READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

Post by Stanley » 09 Sep 2019, 04:00

I have gone back to an old favourite, Dorothy Hartley's 'Food in England'. A lovely book and I have the edition that contains her brilliant pen and ink drawings. Informative and entertaining.

Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques » 09 Sep 2019, 07:01

The Pianist by Wladyslaw Szpilman The survival story of a Polish Jew in Warsaw 1939-45. An excellent read, a relatively small book, around 220 pages. Attracted to it by a discussion about the film ...The Pianist is a 2002 World War II biographical drama film produced and directed by Roman Polanski, the script was written by Ronald Harwood, and starring Adrien Brody. Based on‎: ‎The Pianist‎; by ‎Władysław Szpilman. I haven't seen the film but it sounds like a faithful interpretation. Now showing on Netflix.

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 09 Sep 2019, 07:12

:good: Sounds good....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques » 10 Sep 2019, 17:38

Chernobyl, History of a Tragedy. by Serhii Plokhy. (2018). A very detailed historical study starting with the politics and events that led up to the Chernobyl explosion. Followed by the individual bravery of the workers but overshadowed by the secrecy imposed by central Moscow government. Although clearly non-fiction it reads like a novel tracking events right up to the current enclosing sarcophagus. Well worth a read.

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 11 Sep 2019, 02:36

:good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques » 13 Sep 2019, 08:40

The Fry Chronicles, An autobiography by Stephen Fry, script writer. actor, show host etc: Educated at private prep school and then Queens' Cambridge. Ready to give endless praise to others while self deprecating towards his own failings. Very interesting and amusing but sometimes drops into list of 'whose who' in comedy, acting etc: which is Ok for older readers but may not mean much to younger readers. On the whole an amusing and informative book well worth a read.

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 14 Sep 2019, 04:22

He's an intriguing character isn't he. I am still delighting in Dorothy, something very satisfying about reading about old fashioned cooking on a coal range..... (And those drawings are a delight!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf » 14 Sep 2019, 17:34

Talk of belly pork in other topics has made me dig out my old self sufficiency bibles looking for a favourite recipe. I have always loved John Seymour's books on that subject and keep them safe just in case the world as we know it comes to an end, but its the drawings that are a delight.
20190914_182054.jpg
I have even killed and drawn a hen with the chapter on how to do it open in front of me. :smile:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tripps

Post by Tripps » 14 Sep 2019, 19:38

I bought a 'boiling fowl' from the Grainger market in Newcsastle . Didn't know till I got it home that it came complete with entrails. I'm ashamed to say it ended up in the bin. I coudn't face the job. :smile:

The big decision shopping for meat there was - would it be the ordinary single sided, lamb chops at 30p /lb, or the double sided ones at 40p/lb. I've mentioned before - they sold rooks there - four and twenty black birds baked . . .
Born to be mild. . .

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 15 Sep 2019, 02:28

You needed Dorothy's book David. She has good recipes for all types of bird.
I love books like that Wendy. They remind us of proper cooking when everything was used. That's the brilliant part about Dorothy, she gives medieval recipes and the modern version. She uses words like 'Umbles' for the coarser offal (Eat Humble Pie'. Made for the lowest orders in the household after processing venison.) and 'Tracklements' which are the veggies and herbs to be used for various meats.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Reading”