POLITICS CORNER

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: POLITICS CORNER

Post by Stanley »

Strikes are direct action Peter. At the very least they give the government a nudge to remind them that the people aren't as quiescent as the proverbial mushroom bed. Sometimes when they throw shit at them they chuck it back!
Truss continues to bang on about tax cuts helping in the fight against inflation. Tell that to people who don't pay tax! She continues to pander to the blue rinse Tory voters who decide this farce of an election. The rest of the world must be looking on in wonder as we blunder on making political mistake after political mistake. This lot aren't qualified to run a booze up in a brewery!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote: 27 Aug 2022, 02:47 Strikes are direct action Peter.
Yes, against themselves and the rest of the public, which stirs up resentment. Better to band together and take a leaf out of Trump's play book and set up their own social media platform, TV & radio programmes. Counter the stuff put out by the Mail and Express, educate and fire up the young to contact their MPs. It's time to `strike' 21st Century style! :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You're probably right Peter but would that be as enthusiastically supported by the members? They are working on a far more visceral level, they see their lives being badly affected by issues and want to feel they are actually fighting back.
The people who resent their actions evidently have-not realised how serious the situation is. I think they would probably sing a different tune if they saw their wages and conditions eroded as much as the strikers. People have to be pretty desperate to strike, they have reached the end of their patience. Withdrawing their labour is the only weapon they have.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Later.... I see that Johnson promises us that we will emerge from the coming crisis more prosperous.
I wonder what he can produce to justify that statement.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote: 28 Aug 2022, 02:52 You're probably right Peter but would that be as enthusiastically supported by the members? They are working on a far more visceral level, they see their lives being badly affected by issues...
It would be as enthusiastically supported by the members if they had good leadership and full explanation of the reasons for the strategy. And the majority of other, non-striking workers are on a visceral level and see their lives being badly affected by issues but also have to contend with the chaos caused by the striking workers.
Stanley wrote: 28 Aug 2022, 02:52 The people who resent their actions evidently have-not realised how serious the situation is. I think they would probably sing a different tune if they saw their wages and conditions eroded as much as the strikers.
I'm sure most workers now realise how serious the situation is and many of them earn less than the strikers.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Each to his own Peter. I shall continue to support the strikers right to withdraw their labour and Starmer would do well to do the same.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

There isn't any politics to report, everything is on hold in the zombie Parliament until the Tories announce their new leader.
When you realise that this is the equivalent of nobody at the helm of the ship of state as we sail into a hurricane this is barking mad....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

My close friend in the Republic of Ireland watches from afar - and her email today shows that she feels just the same as we do about Truss, the Tories, the long drawn out leadership campaign and the general state of the UK. And there is something symbolic about one of our two supposedly state of the art aircraft carriers `broken down' before it even got out of sight of Portsmouth.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Have a look at THIS latest report from Navy Lookout. This could be a bit more serious than they are letting on and is very embarrassing. The ship is at anchor and being inspected by naval divers. It looks as though they had this fault in the starboard propulsion units when they left port.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Does that mean it can only go round in clockwise circles (the ship, not the government (on the other hand ...)) Shades of the Navy Lark being too true to life
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"Soaring energy bills could be the "straw that finally breaks the camel's back" for small businesses, former chancellor Alistair Darling has warned."
Out politics at the moment consists mainly of bleeding obvious statements like this. I think we knew that!
Later we got news that The Rt Hon Nadhim Zahawi MP our chancellor of the exchequer for at least this week, has gone off an a jolly to a talk fest in NY on inflation. Quite a few raised eyebrows and comments that there is plenty to do here without trolling off to the US.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Stanley wrote: 30 Aug 2022, 02:32 "Soaring energy bills could be the "straw that finally breaks the camel's back" for small businesses, former chancellor Alistair Darling has warned."
Out politics at the moment consists mainly of bleeding obvious statements like this. I think we knew that!
Its been obvious for some time on OG that if you pull out the foundation stone of an economy, the worker. then the whole building comes tumbling down. Simple really, pay the worker nowt then he doesn't buy anything. The retailer can't sell anything and doesn't buy from the wholesaler. The wholesaler stops buying from the manufacturer so they stop making things for the home market. The export market isn't big enough without the home market, manufacturing stops. Exports stop resulting in less profit and tax coming into the country. Therefore pay the workers less ..... There's a hole in my bucket dear Liza dear Liza.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

`Liz Truss accused of ‘running scared’ after pulling out of BBC interview: Truss now likely to become prime minister without undergoing a single set-piece grilling on TV or radio' Guardian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Tizer wrote: 30 Aug 2022, 10:34 `Liz Truss accused of ‘running scared’ after pulling out of BBC interview: Truss now likely to become prime minister without undergoing a single set-piece grilling on TV or radio' Guardian
I heard that her advisers have told her to not say or do anything until the next general election :upside_down:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

She's doing `a Boris' - hey, perhaps she's Boris in disguise! :surprised:
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

plaques wrote: 30 Aug 2022, 07:27
Stanley wrote: 30 Aug 2022, 02:32 "Soaring energy bills could be the "straw that finally breaks the camel's back" for small businesses, former chancellor Alistair Darling has warned."
Its been obvious for some time on OG that if you pull out the foundation stone of an economy, the worker. then the whole building comes tumbling down. Simple really, pay the worker nowt then he doesn't buy anything. The retailer can't sell anything and doesn't buy from the wholesaler. The wholesaler stops buying from the manufacturer so they stop making things for the home market. The export market isn't big enough without the home market, manufacturing stops. Exports stop resulting in less profit and tax coming into the country. Therefore pay the workers less ..... There's a hole in my bucket dear Liza dear Liza.
Shouldn't that be Dear Liz ?

Its the bit about Capitalism I never understood ( likewise the present cure for the present inflation of costs ).
Truss's idea that british workers are lazy (and Therese Coffey has put some kind of universal credit change on looking for work in), seems more out of touch, while I know that there is SOME manufacturing in the UK, it is not in great quantities of output or employment.

I did ask (probably in Climate forum), when the hosepipe bans would kick in ( as expected just before the rain starts - though it has been little and remains patchy). I now ask, when will the Three Day Week begin - to save Energy. Our days of retiring to the pub for a pint in the evening stretched out as long as possible while the raging log fire keeps us warm are gone to. Back to the '70s it looks like.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"perhaps she's Boris in disguise!"
I think you're right Peter but she doesn't realise it, she thinks she's Thatcher.
Another week before we have a PM and until then the screams of pain from those already suffering from the price rises are deafening but the Tories don't hear them, or if they do they ignore them.
THIS is what passes for reporting on politics. The same headlines as yesterday. Nothing is happening and now we even have Truss refusing to be subjected to a direct interview. How can that be possible? Is she not accountable to us? Politics is broken.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I watched some of the final hustings at Wembley. Not for too long though. . . :smile:

Liz Truss said

"We must deliver and deliver and deliver. . .

I went to a Leeds comprehensive school. I saw some children being let down. Let down by low expectations because of the area of the city they lived in. Let down by by Leeds City Council who cared more for political correctness than making sure all the children understood English and Maths. Let down by lack of opportunity in the area, That waste of talent was wrong - that's why I'm in politics."

"I want us to be an 'INSPIRATION NATION' ". (Ed note - what's that?)

It's very hard to understand how she managed to get to Oxford, and subsequently become Prime Minister after such a poor start in life at such a school. I wonder how other former pupils got on in life. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS BBC report of her promises at the hustings last night. Basically no new taxes and perhaps 'handouts' and definitely no fuel rationing.
Action on taxes only benefits those in the tax system, the poorest people aren't affected or helped. She has no choice about direct subsidies. If she doesn't give them there will be social unrest like you have never seen before. As for fuel rationing, she will have no control, that is a matter of supply and demand and if the market decides to manage consumption to keep gas flowing and the lights on there is nothing she can do about it.
Thank God we are nearing the end of this farcical process. Remember how they abandoned effective governance in order to fulfil personal ambition. Remember also the guilty, and include Cameron and Osborne as the worst effects of Brexit become clear.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Later..... Sarah Palin has been beaten by her Democrat opponent despite being endorsed by Donald Trump.
That's nice.... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Asked if she could pledge not to introduce new taxes if she wins power, she replied: "Yes, no new taxes."

They could always be old taxes but bigger,
She has also claimed that not having the detailed information from the Treasury until she becomes PM she can't formulate any plans. The country will have to wait until Sept 5th then she will plead its being drawn up, to avoid Starmer asking awkward questions, then after two weeks its conference recess time when they will probably come out to great applause and cheering and in truth being totally useless and far too late. Crisis what crisis? Or to follow the old adage.. If you don't know what to do act numb.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote: 01 Sep 2022, 04:07 Later..... Sarah Palin has been beaten by her Democrat opponent despite being endorsed by Donald Trump.
That's nice.... :biggrin2:
That's good to hear. There had been increased criticism of her and she seems to have fallen from favour.

Telegraph front page this morning....`Truss hints she may axe motorway speed limits'. Heaven help us! On the other hand, `Truss will look to scrap smart roads'. But it's all `hints' and `look to' and reeks of populism.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

The term Warm Banks has entered general use to accompany Food Banks.

They are seen as a possible solution to the coming apocalypse of the energy bills. I have little doubt they will be a failure, having not quite been thought through. How do all the pensioners with limited mobility get to and from the 'bank'? Are they open in the evenings? Who will staff them? Will they be able to watch Countdown, and Dickenson's Real Deal? Are the toilets adequate? Are the guests fed, or do the have to take sandwiches ?

Lets not be too negative though - this might work. Here's a place well used to catering for large numbers of people in comfort. Open at irregular hours, with good numbers of staff, and with adequate facilities for the welfare and feeding of a large number of senior citizens. Some say the whole building is full of hot air. I speak of course of the Houses of Parliament.

This is the latest menu I can find for the dining room - it's about a year old but seems remarkable value. Few would refuse such hospitality.

Come one come all . . . .
mdr-main-06.09.21.pdf

-
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good posts... Ken has the Truss timetable sussed. Once she gets her feet under the table at Number Ten there will be a sharp intake of breath then a long pause while 'options are considered'. At no time will the needs of the electorate be paramount.
Peter, she will say anything to get the post. She even promised there would be no fuel rationing yesterday and was immediately contradicted by everyone who actually knows the position.
David. Yes, I have seen similar menus before and we don't get the full effect because we aren't used to London Prices which is what the Parliamentary price should be compared to.
See THIS BBC report on Johnson's promises in his 'last speech' before he slithers off back into the swamp.... Then go and look at the promises he made whilst in power. The investment he is promising is in a 60 year old design that hasn't produced a single satisfactory nuclear power station. See Old Sparky in Private Eyes passim for the full story.
Later... I have heard a Tory commentator on Today making an interesting point. He said it had been a mistake to allow polling to start in the leadership election so early as many voted before they had heard the arguments. I wondered about that myself but decided it was private grief.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS for a disturbing BBC report that Liam Fox received a £20k donation from a firm he recommended to Matt Hancock and which later got a £500k contract without competing.
Otherwise we have nothing but the message wait until Monday to find out who is the latest Tory PM. Deep joy on all counts.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”