POLITICS CORNER

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: POLITICS CORNER

Post by Stanley » 14 Oct 2018, 02:29

I don't see a direct parallel with the Millennium Bug. That was governed by the laws of physics.... Brexit is uncontrolled at the moment because nobody has any idea of what the deal is going to be. Consequently everyone has to work on Worst Case. A lot of money is being spent to counter unknown unknowns..... This in itself is causing damage already and even if we finish up with everything we want and a brown paper bag to take it away, damage has been done. Not least to trust and confidence.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer » 14 Oct 2018, 09:38

And there won't be any going back once we're out of the EU. We've let them down, Perfidious Albion once again, waving two fingers at them. Just when we should be building stronger relationships with our neighbours.

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 15 Oct 2018, 01:54

Quite Tiz. And can you just imagine Raab with Barnier yesterday..... Did he really think an hour of conversation was going to break any log jams? I have an idea that the EU are settled on their version of the deal. Wenesday is going to be an interesting day!
Never forget how all this started........
Later news is that the negotiators in Brussels were reaching an agreement but T May wouldn't have it so she sent Raab to Brussels to kybosh the deal.... This seems to be correct. We are also told that the Raab/Barnier meeting was bad tempered.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 16 Oct 2018, 03:48

T May had a bad day yesterday, I haven't a lot of sympathy for her. As Richard forecast a long time ago, the EU is being blamed for obstructing our perfectly reasonable plans. It must be serious as the Wednesday EU meeting to dot 'i's and cross 't's has been cancelled and word is that the November meeting is being re-jigged from a formal acceptance of the UK deal to discussions about emergency EU arrangements if we crash out.
May indicates that she goes to Brussels on Wednesday to 'put our strong case' to the EU. It didn't go down well at Strasbourg..... Tin Hat Time?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer » 16 Oct 2018, 08:42

Philip Aldrick reports in The Times on the annual IMF meeting held in Bali. Little was said about Brexit except that the ministers from other countries don't regard it as very important. Instead all the talk was about trade agreements, the US and China - this causes them the most concern because they can see us all moving towards a crash. A couple of other points caught my interest, especially on the increasing domination by the US in its attempt to hold off China. First, the US, Canada and Mexico have signed a new trade agreement (the USCMA) to replace NAFTA. Under the USCMA Canada and Mexico have had to agree not to sign any trade agreements with China without US approval. Second, under USCMA Canada and Mexico must allow the US to have control of digital data (apparently because that's where the big tech companies are). Now, think what that means for the UK after Brexit when we go to the US to make a trade agreement.

Tripps

Post by Tripps » 16 Oct 2018, 13:54

Maria Miller MP has just ' called for' Mr Speaker to quit. That's a bit rich isn't it? :smile:

Look at this-

Maria Miller

Maria Miller.jpg
By this stage in the resignation process - I'm usually saying 'he'll be gone by weekend'

I don't think it'll happen here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Born to be mild. . .

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 17 Oct 2018, 02:07

The revelation that the Commons is a hide-bound, antediluvian institution that encourages some Members to act like tin pot gods and abuse their staff came as a complete surprise to me...
Tiz, the bottom line is that there is a full blown state of war out there in the higher reaches of the financial system, everyone clawing advantage out of everyone else. A long way from mutually dependent barter arrangements in peasant societies where it all started. I think there is little doubt we are heading for another market crash and it could be closer than anyone thought.
From the announcement from Junker and Barnier that T May has been told she must present new proposals today I can only deduce that they are not going to move and she has two options, blow a fuse and refuse or come back with a 'deal' that will cause everyone else to blow a fuse. In other words SNAFU!!
What a bloody mess!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques » 17 Oct 2018, 07:39

Stanley wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 02:07
Members to act like tin pot gods
Its the old problem... 'There's nothing wrong with a system that put ME at the top.
Why do I get the feeling that Mrs May is on a hiding to nothing, The Brexiters are making the situation that bad that they hope she will resign and hand the Premiership to one of their members. The alternative is that they will arrange a vote of no confidence in which case its a general election. As most pundits now forecast will probably mean Jeremy Corbyn and a Labour government. A fate worse than death if the rightwing Tory papers are to be believed. Meanwhile the Country goes to the dogs which is OK as long as it doesn't affect the top 5%.

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 18 Oct 2018, 02:50

In the absence of a miracle all we can do now is wait. One consequence of course is that time is too short now to do any of the work needed when we eventually know the size of the rabbit which looks like December. They all go off for Xmas then and it begins to look like a stay of execution for a while so at least another year of Brexit domination.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 19 Oct 2018, 03:49

I watched the news last night and my amateur conclusion is that when T May gets back and comes clean about the further concessions she has been forced to take by Brussels the Tory Party will implode and change leaders in mid stream. The change will be disastrous. The Opposition will explode and go for an election. We live in interesting and dangerous times......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”