Today I shall be Mainly...

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Stanley »

Today I continued with cutting the meat out of the first shaft blank. The cutter performed far better and after cutting the blank down to 1/2" I cut out each side so that the result is that all that is left to deal with by eccentric turning is a piece approximately half an inch square. Then I set the next piece up ready for cutting tomorrow. Now for breakfast!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

What a simply awful day yesterday, hail, sleet, snow, rain, thunder, wind and if you didn’t blink a tiny hint of sun. Today is better but still not good. I kept looking at my beautiful cherry tree which came into full flower on Sunday. So far it has withstood the wind and rain but it won’t take another day of it . I sewed, did the ironing and some french, and eventually I did get a telephone consultation with a different GP. I was told anytime after 2.00 but it actually happened at 5.45 halfway through my yoga class. Its a good job I didn’t have to go any where, as I only use the house phone for such phone calls.

Today there are no plans except pilates and yoga in the studio. I doubt my prescription for my new statins will be ready, but there is no urgency.

Have a good day all
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You're right Sue. It was a lousy day. Today is looking a bi better but we are still getting the tail end of winter!
I'm glad you got your GP. I'm glad I don't need to contact mine.... My plan is to keep as far away from the surgery as possible.
I hope you have a good day..... :good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Up and having a brew after a good second sleep. I'm tempted to go for a short walk, it's bright out there. But it's still cold to my old bones! :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Stanley wrote: 16 Apr 2024, 09:54 Up and having a brew after a good second sleep. I'm tempted to go for a short walk, it's bright out there. But it's still cold to my old bones! :biggrin2:
It’s not bad in the sun Stanley, in fact there’s quite a bit of heat in it.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Once again I spoke too soon, we have had a really heavy hail shower.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

It's April - that's what it usualy does. Famous for it. . . :smile:

Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yes, I know I'm being a bit of a wimp. It looks as though it's going to be a re-run of yesterday so I promise I'll try to be brave!
I shall be in the shed at 06:00 pressing on with the second crankshaft. I should make better progress today as the cutter is working well. All my cutters are second hand out of the scrapyard and as they wear down they lose their temper, that's why I have to sharpen them so often. Not complaining though, over the years it has meant I have saved thousands of pounds. Justifying the £600 my Clarkson T&C Grinder cost me.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Ok day yesterday, any forecast rain was very brief indeed, sunny with a cold wind, much more seasonal. Today is due to be the same, though it is only 2 degrees out there at the moment. Yesterday morning we took flowers to the family grave at Burnley cemetery, being Mums birthday today. It was a very soggy , sorry spot indeed after the previous days rain but not as bad as expected. The daffodils planted there looked like there had been a good show.

This morning we will take the money from the little train to the bank and do our usual walk and coffee. This afternoon I am at Tod for the first u3a Local History group meeting which plans on being a research group. This evening is zoom pilates. I shall be watching ebay this week as last night we put on the 1885 + German sewing machine I renovated to full working order.

Have a good day all
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bright and cold here too Sue.

A simple task this morning, spend over an hour patiently cutting the middle out of the crankshaft blank. The cutter broke down during this stint and had to be attended to twice. It will need a complete refurb tomorrow.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Today I have mainly been spending the morning travelling to Skipton to get some new trainers. No mean feat today, the normally 25 minute bus journey took 1 hour and 5 minutes! Traffic was backed up to the Elslack road end roundabout onto the A59. Traffic lights when we got there were three way at the Bull and the junction to Gargrave. Lots of plant patching the potholes in the main carriageway. Through those but half a mile later by the lay-by in another queue for another three way set of light at the Air Bridge junction to Skipton. 10.18 bus got into Skipton at 11.25.

Got my trainers at Sports direct and came back to the bus station for the M6 or 280 whichever came first. M6 scheduled for 11.50 came at 12.10 and did a straight turn round instead of the normal 10 minutes on the stand. Lucky on the way back we were first in the queue at the Air Bridge and only had to wait for one change to get past the Gargrave junction at Broughton. Traffic was backed up to Sulphur Wells going the other way. So, only 20 minutes late back into Barlick.

Boiling spuds this afternoon for a meat and tatie pie. I already have the diced beef and onions from the last batch cook of the same, our Jack is coming round for tea. Mushy peas to accompany and the usual sides. Sally has made a bread and butter pudding for afters but with fruit loaf.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I bought my last pair of trainers from Boundary Mill, got a very good deal on them :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I was treated to lunch out at the Craven Heifer after a morning at Colne Library. It was very good indeed. :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Kev, do you mean the last pair you will ever buy?
Nice Wendy.... You perhaps deserved it.

I shall buy a woman lunch today when Susan accompanies me to Town Square to shop for veggies. Not sure if Mick is coming or not.
But first I shall go in the shed at 06:00, completely refurbish the 7/16" cutter, finish the current blank and set the next one up for shaving. By the time it starts raining this afternoon I will have had quite a full day.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I started the morning by doing a complete refurbishment of the long 7/16" cutter and taking a couple of cuts on the stock to finish that cut. Then I remounted it and used a much better, but shorter, 2 flute slot drill to cut the two small cuts of the flanks and as you can see I finished that blank. Then I put the third piece of stock in the mill and started cutting with the short 7/16" slot drill as it is so much better. I shall cut as deep as I can with this shorter cutter tomorrow and then finish the big cut with the longer but less efficient cutter. But now the task is breakfast!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Afternoon

I couldn’t get on this morning, the site wouldn’t open and I had to dash to get to art. This afternoon is a u3a talk on the archeology of medieval churches. Just about to leave

Have a good afternoon
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The site is so dreadfully slow I have had to modify my behaviour. It's a cooking day so I am doing my best with the site but preparing my chicken for roasting at the same time. I shall be in the shed at 06:00 as usual. The chicken will be ready to come out of the oven before second sleep and so I can start veggie cooking as soon as I get up.....
I can tell you the site is trying my patience!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Only one task. Make the major cut through the centre of the stock. I have had a chip chase and Tomorrow I shall sharpen both cutters and after measuring and marking will do the final two small cuts on either side of the metal left in for the crank pin.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Ah on at last. What a mess. Thanks Ian for restoring order
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's a bit of an improvement Ian! I have just finished cooking veggies. So, despite all the set-backs I got through all the tasks I had set myself today.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

At the moment I am posting what I can despite the awful delay on the site. Slightly better than yesterday in that up to now I haven't had a 502 gateway error notice!
I shall be in the shed at 06:00 and expect a visit from Susan and Mick this morning for a coffee. Apart from that the world is my oyster and I shall probably spend much of the day trying to post on the site.
Onward and upwards!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

No delay here Stanley.

This morning is Bacup market plus a trip to the PLANT DUDE for some compost and more plants then a drive down to B&Q in Bury to buy some paint for France. Our first trip of the year will be from the 29 th. A nice day is forecast so perhaps a bit of garden tidying. Have a good day all
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Funny how it came back to normal as soon as you and Wendy started posting...... Bit of discrimination? It has been dreadful all morning. Nice day for the market. I look forward to S&M visiting, I shall treat them to lunch in Town Square.....
No pics from the shed, they take too long to load. I have done an hour in the shed. First job was to sharpen both 7/16" cutters and then to finish cutting the last piece of stock. I now have three pieces of stock ready for eccentric turning in the lathe. I have put all my tackle away and cleaned up. Tomorrow I shall get set up for turning the crank pins.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I have said this before. Your morning Stanley is not the same as most other folks. You tend to be on the site during what is normally regarded as maintenance time by hosting providers. Without keeping the same hours as you I can't be certain but the logs don't support your experience of the site. It is working for everyone else as far as I am aware. Have you tried clearing the cache in your browser?
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I wouldn't know how to do that Ian but if it is something that I am triggering, why is it lightning fast this morning? As far as I am concerned the logs are lying, I have had two miserable mornings and only on our server at Ionos. I am having a very good morning today!
I shall be in the shed as usual and might mill the base for the next engine while I have the vise off the VM bed.
Here's yesterday's pic, three nascent crankshafts........

Lots of potential swarf to come!
As for the rest of the day, I might cook my savoury mince and there is always the small matter of my sweet potato chips..... :laugh5: But I think I'll leave them for tomorrow....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”