Today I shall be Mainly...

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Stanley »

Judged by your performance in Mystery Objects Kev, you must have been a welcome minority! :biggrin2:
I shall be in the shed as usual at 06:00 and might cook my savoury mince later.......
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

More work on the crank bearing. The first thing was to mount the half of the bearing that carries the oil filler in the chuck so that the horn on top was as near central as possible. Not easy because the piece isn't square. Then drill it tapping size for the 1/4" X 32tpi plug I shall make for it and then extend that hole with an 1/8" bore into the middle of the bronze. That will be the oil passage. Then find a piece of brass rod and make it the right size for the plug and thread it to fit the bearing. Once that was done turn the plug to the correct diameter and knurl the head before cutting it off from the stock. We now have a bearing that's ready for boring to fit the crank pin and then fitting to the foot of the con rod..... There's always more operations than you think to even the smallest component. Now for breakfast!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Its a nice sunny morning here just outside York, I hope the wind has died down. It was a typical cold wind for over her on the east. It was hailing when we picked up our shopping in Oldham Tesco, but the sun came out at Leeds which, often seemed to happen when we visited my brother over that way before he died.

We had a lovely lunch at a farm shop on the way over and then spent a couple of hours in York which was very busy indeed. The market was on at the Shambles, and we have never seen it so busy. We only stayed a short while before heading off to the village where we are staying. Our rented accommodation is lovely and well fitted out. Today will be York sight seeing with a difference. For Christmas I bought Bob some city break books, including York. Each book takes you to specific destinations where you search for clues to solve a fictitious crime. The stories at the landmarks are real, the crime is fictitious. The clues are cryptic and take you around some key places. I think it mat take us more than the day…. :laugh5:

Have a good day all
If you keep searching you will find it
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

That sounds like fun Sue! When my brother and sister in law lived in York I bought them this book about the Snickleways of York. I don't know if they ever used it, but I would love to!

https://www.waterstones.com/book/a-walk ... 1871125771
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Wendyf wrote: 24 Mar 2024, 08:31 That sounds like fun Sue! When my brother and sister in law lived in York I bought them this book about the Snickleways of York. I don't know if they ever used it, but I would love to!

That sounds good too. I love that sort of tour…We went on a guided tour of the back lanes of Manchester once organised by Tod u3a
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I gave him York, Manchester and Chester
IMG_1453.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Wendyf wrote: 24 Mar 2024, 08:31 That sounds like fun Sue! When my brother and sister in law lived in York I bought them this book about the Snickleways of York. I don't know if they ever used it, but I would love to!

Well we gathered all our clues and will solve the puzzle whilst we are sitting later. We came across a Waterstones and bought the other book there in the local section
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Sue wrote: 24 Mar 2024, 16:01

Well we gathered all our clues and will solve the puzzle whilst we are sitting later. We came across a Waterstones and bought the other book there in the local section
Might be a wet walk tomorrow!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You lot lead such rich lives! Yes, the forecast has a lot of rain in it.
I shall be in the shed at 06:00 as usual. Grand daughter Jess visits later this morning and I think she's bringing me a salad butty for lunch.....
I do not have to go out in the rain and so I shall watch it through the window!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I am off to Harrogate today, via Grassington and Pately Bridge. The route is slightly quicker than the 'official' diversion through Ilkley. Lunch with youngest offspring and family, it's half term in Yorkshire so they're all off work :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good luck with it Kev.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

More progress on the crank bearing and con rod. I started by boring the bearing 3'8" to suit the crank pin then countersinking the back brass to allow the heads of the bolts to sink in to give me enough thread for the foot of the con-rod. Then some careful measuring and marking of the con rod and drilling it clearance for the 4BA bolts. That completed I have set the rod and bearing up for the first part of cutting the foot down to fit the bearing and be capable of fitting in the gap between the webs of the crankshaft. That's for tomorrow, now I am going to address breakfast!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Today promises 50% chance of rain apart from lunchtime when it is 90%. We will have to browse the indoor things to do whilst navigating a few snickelways. Studying the book Wendy I think we did a few yesterday solving our mystery, which we did indeed solve as we sat working out our clues last night. Whilst wandering one of these I came across a fabric shop having found another the day before. I now have two lovely pieces to sew.

So today is not yet completely sorted depending on how wet it actually is. Have a good day all
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You can't keep a good shopper down!Are all the interesting shops buried in snicketts?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley wrote: 25 Mar 2024, 07:59 You can't keep a good shopper down!Are all the interesting shops buried in snicketts?
Oh there are a lot of interesting shops everywhere Stanley, but certainly both fabric shops were. We have decided to stay dry in the railway museum today and do a short snicket walk in the morning tomorrow before we leave.

Bob has just had his treatment follow up phone call from Christies just to note if side effects are clearing up and some general info. The phone call was at breakfast time which was very convenient.all good so far
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Big Kev wrote: 25 Mar 2024, 06:28 I am off to Harrogate today, via Grassington and Pately Bridge. The route is slightly quicker than the 'official' diversion through Ilkley. Lunch with youngest offspring and family, it's half term in Yorkshire so they're all off work :good:
An interesting journey, the A59 was closed on the roundabout at Elslack due to a serious crash by Broughton Hall. We turned left and headed towards West Marton then cut across to Hellifield and up to Grassington, added around 30 minutes to the journey. Came back via Skipton to find the A59 still closed at 10pm, fortunately there's a new junction off the A629 so we came back through Carleton and past Wendy's. I've had a brew and I reckon it's bedtime now.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It sounds as though a trip to Harrogate is a major adventure these days!
I shan't be doing anything as adventurous. I shall be in the shed at 06:00 for an hour and after that my social calendar is empty..... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

That new road from the Skipton bypass to Carleton is quite useful Kev.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Good day yesterday . We spent some time and had lunch at the Railway museum. We then walked back into York in the rain in the direction of the Yorkshire museum but found it closed on Mondays, thus we did a bit of sight seeing and few snickleways on the way back to the bus. We have to be out of here by 10 today though we shall probably be out just after 9 , and will drive to the Park and Ride to go back in to York to find some that we have missed. Then its a late lunch and home. I hope to be back in time for Pilates and Yoga.

Have a good day all
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sounds like another good day in store Sue. I hope you have an uneventful journey back.

I trimmed the first side off the con rod foot using the set up I left you with yesterday. Then I marked the other side and took the bearing off so I could hold the foot in the mill vice while I trimmed the other side. I trimmed the foot back a bit in the lathe so I could get a full nut hold on the bolts and then built the bearing up on the crank pin and then attached the con rod to the crosshead. It was all a very close fit so I spent a few minutes easing and oiling until it was a perfect fit. The throw is about right but to make sure I shall take the register off the back lid. I ended up with it in the lathe ready to do this. A very good morning and everything is a good close fit. I have earned my breakfast!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Wendyf wrote: 26 Mar 2024, 06:34 That new road from the Skipton bypass to Carleton is quite useful Kev.
It is indeed Wendy :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

It's very handy if Heslaker Lane is flooded, however it does put you the wrong side of the Ramper which also has a tendency to flood up into Carleton. :extrawink:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I shall of course be in the shed this morning at 06:00 for an hour on my latest engine.
Hopefully after that a quieter day than yesterday. Rain forecast so I doubt if I shall have a walk.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I started the morning by refining the back lid, reducing the register on it and reducing the thickness a little. Then I shafted attention to the piston rod. It needed shortening 1/8" to make sure it's travel was equidistant from each end in the cylinder. Once that was done I packed the groove in the piston with steam packing and refitted the piston and rod. The rest of the hour and a half I spent in the shed this morning was spent on fitting the studs in the rear of the cylinder, putting the packing on the studs and mounting the back lid. I shall attend to the packing of the piston rod gland tomorrow.
I have one mishap to report. I dropped a grub screw out of a die holder and couldn't find it. I have a replacement and all I can do is hope the small screw turns up! Now for breakfast.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Our accommodation was lovely but it was so nice to sleep in our own bed last night, sleeping a solid 8+ hours. As Bob opened the curtains he saw the heron was standing in the shallow end of our pond, hopefully the fish were in the deep end.

Wendy the snickleways walk was interesting though sometimes those back alleys were not where you would normally walk. The book had advised you to walk with someone else and you could see why. It was amazing where you came out sometimes as they created quite a spiders web effect across the main streets.

Today I was due to have a sewing session with Maxine but it has been postponed for a week as she has shingles. Instead I shall iron and then take the day as it comes.

Have a good day all

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”