THE FLATLEY DRYER

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: THE FLATLEY DRYER

Post by Tizer » 13 Jul 2018, 10:04

When I worked in a brewery the danger was from accumulation of CO2 underneath the big open fermentation tanks. In those days you regularly heard of men dragged out unconscious or dead because they'd gone underneath to sort some problem or other with piping or leaks. Similarly, if you fell into the full tank (and walls of the old tanks were only about waist high) you were a goner if someone didn't fish you out immediately. You'd quickly suffocate in the layer of heavy CO2 or drown in the foam. If you spent too long in the hop store you could fall asleep from the effect of the soporific hop oils emanating from the big hop sacks - but by golly it smelt good!

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 14 Jul 2018, 03:11

I used to pick up timber from Glicksten's in Stratford, East London and next door was the Yardley's plant. Always good smells there! Rendering plants were a different kettle of fish! The worst smell I ever encountered was Greaves, minced up rotten partially treated dead cows. Evidently leaving it to start rotting aided the rendering process. It wasn't a strong smell but clung to you and anything it touched for a long time! Marvellous what we put up with in those days....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer » 14 Jul 2018, 09:59

I remember my first trip abroad, to the Continent, and being shocked by the foul smells. And even worse when I first went to the Far East!

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 15 Jul 2018, 02:55

The more I have seen of modern Europe, the more impressed I am by how well they have recovered from the destruction of WW2 and how some cities have looked after the old buildings. Look at Ypres, Churchill recommended keeping the ruins as a reminder of the war, they simply rebuilt it as it was before. Nuremberg is the same.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 16 Jul 2018, 04:12

One household task that seems to have completely vanished is darning woollen socks. Mother would frequently repair holes in the heels of my stockings with neat darns. Socks were kept going until the heels and toes were almost all darns. There was a cunning little gadget that was very common, it was a small metal frame that to clipped over the hole and guided the placing of the weave to fill the hole. I remember them being sold on Stockport market. Mother never used one, she stuck to her wooden mushroom. I wonder how many modern housewives would recognise what one was for?
She stopped ladders in her stockings with clear nail varnish.......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Nostalgia”