottom of the pond for a few days this week

Today will be more of the same activities and a little sewing. Have a good day all
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Amazing what a difference a good dry day makes even if there was no sun!
I shall be in the shed for an hour as usual and apart from that there is nothing on my social calendar!
Looks as though we could have rain for much of the day so I shall leave any decisions about walks until then.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Only one pic this morning. I spent 45 minutes putting the smaller 4 jaw independent chuck on the lathe and setting up a crankshaft blank parallel and true using the dial indicator. Then I fitted the parting tool with the indexed tip and extended it until it could reach the full depth of the cut without fouling the work. I am ready to start cutting crank pins now but have left the start of that until tomorrow. I'm more interested in my breakfast than starting to cut..... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Another nice day yesterday, Bob was busy with the train at the park , I did domestic things, a little gardening and sewing. Today promises to be showery and cloudy but not heavy rain. I have pilates this morning and yoga this evening both on zoom, otherwise I will be sewing and transplanting my squash seedlings into bigger pots. They are not big enough to plant out yet but too big to stay in the small pots they are in whilst we are away in France. I see my runner beans are germinating in the greenhouse too. I am in two minds to plant out my beetroot, they are rather small but are hardy plants normally. Thinking ….. I just don’t want to leave my neighbour with lots of watering to do.

Well thats going to be my day, have a good onev
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Same here Sue, a rainy forenoon but not heavy. I am back up after second sleep and have just put a load of washing in. Standards are being maintained! But I'll admit that so far, that's the limit of my housework..... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I shall be in the shed this morning starting on the next phase of making three crankshafts out of solid steel......
I know.... It's a long drawn out job but the end result, if done right, is beautiful and practical. Time is of no matter to me, indeed, the longer it takes the less my workshop experience costs me!
By the way, I gave another engine away to an old friend this week. They are spreading like a rash!
Apart from a walk in the dry weather we can expect, I can't see anything pressing in the agenda.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Only one image needed this morning. Here's a lovely sight and the reason why I spent so much time milling the meat out of the blanks. Here are three crankshaft blanks. each of which has a 3/8" crank pin. That's all the eccentric turning done and dusted in an hour and a quarter. I deserve my breakfast!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Rain all day yesterday, I hope today will be better. I repotted my squash plants into bigger pots so they can stay in the greenhouse whilst we are away and I finished a summer top in anticipation that eventually winter will finish. I am not holding my breath and its not much warmer or drier in Brittany with a 10 day forecast of rain. Today I have an appointment this morning, pilates and yoga in the studio this evening and nothing else planned.

Have a good day all
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Morning Sue! I agree with you, no sign of summer yet apart from the new growth on the trees. It's warmer in Scotland than it is with us.... Still, we won't get their midges!
Have a nice day and keep the faith, it will eventually improve!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm back up and having a hot drink. I think the next move will be a short walk. :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I shall be in the shed as usual carrying on with making 3 crankshafts for Stuart No. 9 Engines. Not sure after that but it looks like a dry and relatively pleasant day out there from the forecast so I think a walk could be on the cards.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

The sun is out but it is not due to stay. Its still not Spring temperatures and only 14 in France. I have sewing with Maxine this morning, then this afternoon I have to take my car in for its first service and an oil change. I will probably not get back in time for zoom pilates at 5.30 pm , so thats it for my day, have a good one.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You're right about the temperature Sue, it's not summer yet! I am sick of hearing of near 20C in the South and even Scotland! I hope you get on better today than you think.

The first thing I did was make slugs of steel that fitted exactly into the gap between the webs and glued them in place to take the pressure when the live centre was supporting the blank during the turning of the two legs of the shaft from solid. Then I measured carefully and decided on my dimensions. Next I fitted the first blank in the 4 jaw independent chuck and adjusted it for centre with the dial indicator. These jaws aren't bell mouthed and I will be glad of that later. Next I marked the thickness of the webs, fitted a tipped tool and started turning. By that time it was breakfast time!
But you'll be wondering about that last image. My daughter Margaret is visiting in June and I want to send my great grandson Alex a present. So I have got two kits for Stuart wobblers, they make a nice little running engine. I shall make them when I have finished these three crankshafts.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I shall be in the shed for at least an hour working on muck-shifting on my crankshafts. There is some swarf to go out of the door. As for the rest of the day, there is nothing on my social calender and apart from surprises I will spend it keeping dry and warm. At my age that's what suits me best!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning all

This will be short, but nice to get on. Art this morning, then a bit of gardening this afternoon. Have a good day all
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Morning Sue, you were lucky, it went AWOL again but has just come back.

As you can see, after refining my set up a bit more I started cutting and have finished one leg of the shaft. Ready to start the next tomorrow.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I shall be in the shed for an hour on my shafts and I need a swift trip to the Co-op for milk after second sleep. As for the rest of the day, I shall take it as it comes!
I'll admit to it being chilly to my bald bonce!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Only one image needed. This morning I finished the initial turning of the first crankshaft and cleaned the lathe up ready for setting up the next shaft tomorrow. All the chips are out in the bin and I have swept the floor.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Just got back from a shop at the Co-op. I shall put the veggies etc. away and have a drink of tea....
So far it's a lovely sunny morning but still cold!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Its now 5.45 pm and its the first time I have managed to get on the site today. I have tried a few times this afternoon.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Ten past six and we are still OK. The sun is still shining and I have just enjoyed half of a king prawn with ginger and spring onion takeaway. Yummy!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Ah Wendy, take away, tomorrow’s tea as the fridge is now empty, apart from half a cucumber and a bit of cabbage , oh yes and some sprouting potatoes
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Well at least the potatoes are sprouting!
I have just had the pleasant surprise of the site starting normally. Ian must be doing some good!
I shall be in the shed as normal and might cook my chicken later today. I shopped for veggies at the Co-op Yesterday.
I shall crash on into the site and see how long it lasts!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The task this morning was easy. I cleaned up yesterday and left Mrs Harrison sat there waiting for the next crankshaft blank. I went out there this morning and wasted the best part of half an hour by setting up the stock for eccentric turning! That's right, I'm losing my marbles. I took a deep breath, forgave my self and set the blank up for turning the shaft. The last pic is of the job ready to start. I've measured for the web and taken one cut. Tomorrow I can go out and start cutting right away. Old age isn't for cissies!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”