POLITICS CORNER

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: POLITICS CORNER

Post by Stanley » 17 May 2018, 04:16

I totally agree P. Every time a franchise is taken back temporarily into public care performance and profit improves but time and time again political dogma forces them back into another flawed franchise. Meanwhile the taxpayer and the travellers pay the fat salaries you refer to and make up the shortfall. I have a lot of sympathy with Labour proposals to allow these franchises to wither on the vine and take them back into state control as they die.
As for Grayling, he has the reverse of the Midas touch, everything he is associated with goes wrong. Look at his record......
May makes announcements and pledges on non Brexit matters while crossing her fingers behind her back.... We sink slowly into the 19th century, the Grand Plan is working!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 18 May 2018, 06:09

See THIS for the latest fluttering in the dovecote at Westminster. John Bercow is in trouble again for calling Andrea Leadsom a 'stupid woman'. I don't condone this but have to admit I do not have a high opinion of her.
Meanwhile T May gets another lesson in Irish politics, she is told in no uncertain terms that her proposed solutions won't work.
Does anyone else get the impression that THE ROYAL WEDDING is being used as a diversionary tactic?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques » 18 May 2018, 07:02

There seems to be a bit of doubt what Mr Bercow actually said. The alleged comments are reported by a Tory MP. Mrs Leadsom apparently didn't hear them although she was sat a few feet away. The Commons microphones should be able to settle this matter.
Prince Harry is playing a blinder. Wedding in the early afternoon, then off to the footy match, then a booze up at night. Get this man in parliament we can do with someone who gets their priorities right.

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 19 May 2018, 04:00

M y house is a nuptial free zone......
I don't think Bercow is a nice man anyway but have no interest in yet another Tory spat. A symptom of a party on borrowed time.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 20 May 2018, 04:09

Yesterday was a politics-free day apart from T May elevating nine Tory peers. The Romans used bread and circuses to divert public attention and I reckon that yesterday's shenanigans at Windsor were seen as handy by the government. However, I always listen to the Westminster Hour on R4 on Saturday and yesterday was instructive. Reading between the lines the situation is even worse than we thought, apart from the internal troubles in the Tory Party the two 'solutions' that are being debated are both anathema to the EU and it looks as though May is relying on the "Be reasonable, see it my way" principle. A very weak reed.....
We live in interesting times, the next few months are going to be a rocky ride in Parliament and there is no clear outcome. It's a bit of a bloody mess. Let's not forget the bloke who was the architect......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 22 May 2018, 04:01

In the absence of any hard information all we can do is examine the runes and try to work out what's actually happening. These vary from warnings that Italy is heading for the EU escape hatch and mutterings from Scotland and Northern Ireland about secession.
Things have not been made any clearer by THIS intervention by that master politician, Michael Gove. He warns about 'identity politics' but denies that the Brexiteers are guilty of this. Really? I was under the impression that as far as he, Johnson, Rudd and Hunt are concerned it was all about identity and who would be the next Leader of the Tories. It appears I have been mistaken......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 22 May 2018, 07:06

I've been listening to Michael Gove being interviewed on Today..... It's no secret hat I dislike this man and don't trust him but you have to hand it to him, he is an expert at managing to speak seemingly with complete authority and convey absolutely nothing concrete! On air pollution he was asked why independent questions to the ministry responsible reveal that virtually all that is being done is to tighten the regulations on the sale of new stoves. As for other high levels of pollution, simples! They have passed the buck to local authorities without mentioning any funding for enforcement.
On Brexit he was asked how long any 'settling in period' would be under whatever the new customs arrangements would be. He completely dodged the question. Truly, the very essence of modern political communication.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 23 May 2018, 03:10

Any guesses what the next distraction will be that's presented to us to keep our minds off Brexit?
This caught my eye in the Telegraph..... Environment Secretary Michael Gove has accused Chancellor Philip Hammond of being "short-sighted" over Brexit in a letter to Cabinet colleagues, the Daily Telegraph reports. The prominent Brexiteer has blamed the Treasury for a defeat in the House of Lords last week which could force the government to retain EU environmental protections after Brexit. No evidence of consultation but plenty that hostilities inside the Cabinet are alive and well.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques » 23 May 2018, 07:22

Mrs May's proposal for some 'back stop' deal to keep the Northern Ireland border problem quiet in the event of a hard Brexit has bit the dust. Her proposal was total nonsense, It was supposed to only be in place until something better came along. A bit like only waiting for a bus until the next one came. Anyone with half a brain wouldn't accept an open ended proposal like this as the basis for an international agreement. Never mind she has another 10 months to sort it out. The clock is ticking.

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 24 May 2018, 03:08

Never mind she has another 10 months to sort it out.
My understanding is that this has to be sorted by the EU minister's meeting in October as one of the three pre-conditions for the actual talks to get under way. Also, the June White Paper is only a proposal for a basis for talks, not a substantive proposal to be voted on. General opinion seems to be that both propositions are administrative nightmares and need infrastructure that can't possibly be in place in time. Did you see the man from HMRC who told the Brexit Committee that Max Fac would cost industry between £17billion and £20billion a year? This isn't looking like the Bojo/Gove vision of the resurgence of Empire, more like the Fall of Rome!
Since 2010 there hasn't been a single successful policy in any area of governance and this is looking like the biggest disaster of them all.
I note that our new Home Secretary tried to convince the police yesterday that he was on their side.... Their response was to say that when May was Home Secretary she told them to stop whingeing and that the melt down in policing they forecast under reduced budgets was nonsense. Now it turns out the police were dead right. Despite all protestations to the contrary, the cuts have led directly to an overall rise in crime and lower rates of investigation and detection.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques » 24 May 2018, 08:01

Headlines today. 'The NHS will require an extra £2000 per year from each household to meet the future commitments'. Link. These costs appear to be end values in 15 years time. But meanwhile we have to increase funding by the 'Battle Bus' promises (£350M / week) to maintain standards. The crunch is that as people live longer their likelihood of being hospitalized also increases. The question is are we being buttered up for more privatization?

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 25 May 2018, 02:54

That's my fear as well P but I have an idea May has realised that if the Tories go down in history as the party that killed the NHS they will never hold power again. Of course it needs funding! We will never notice the extra tax. We've survived austerity so far which is equally damaging to domestic incomes.....
Trump and Kim are not going to meet. So what's changed?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 25 May 2018, 06:36

Later, after reading the BET..... Local politics... I see the new Tory controlled Council (Because they reinstated a councillor under investigation and suspended for racial comments) is shouting about selling off the family silver. There's a good letter from Tony Greaves pointing out why it would be a very expensive policy.
Stephenson's report from the house which, on the basis of one dodgy statistic from a Tory controlled think tank, informs us that the economy is booming and there are less low paid workers. Really? How does he explain the other evidence on the rise of use of food banks, homeless families and rough sleepers? He lives in a parallel universe where 'the truth' lies in the 'news' he is handed from Central Office.
See THIS Guardian report on the EU saying that current proposals re breaking the log jam in the Brexit negotiations are 'fantasy'. Oh dear.......
Also see THIS breaking news in the Guardian about Mark Carney, the BofE and the impact of possibly dire GDP figures this morning. But Mr Stephenson says everything is fine......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”