Today I shall be Mainly...

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Tizer »

That's great Sue, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. It has been going for a long time and is much respected by both professional and amateur archaeologists, and people like me who just find it all fascinating. It was Mrs Tiz who subscribed because she has a stronger interest in the subject than I do, but once I started reading the magazine I couldn't stop. It's worth having for Chris Catling's `Sherds' column alone! :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Christmas shopping! What is wrong with me? I'm in the middle of moving house :laugh5:

It was only a quick online shop off the back of an email offer, that's two offspring sorted.

Bah! Humbug! :santa2: :santa2: :santa2: :santa2: :santa2: :santa2: :santa2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Bosom Friends Trustees meeting tonight.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sue, a good and clear account of the problems enforced Partiple Inheritance can produce. In theory it is fair and a good protective measure but in practice it divides too much especially when exposed to the regrettable acquisitive tendencies of some inheritors.
Shopping day and a bit of work on my cylinder.
Nobody expects Xmas presents from me now which is as it should be! Susan is knitting me some bedsocks....
I might buy myself one small present.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

What will you buy yourself? ( what do you fancy?)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I don't know Maz. It will only happen if I fancy something. Almost certainly a small item for the shed.... I half fancy a set of Allen keys with plastic handles. (I know, but small things amuse small minds...)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Big Kev wrote: 21 Nov 2019, 17:23 Christmas shopping! What is wrong with me? I'm in the middle of moving house :laugh5:

It was only a quick online shop off the back of an email offer, that's two offspring sorted.

Bah! Humbug! :santa2: :santa2: :santa2: :santa2: :santa2: :santa2: :santa2:
I did my Christmas cards yesterday. It rained here all day so a good day to clear off jobs. I Christmas shop all year. If I see something suitable for someone I buy it, that way I don’t pay the inflated Christmas prices. On this trip we are returning via Gloucester to deliver and collect some presents, it saves on postage or another trip south. I think apart from wrapping, the cards and presents are now dealt with and as we are away at Julias food shopping sill be limited.

Love the magazine Tiz, half way through it

No plans for today, take it as it comes
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Household duties got in the way of the shed yesterday, I am hoping to do better today!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Shopping today, ready for our return. The neighbours are coming round this evening for a couple of hours for a a drink and a chat. We plan on having lunch out

Yesterday we went to see Roland, he has a couple of items of new furniture as his was too large to take with him to his new smaller home. It made the house look more homely. He was very chatty but there was no update on his position. He has promised to email when he gets his computer set up, which his niece is sorting for him.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I wish Roland all the best and would be pleased if you could convey my best wishes to him Sue.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley wrote: 23 Nov 2019, 07:16 I wish Roland all the best and would be pleased if you could convey my best wishes to him Sue.
Will do when we are next in touch
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Aiming for the shed after some serious cooking!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Changing the bed, Washing, packing, and a visit to La Gacilly where it is the fete de soupe. We pay 5 euros for a small bowl and wander round the town drinking free soup, made by shopkeepers, clubs, associations and schools. Its good fun and filling. You vote on the best but I think the winner is announced next week. In all there are about 50 different soups. Some good some very baaaaaaad! We usually manage about 15. You only get a small taste of each so it is equivalent to a large bowl of soup at lunchtime. We often meet quite a few people we know.

Our little soiree with the neighbours went well, there were 6 adults, 5 children and a baby. All very well behaved. Between us we consumed about 20 sausage rolls, 1 apple tart, 1 chocolate gateaux, two plates of amuse bouches (canapés) three packets of crisps, 1 packet of peanuts, two packets of cocktail savoury nibbles, and one packet of small cocktail cheeses, several beers, cider and coca cola and finally coffee. There was nothing left, thank goodness as most of it would not keep and we are not going to be here to eat it. It was a good way to conclude our last visit of the year. The children are all so well behaved, and tidied up all the games etc that I had left out for them. They were a little confused by the game of Ludo I had left out , but Laetitia recognised it.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Sue wrote: 24 Nov 2019, 07:07 ....several beers, cider and coca cola and finally coffee.
And I suppose the WINE was safely locked up in the car boot. For medicinal purposes only of course.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I had wine , but our neighbours all seem to like beer. I had cider at lunchtime when we went out for lunch.

The house is all tidy, the packing done, just got towels to wash in the morning after our showers. Its been a quick week. In fact its been a quick 10 days, Eve is on her way back from Japan and is actually in Paris at the moment. She is due home just after 7.00pm. I am sure she will have loads to tell everyone but tonight will be feeling rather tired after her long trip home. She doesn’t have to go to school tomorrow, recovery time.

I am having a glass of wine now don’t want to leave any open bottles when we go home😆
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Love the fete de soupe Sue. What a good idea! We should have one in Barlick.
I missed with the shed yesterday, house keeping and cooking ate the time. My aim is to get in there this morning but I am badly out of routine as my internet was AWOL until 6AM. We'll see....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

https://www.ouest-france.fr/bretagne/la ... rs-6623010

This is our local school. We thought they were the best. Brocoli and cream cheese soup. How is your french.... otherwise rather a lot of pumpkin and curry

Les enfants sont aussi à la fête et apportent leur grain de sel, mais point trop n’en faut. Trois écoles étaient d’ailleurs en « compétition ». « On défend nos titres depuis trois ans, sourit M. Lubry, de l’école Saint-Jugon, de La Gacilly. Mais l’important est ailleurs, car cela permet à nos enfants de participer à un projet ludique, en abordant des thèmes comme les produits de saison ou l’équilibre alimentaire, tout en s’amusant. »
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not good enough!
Shed fell by the wayside yesterday but better prospects this morning as no cooking for 3 days and as you can see I am connected this morning. I have a cylinder on the boil!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Sue wrote: 25 Nov 2019, 16:14 https://www.ouest-france.fr/bretagne/la ... rs-6623010

This is our local school. We thought they were the best. Brocoli and cream cheese soup. How is your french.... otherwise rather a lot of pumpkin and curry

Les enfants sont aussi à la fête et apportent leur grain de sel, mais point trop n’en faut. Trois écoles étaient d’ailleurs en « compétition ». « On défend nos titres depuis trois ans, sourit M. Lubry, de l’école Saint-Jugon, de La Gacilly. Mais l’important est ailleurs, car cela permet à nos enfants de participer à un projet ludique, en abordant des thèmes comme les produits de saison ou l’équilibre alimentaire, tout en s’amusant. »
Children are also at the fete and doing their bit. Three schools were “the best in the competition” . ‘We must defend our title of the last three years’ smiled Mr Lubry, of the Saint Jugon school of La Gacilly. ‘But more important is for the children to participate in a playful project whilst covering themes like seasonal products and the health of the intestine, and above all enjoying themselves’

Gosh my geordie, welsh french teacher would have been proud of me! I did link to the English version of the whole article but the Link seems to have reverted back to French. You can convert and translate at the top of the article.

We stayed in Portsmouth last night. Today we will pop into Gloucester to see our niece and brother in law then home in time for a relaxing pilates and yoga session.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I am doing better this morning. Just off into the shed!
Thanks for the translation Wendy. I envy and admire your fluency.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Definitely not me!
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I'm a fan of google translate - any language, and instantaneous. I keep it close to hand. Here's what they make of it. No intestines here. :smile:

Children are also at the party and bring their grain of salt, but not too much. Three schools were in "competition". "We've been defending our titles for three years," smiles Mr. Lubry, of Saint-Jugon School, La Gacilly. But the important thing is elsewhere, because it allows our children to participate in a fun project, addressing topics such as seasonal products or balanced diet, while having fun. "
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

It was me Stanley
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Tripps wrote: 26 Nov 2019, 10:13 I'm a fan of google translate - any language, and instantaneous. I keep it close to hand. Here's what they make of it. No intestines here. :smile:

Children are also at the party and bring their grain of salt, but not too much. Three schools were in "competition". "We've been defending our titles for three years," smiles Mr. Lubry, of Saint-Jugon School, La Gacilly. But the important thing is elsewhere, because it allows our children to participate in a fun project, addressing topics such as seasonal products or balanced diet, while having fun. "
Grain of salt etc. is a phrase with no literal translation like our throw in the towel giving our penneth worth etc. Health of intestine and balanced diet Are both used for that phrase interchangeable but I do prefer balanced diet in this case. its not party but a fete or a festival. Google translate does not pick up the nuances of the language.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Sue wrote: 26 Nov 2019, 12:11 Health of intestine and balanced diet Are both used for that phrase.
/quote] I was beginning to think it was just one of those Gallic obsessions equivalent to our 'have you been'? or has constipation medication taken a back seat?

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”