Today I shall be Mainly...

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Stanley »

Morning Sue, it complicates menu construction doesn't it when you have to cater for many people and have an empty fridge at the end of the stay. Rather you than me!
Nothing done in the shed as I have spent an hour looking for stock material that I am sure I have but is in hiding!
By the time I had spent an hour searching I was losing the will to live! Never mind, I will have a cleaner start in the morning.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Big Kev wrote: 28 Aug 2022, 21:51 Watching a Chinook fly over my house
Screenshot_20220828-224732_Flightradar24.jpg
It came low over us as well Kev, it woke me from a good sleep!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Wendyf wrote: 29 Aug 2022, 06:25
Big Kev wrote: 28 Aug 2022, 21:51 Watching a Chinook fly over my house
Screenshot_20220828-224732_Flightradar24.jpg
It came low over us as well Kev, it woke me from a good sleep!
We'd just got home from Colne, it was very low.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I shall have a better start in the shed today. I might make my own hexagon stock..... Nothing in the weather forecast militates against a walk and bookie watch so they are pencilled into the agenda. As for the rest of the day, let's see what comes......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

A good day yesterday, with some very astute shopping for food for the rest of the week. Today we are off to the small Isle d’ Arz in the Gulf of Morbihan, with lunch over there. Its a small island that you can walk all the way round in about 4 hours. Lots of contrasts, sandy beaches, marshes, cliffs. We love it but don’t go often . There is no transport and when our friends are here, Wendy is unable to get around.

That will be our day, enjoy yours
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"with some very astute shopping for food for the rest of the week" :biggrin2: I'll bet!.

This morning I made some hexagon bar and made the gland I needed. By the time it was fitted and the tools put away an hour and a quarter had slipped by. :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Following coffee and scones for elevenses we went for a walk. The reservoirs are certainly down a bit. The upper res either side of Brownhill Lane.
20220830_143330.jpg
20220830_143555.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I shall be in the shed watchmaking on the feed pump, slow but sure and no mistakes yet! Once again nothing in weather forecast to militate against walk and sit at midday. I don't remember the weather ever being this stable for so long.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'll bet Sue is posting as I write this..... :biggrin2:

Two more tiny fittings made for the feed pump. I am ready to make the flanges now for the two remaining outlets.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

What a fabulous day yesterday. Sun, sea and sand as they say and lots of walking. Bob and I must have walked over 5 miles along the lanes and coastline. It reached 34 degrees and there is no doubt I caught the sun. Thank goodness for the sun lotion we use or we would have been BBQd. We managed to catch the 10.10 ferry across to the island instead of the 11.20, and stayed until the 4.40 ferry back, arriving home just after 6.00 pm

Today they are all off to a lake with a beach and activities and taking a packed lunch. We are staying here. I shall do a bit of essential cleaning and start sorting my packing. We need to take the gazebo down once it is dry from the morning dew as the next few days are forecast showers and thunderstorms. At 10.00 our builder friend Paul is coming round to check on some work he is going to do for us in September/October. It is the last bit of real renovation work needed on the house. We have converted the old grain store into a store room and my art room, but the walls and ceiling need plaster-boarding and electricity put in. Paul is going to do that. Then we just need to decorate and put some sort of floor covering down.

Its BBQ tea tonight, the last meal outside I think , then we shall start putting all the garden furniture away over the next few days between showers. Have a good day all.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Morning Sue, I beat you by a short head this morning..... :biggrin2:
I hope you get your stuff put away while it is dry.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley wrote: 31 Aug 2022, 06:17 Morning Sue, I beat you by a short head this morning..... :biggrin2:
I hope you get your stuff put away while it is dry.....
Yes you did, late sleep after yesterdays fresh air. You beat me second time too :laugh5:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I shall be in the shed working on a funny little pair of flanges that are going to be very fiddly. Never mind, it all passes the time! Nothing in the forecast to stop a late morning/midday walk and sit.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Bob and I had a fairly relaxed day round the house and garden yesterday, pottering doing jobs. The gazebo is down and put away and we managed to tidy up some of the wood from the demolished trees to reveal the stumps of the old hedge, now sprouting, which hopefully will grow to hide the mass of wood and branches. It was very warm indeed. Julia and family spent the whole day at a leisure complex at a lake nearby getting back here at 6.00 pm just as the thunderstorm hit. Not much thunder but lots of rain which continued through the night. In fact the only dry day in the next week appears to be Saturday....I think its an indication that it is time to come home. So it looks like Saturday is the day to get the garden furniture in and put away. The heat and tiredness got to Briony as she was sick twice after going to bed. Poor thing, she was really upset. Anyway she has been ok during the night and the next few days will be less active with a bit of sight seeing.

Today we shall stay here , they are off to see the chateau at Josselin if B is ok. We have to go to the Mayors office to take a letter, and post another one. Our treeman has written us a report at our request about a tree facing our house. It is in a bad state like ours was and if it falls it will fall on to our house taking out the power lines too. We have received advice from our builder friend Paul on how to report it such that our neighbour over the road must have it taken down. We hate doing this but a bad storm could wreck our house.

So another quiet day for us, we may try to get to see Roland too by just calling in. Have a good day all
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That sounds worrying Sue. You've got no other choice but to report the tree. I hope it leads to some action. I'm sure you have realised that if the worst happened you have evidence that you have flagged up the danger.
Straight into making two small flanges this morning. Tomorrow I shall finish getting the shape into them and then cut them out of the casting and adjust the thickness. Slow but steady and the limiting factor is pain in my shoulder. I can do just over an hour and then I have to stop.

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley wrote: 01 Sep 2022, 06:38 That sounds worrying Sue. You've got no other choice but to report the tree. I hope it leads to some action. I'm sure you have realised that if the worst happened you have evidence that you have flagged up the danger.
We have been advised to take our own copy and have it stamped at the Mairie and to send the neighbour a ‘signed for’ letter
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Sue wrote: 01 Sep 2022, 06:07 Our treeman has written us a report at our request about a tree facing our house. It is in a bad state like ours was and if it falls it will fall on to our house taking out the power lines too. We have received advice from our builder friend Paul on how to report it such that our neighbour over the road must have it taken down. We hate doing this but a bad storm could wreck our house.
Sue, check your insurance. Our neighbours tree, 60 beech, fell on our garden, we were only covered for damage to buildings which included the adjoining fence but not any edging or plants etc. Fortunately we could claim on our own insurance I hate to think of the problems if we had to rely on their insurance. Initially their insurance said 'nothing to do with us' and as far as I know that's how it stood.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The advice Sue and Bob have had seems sound to me. They must have evidence that there was a danger and that the neighbour has been made aware of it. The Duty of Care will have been made clear.
I shall be in the shed working on my tiny glands.... Then early doors shopping at 07:00 and on with the day. The weather looks OK so walk and sit should be on!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

I take your points, however insurance is a legal requirement in France. You have to insure before you finish the buying transaction. We are covered we are sure, no doubt she is too, but what we are trying to do is stir her into action. Our concern is about our house being badly damaged. Yesterday we delivered our letter and report to the mayor’s office in the commune she lives in and today we will deliver the same letter to the Mayors office of the commune we live in( the border between the two is our road). We will post a registered letter to our neighbour on Saturday so she gets it when we have gone home on Monday. That way we prevent any french ravings at us. She is a nice lady, very reserved and not well off. She probably can’t afford to have the tree cut down, but may be able to apply to the mayors office for support whom we have told of the situation. We will have done all we can and hope there isn’t a bad enough storm to bring it down.

Otherwise yesterday was nicer than expected but poor Briony was still under the weather having been sick several times during the night. By afternoon she felt better so they all went out to the town of Rochefort en Terre, and I gather thoroughly I enjoyed their visit. Today is a cloudy showery day. This morning may be a market visit, this afternoon a visit to an interesting place called , translated, THE POET IN IRON. I will find a link for you .

Have a good day all
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Here it is, fascinating place. We have been a few times

https://www.poeteferrailleur.com/
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Morning Sue. I have done an hour on the pump and the early doors shopping as well. I have put the shopping away. started cooking a casserole full of half price smoky chicken legs and here's a pic showing what I did in the hour.... Quiet and slow but it's all progress!

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Well that was a quick reaction. Two representatives of the mayors office in our neighbours commune came round to assess the tree at 6.00 pm this evening, and a Friday at that, only 36 hours since we took the letter round.

They seem happy that it is safe, so we have decided not to contact the neighbour or the other mayors office. If it does come down now, well its their problem in a way as they have said it is safe. Lets hope so !
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You've done all you can do Sue.
I shall be aiming for the shed but I am up late and there is a lot of cooking to do so I'm not sure about the day. The weather is changing, today is supposed to be dry but we'll see later.
Later.... the cooking has won! The shed can wait until tomorrow, nowt wrong with a day off!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Well the rain was not too bad yesterday, heavy then sun etc. Today is due to be drier which is good as I need to change and wash our bedding before our return on Monday. Tomorrow Julia and family depart, I think I will have to take their bedding home with us as more rain is forecast. Anyway, today being their last day we are going out to lunch at our favourite crêperie. I had promised to do a bit of painting in oils with B on a wet day, but the wettest day was when she was ill, so we will have to squeeze it in today, then I need to empty my art room ready for the work Paul is going to do later this month. So a busy day today and another tomorrow.

Have a good day all.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's all go Sue!
Today I shall be in the shed as all the cooking is done, nothing to get in my way. Not clear yet what the weather will be like around midday, I shall decide on a walk and a sit then.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”